Pops/clicks when using Flex Time

zemelb

I've been having this issue for a while now but after exhausting every option I can find, I'm posting here. Flex Time is giving me pops/clicks at every flex marker that's been adjusted. It's happening in Monophonic mode. I've tried the other modes and while polyphonic and rhythmic get rid of the pops, it adds other artifacts that are even worse. Anyone have any ideas?

Mac Pro (trash can model), Logic 10.4.4, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 interface.

• 5 months later...

Hey, zemelb. I'm getting the same issue on recent projects. My vocalist wasn't perfectly on time and that resulted in me using "Flex Time - Monophonic."

My only answer is to find a new way to quantize time. Flex is a nightmare for this. I may end up posting a video of how bad this vocal performance is now. Every single marker has a "break" sound on it. If I remove the marker there is no "pop." I have to result in manually moving each note in Melodyne.

• 10 months later...

Wanted to echo this. I consistently find artifacts while editing vocals in Flex Time, no matter what mode. God forbid you ever try and use Flex and Follow to make tempo adjustments to the whole project. The tempo markers that are written into the file (the solid blue Flex markers) create some very noticeable interruptions in the waveform.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and my god, I'd love to be enlightened.

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll say it here as well; in my experience the FlexPitch function is far less artifact-ey that the Monophonic mode. It might be worth a try, it's just a slightly different process of moving the ends of the detected pitches rather than the vertical transient lines. Of course, it _always_ depends on the source recording and performance, but it's saved me a few times when I didn't have Melodyne.

• 1 year later...

So I think what is happening here is that the track tempo for the region is out of whack with the project tempo. Here is the process that works for me:

1. Turn off flex time

2. Right click the region you are having issues with popping.

3. Go to Tempo -> Click on Write Project Tempo to Audio File

4. Turn Flex Time back on

5. Right Click on Region

6. Click on Reset All Flex Edits

You should be good to go!

I've been noticing this same issue with artifacts. I have tried going into the audio editor and cleaning up the position of transient markers. That definitely seems to help sometimes. But it's much harder when a vocalist strings two words/vowels together. It makes it difficult to find exactly where the transient is.