Record audio from a website video - Like sampling a youtube video

mugtree2000
Go to solution Solved by des99,

What is the best way to sample this guy? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-46846392/us-shutdown-i-don-t-need-a-wall-i-want-money-to-plant-crops

I use a 2017 MacBook Pro.

I remember years ago I had a Mac that has a 3.5mm jack in and out so would just run a jack to jack cable in and out and record in Ableton.

Only got a jack out on the new mac.

I just want to record his voice into Logic Pro X as an audio file then I can start chopping it up.

Thank you

For YT videos there's several rippers. I'm using ClipGrab (free) which works a treat. Usually, even videos download faster than in realtime, so that's quicker than actually recording things (I simply drag the resulting video into Logic and chose "extract audio track".

For other things I'm using either my interfaces loopback option and in case it's not available, I'm doing it as David suggested already, using SoundFlower.

Audio Hijack is the best and easiest solution for recording app-generated audio, or Piezo if you want really simple.

https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

https://rogueamoeba.com/piezo/

Thank you. This was mega simple. And I think the free version lets you record up to 10 minutes which is plenty for me.

For YT videos there's several rippers. I'm using ClipGrab (free) which works a treat.

Thank you. It works great. Been looking for a way to download audio from Youtube. I used to use websites, like https://www.videograbby.com/, but they don't always work.

You could use SoundFlower. Install it, select SF 2ch as the audio out from your system preferences, and as the audio in from Logic's preferences, and you can start recording any sound your Mac produces in real time.

Thank you David. I haven't explored this option yet, as the above has worked. I will come back to this if anything changes.

• 3 months later...
You could use SoundFlower. Install it, select SF 2ch as the audio out from your system preferences, and as the audio in from Logic's preferences, and you can start recording any sound your Mac produces in real time.

Hi David

Tried this - didn't work... However, I don't need specifically to record system audio (I use Audio Hijack for that, which is fine). I would simply like to be able to analyse system audio (whether from YouTube or some other source) so just need to get system audio into - and through - Logic. Is there a simple way of doing this? If not then I'm stuck because I cannot get Soundflower to work. Thanks, Nick

I agree with David. SF is nice and small and easy.

I remember being a little confused when using it the first time and not getting the right setting.

Did you select SF 2 channel in you Mac preferences as the output? And SF 2 channel as your audio in on your logic preferences? If so then make sure you monitor enabled the audio track you want to record.

Should be working at that point.

Drew

Tried this - didn't work... However, I don't need specifically to record system audio (I use Audio Hijack for that, which is fine). I would simply like to be able to analyse system audio (whether from YouTube or some other source) so just need to get system audio into - and through - Logic. Is there a simple way of doing this? If not then I'm stuck because I cannot get Soundflower to work. Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes, there is a very simple way to do that but it's the one I described. Wether you record the audio in Logic or not, the routing is the same, as long as the audio reaches Logic. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work so if I were you I would double and triple-check my settings, there's no reason it shouldn't work on your Mac.

Question though, you're saying "through" Logic, I'm not sure what you mean: Logic has an input and an output device, you need to select SoundFlower as the input device and then you can route the output of Logic to whatever device you choose, for example your Mac's built-in speakers.

For reference, here are the settings I use:

system-settings.png.90ad520ee535ff040e776fee0b6972dd.png

Logic-settings.png.421d067501c59c2f2b49eab881486978.png

Hi David

Thank you very much for your kind - and very swift - reply. Yup, I think I've done everything right (see below: your setup on the left, mine on the right) but Logic isn't "listening".

Tbh, it's not the end of the world! However, it is still worth pursuing as an intellectual exercise if nothing else.

Cheers,

Nick

1413929799_ScreenShot2019-05-07at13_53_44.thumb.png.2620a6acd895b26bae779bf64b968a88.png

Do you have software monitoring switched on in Logic (well, there should be a signal visible without it, too - but just to make sure).

Usually, Soundflower is a pretty safe bet for these kinda things, and I have yet to see it fail.

