please help me set up ARTz•ID properly with VEPro

D.D. Jackson

I'm diving in/doing lots of searching but my mind is numb as I'm (admittedly!) eager to put these new tools into action and make music :-). My setup is the following:

- I have an early 2009 MacPro already serving as my VEPro "slave", connected to a 2015 Macbook Pro actiing as the "master". All I'd like to do (presuming this is the best approach to achieving this) is:

- on my "slave" computer, load up a single instance of Kontakt on a single instance of VEPro with all the articulations for L.A. Scoring Strings First violins (sustain for first violins sections First Chair, A, B & C; then the same for "short" articulations, "pizz", etc), with all the first group of articulations ("sustain") set to MIDI channel 1 in Kontakt; the 2nd group of articulations ("short") set to MIDI channel 2; for the 3rd group ("pizz") set to 3 (etc).

I was then presuming that there would be a script from ARTz•ID that I could use within Logic on my main Macbook Pro computer to:

- create a stereo software instrument track and choose "VEPro".

- Use it to connect to that single VE Pro "first violins" instance on my slave computer containing the single instance of Kontakt with all the articulations set to ascending MIDI channels.

- somehow program/enable that said script such that when I hit "C0" on my main MIDI keyboard I would get all the patches that correspond to MIDI channel 1 ("sustain"); when I hit (say) D0 I would get the MIDI channel 2 patches (short); and so on.

Is this a logical way to approach it? And (if so), how do I actually set that up? I've again been reading the instructions for ARTz•ID but am stumped as to which script to use and then how to get it to work as in the above (as far as the specific settings in the Script; the settings in VEPro, Logic and Kontakt as far as the MIDI channels - though I may already have this part set up correctly - and even how to generate any sound).

Thanks for any help!

- rj

Hi Rob,

The best approach would be to divide your LASS strings into 5 instances, one for each section (vn1, vn2, va, vc, cb). Trying to pack all of that stuff into one instance is too unwieldy both from a technical and organizational perspective. And there's no downside to using multiple VEPro instances to get this kind of setup off the ground. (In fact, there's no downside to implementing dozens -- or even more -- instances in VEPro, despite what anyone else might tell you).

I'm thinking that you should use the Combinatrix script for this. Load the Combinatrix patch from the library and then add the VEPro plugin to the instrument channel. The Combinatrix lets you address all of the articulations in any combination of up to 16 keyswitching and/or individual articulation patches loaded in the same plugin (or) VEPro Instance.

That's my basic advice.

BTW, what device are you using to switch (select) articulations with?

Best,

Peter Schwartz

(ski)

Hi Peter,

A pleasure to be talking to the developer of this brilliant-seeming program directly! To answer your question: I was planning on just using the low end of my 88-key keyboard (the out of range notes, etc.) to trigger the different articulations for each string section. I'm presuming the idea is that I'd hit C0 when connected to my "First Violins" Instance of VEPro and get the articulations set to MIDI channel 1; and would then hit D0 and get the articulations set in that same VEPro instance to MIDI channel 2, etc.? Just trying to figure out how to achieve this :-)...

- rj

Thanks for your kind comments!

Using notes on your keyboard to select articulations is fine, but the system isn't designed to use keyswitches to select sections and MIDI channels to then select articulations. You asked in your previous post if that was a logical way to approach things, and I'd like to suggest a respectful "no" on that one. :)

Let me ask... what is your ultimate goal? Rather than focusing on the technical means by which you want to achieve this (MIDI channels, instances, etc.), how would you like to work on a musical level? For example, do you want to have an "LASS Violins 1" track and be able to select any of that section's articulations on one track? And the same for the other sections?

Yes - that is exactly what I'd like to achieve and am happy to do it whichever way works best for sure. Definitely experiencing "brain freeze" and (admittedly!) can't figure out how to get any sound out of my current attempts when inserting ARTZid (!) But eager to get going, so much thanks for any additional help.

- rj

Hi Rob, I'll definitely get you up and running, no problem! Because of the intricacies of LASS, I think the easiest way to help you would be via email, or even with a combination of a phone call Plus a TeamViewer session so I can view your set up and show you some options.