midi fx in multi-instrument

okok

Hey knock yourselves out I was just issuing a warning. I use the IAC trick occasionally too but avoid it whenever there is another way because of lack of sample accuracy as well as potential to stumble into feedback loop by clicking on the track header to record. It’s sometimes still useful no doubt. Save often!

What I usually prefer to do is create an instrument channel in the environment that is not assigned to any track header so that it can play whatever midi it needs to play and feed it to IAC without the input ports feeding back into it. If it requires input from the midi keyboard then I have to cable the midi keyboard to it. But then zero feedback loop.

I agree about videos David I feel the same way. I feel videos are easier and cheaper to make then books, but harder to consume. You tube is flooded with free helpful videos that can be very time consuming to find simple answers. Occasionally a video is very helpful to see something in action when needed. Recently I bought Cubase10 and last night I was looking for an up to date book on it that might compare, say, to your book. There is none that I can find. Countless videos that I don't have patience to watch.

Some videos are better than others.

Especially when their scenario are toughtfully crafted and the montage edited as needed.

Which sadly is the case only for a minority.

I believe video tutorials are more suited to demonstrate something that would take pages of text to describe.

OTOH, quick step by step textual ones are more convenient to explajn simple procedures (without too many if and or) and adressed to someone already acquainted.

okok, perhaps if you describe exactly what you are wishing to accomplish, specifying which multi-instrument you intend to use and what those MIDI Fx are suppose to do. For instance, are all those MIDI Fx will process all the same notes, or some notes will be affected by certain MIDI Fx while other notes will by another one?

• 3 years later...

Sorry if this thread is very old, but I came here because I have the same problem. I'll try to explain exactly, at least as far as my specific problem is concerned:

- I have one track with a Kontakt instrument loaded with one library. This instrument is controlled by Scaler 2 (a midi FX).

- I need another track with a another library also controlled by scaler 2.

- I can easily create another track and load it with Kontakt and a new library and have scaler 2 control it in the same way,.

- However, we that use Kontakt are told that, to preserve memory, we use the same kontakt instrument (this time as a multi instrument), load it with several libraries, each automatically assigned a new channel and then add aux channels (using the "+" button in the mixer), create their tracks and assign them to different outputs.

- This bit works very well, and the tracks become independent, each has its independent main volume control and can be armed with different audio FX plugins etc.

- The problem is that the new AUX tracks do not have the possibility to add Midi FX (this field is missing) so that I can add Scaler 2 to the new tracks.

I think this is the same, or similar, problem as the one described in this thread. Please let me know if I should make a new thread.

Using one Kontakt instance would still need the 2 instruments (libraries) to be loaded into ram, so can't see how you would save ram this way, furthermore, it would prevent Logic from splitting up the cpu workload to multiple cores. I would recommend using two instances of Kontakt instead...

Using one Kontakt instance would still need the 2 instruments (libraries) to be loaded into ram, so can't see how you would save ram this way, furthermore, it would prevent Logic from splitting up the cpu workload to multiple cores. I would recommend using two instances of Kontakt instead...

Thanks. OK I probably didn't go into more details..

It is actually many instances of the same library but each with a different articulation..

I got Scaler (v.1.8 for free on PlugIn Boutique).

I'm not familiar with it. I searched for MIDI channel settings in the provided documentation to no avail. There is mention about MIDI channel binding which is resembling to be something like that but did not have time to experiment further,,,

BTW, does Scaler 2 is worth upgrading from v.1?

I got Scaler (v.1.8 for free on PlugIn Boutique).

I'm not familiar with it. I searched for MIDI channel settings in the provided documentation to no avail. There is mention about MIDI channel binding which is resembling to be something like that but did not have time to experiment further,,,

BTW, does Scaler 2 is worth upgrading from v.1?

I've looked at it a bit more. Apparently it is not possible now and seems like a coming feature in Scaler.

Check out this link:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/midi-channels-in-logic/3041

Yes, if you use Scaler it is very much worth it to upgrade to 2. It is really cheap for what it does, especially if you're not absolutely comfortable with music theory like I am.

it's not a scaler-problem, it's a logic-problem: multiple MIDI-channels including individual MIDI-fx in a multi-instrument are not possible. in general, logic is not very flexible as for a as MIDI-routings are concerned.

Yes, this is of course true.. The idea had just occurred to me that as you could have multi instruments out of players like Kontakt to include several libraries in one instance of kontakt, you could also have multi "midi effects" somehow, although not sure how this would be implemented.

Anyway the link above indicates some kind of Scaler update like this.

Meanwhile I have for now to satisfy myself with having multiple tracks each with its own kontakt instance and its own Scaler!