However, alternatively: Does your interface have a sort of internal re-routing option? I often prefer this option (called "loopback" on my UAC-2) over SF because I can leave both the system sound and Logic driver menu untouched.

Lol. Thanks, guys. Routing has always been my downfall... thanks esp to Zipfunk: yeah, maybe I had monitoring switched off or something... and Sascha, yes I checked that and all was ok. Thanks for your input.

Anyway, it's working now, kind of... the levels are weirdly low... but it's usable. Yes, it was definitely that I had input monitoring switched off. Duh. Thanks, everyone, for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks, Drew. Very kind of you to say that! Nice to know I'm not the only one. I still find it does something weird to the levels... but I can live with that. As I say, it's more for analytics and stuff (rather than recording) but useful to have found a way of inputing system sound through Logic. Thank you.

You can send the audio from system to logic and record it but with YouTube video I prefer to extract the audio using any number of online tools for that, and import it into the project. I find it to be a bit faster than doing the process in real time and doesn’t require any special setup to work out.

You can send the audio from system to logic and record it but with YouTube video I prefer to extract the audio using any number of online tools for that, and import it into the project. I find it to be a bit faster than doing the process in real time and doesn’t require any special setup to work out.

Well, it's a kinda different workflow.

I sometimes just browse around YT and other audible media websites. Logic is opened all the time and ready to record through my interfaces loopback function. I may then just record the odd sniplet here and there or even keep recording for an hour or so. After that, I may do "things". As of lately, I massively enjoy creating some really weird IRs out of random material (I could perhaps write a little IR tu/tip-torial).

Rogue Amoeba has a couple of tools besides Audio Hijack that will probably be useful as macOS evolves. Loopback (think fully supported Soundflower on steroids) and SoundSource. With Loopback you could create an "input device" that is the audio from your browser and other sources as well. Set Logic to use that as input. The possibilities are impressive.

Thanks, facej. I love Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack and have used it for many years. I did have a look at Loopback: it does have a very nice user interface but, tbh, it seems to me not much more than a "polished" version of Soundflower. And at £/$199 a wee bit financially challenging. :shock:......:lol:

Ok, so here's a (I hope) definitive method for capturing system audio into Logic Pro. The good thing about this method is that you don't necessarily have to record anything: you can, if you wish, simply play system audio through Logic and analyse it using Logic's own familiar tools.

First of all, make sure you have Soundflower installed. This is available from Matt Ingalls' excellent developer site here:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/tag/2.0b2

1. In the Mac menu bar, click on the sound icon and set to Output Device: Soundflower (2ch). If for some reason you can't see it, restart your machine.

2. Now in Logic go to Preferences>Audio. Set Input to Soundflower (2ch). Output can be anything - either Built-In Output or, perhaps more usually, your DA box.

Don't forget to hit "Apply Changes".

Your settings should now look something like this:

235175431_ScreenShot2019-05-07at15_31_51.thumb.png.10b6b4603c755f22cd1fc82738da4e08.png

3. Now input-enable an audio track

1498900414_ScreenShot2019-05-07at15_28_00.png.c66acb4c38c3ab0c0f96f1aa73a7e503.png

4. On the audio channel’s own channel strip, make sure Input is set to Input 1-2 (or whatever you have called your main stereo input).

1836663292_ScreenShot2019-05-07at15_30_37.png.9cab792478e537dabc2bd9ac3aa74a47.png

And that's it. You should now be getting system audio through Logic.

A word about level. You will probably have to set your System volume level (in the Mac's menu bar) to maximum in order to get a satisfactory level going through Logic. I don't know why this is. Maybe there's a crafty setting somewhere to get around this... but I'll leave that to others.

Or you could, as Drew says, throw a Gain onto the channel strip! I found that if I left my System audio level at nominal (for me, that's about halfway) and put a Gain on the input strip at maximum (+24dB) then this restored my input level (and thus output level) to comfortable (i.e. nominal) metering and listening levels.

If anyone finds any errors in all the above, please let me know and I'll edit. Hope this is helpful. Cheers, Nick