FL Studio's Claw Machine in Logic Pro X?

anp27

Is there any way to get the Claw Machine effect in Logic? Here's a link of what it is:

So far I've tried using the Time Handles feature in Logic but it just doesn't work the same way that the Claw Machine does unfortunately... does anybody have any cool workarounds they'd like to share?

I think that I understand what you are looking for.

I am not at the studio presenly to check if simply time-stretching a region could just do that.

In the meantime, another (convulted) approach could be to use the tempo global track:

• draw an accelerando (or decelerando) curve covering the target MIDI events
  • SMPTE lock the targetted MIDI events
  • reset the tempo global track to the original (~steady) tempo

I am not at the studio presenly to check if simply time-stretching a region could just do that.

In the meantime, another (convulted) approach could be to use the tempo global track:

• SMPTE lock the targetted MIDI events

Hmmm that seems very convoluted indeed!

I tried using Time Handles and also time-stretching but I don't get the same effect as the Claw Machine unfortunately...

• SMPTE lock the targetted MIDI events period

Hmmm that seems very convoluted indeed!

I tried using Time Handles and also time-stretching but I don't get the same effect as the Claw Machine unfortunately...

Give it a try anyway, you will get the sought result.

Give it a try anyway, you will get the sought result.

Thanks Atlas, yes, I just tried it but and it does work but I really don't see myself using that method.. just wish there was a simpler way... :(

I agree with you, it really does not compare with the user-friendlyness of the FL Claw... Edited by Atlas007

i use Kirnu Cream http://www.kirnuarp.com

You can do a lot more with that, and on the fly too. But it’s maybe not what you’re wanting as it won’t rewrite the piano roll data, but thought I’d mention it as it would give a similar end result.

The other way of course, is to record/hold sustained notes down and apply a midi fx arp and automate its tempo and gate time. Then use midi freeze Midi FX plugin to save it out as a region.

In cream it has its own sequencer, and one of the options on the step sequencer page is to divide a step into two (div), so you can chain those up to create that crescendo/roll effect. It also has shift events too which offsets the start position of each step.

And you can also set up patterns at differing rates and use the lower octaves to switch patterns on the fly, which can get really deep. So you could program those glitche

On top of that, you have the option to automate many of the parameters, and it has its own internal tempo also. But of course, that’s something you can do with Logics own arp too.

The main advantage of course, is that when you have patterns setup you can apply them to any track in future, almost like a quantise map, I guess, and you can get good old rhythmic phrases out of, as well as wild/tripped out glitchiness.

Whether it gives you ‘exactly’ what the claw machine does, I couldn’t say as I don’t use fruity. But it definetly provides a ton of similar based effects on a midi level.

In cream it has its own sequencer, and one of the options on the step sequencer page is to divide a step into two (div), so you can chain those up to create that crescendo/roll effect. It also has shift events too which offsets the start position of each step.

And you can also set up patterns at differing rates and use the lower octaves to switch patterns on the fly, which can get really deep. So you could program those glitche

On top of that, you have the option to automate many of the parameters, and it has its own internal tempo also. But of course, that’s something you can do with Logics own arp too.

The main advantage of course, is that when you have patterns setup you can apply them to any track in future, almost like a quantise map, I guess, and you can get good old rhythmic phrases out of, as well as wild/tripped out glitchiness.

Awesome, thanks for this detailed explanation :) Will check it out!

In the Kimu Cream manual, there is mention about sync issues...

• AU plugin

• AU plugin is intended to be used only with DAWs which don’t support VST plugins. For example Apple Logic.

• AU plugin uses Virtual Output to send MIDI to the host so there might be some latency involved when using AU plugin. It is also important to note that AU plugin is not in perfect sync with the host application because of the latency.

• When AU plugin is inserted to some track in the host DAW a virtual MIDI input is generated for each Cream instance. This MIDI input is named as “From Cream x” where x is the instance number starting from 0.

• Please use VST plugin whenever it is possible

What is your experience about that?

I Can't recall any sync issues with Cream.

I think that text maybe refers to the AU plugin which runs different. i.e. you have to use the virtual midi port to feed the instrument track as AU's don't pass on MIDI Natively. So you'd load it up as a software instrument and have to wire up via environment or some such route.

Whereas i use the Midi FX plugin with Logic, so it can sit between the sequencer and instrument, without the need for any virtual ports etc. I use it on my external synths this way, and it's great. On the piano roll itself i just drag notes out in the key that i wish to sequence, and let Kirnu manipulate.

The tempo rubato or accelerando of midi notes interests me a lot. I know how to do it in audio. However when you are shaping a track still in midi it is cumbersome to bounce audio. The FL Studio plugin does what i am, and most likely other folks look for that matter too. This is done in classic music all the time. The midi transform page has definable math options that are a way over my head. If anyone could enlighten me how, and if this is possible within that page, that would be highly appreciated. I tried the workaround, but that is a creative workflow showstopper. Been also thru the absolute fantastic build in midi plugins and scripts, but could not find anything. Cheers.... Edited by Specta

Yeah... secretly hoping that someone would chime in with some MIDI Transform settings or even a Scripter plugin :( This is one of those rare cases where I say, "Why can't Logic just be able to do this?" That, and simply routing MIDI instead of having to use a bus...

Ok, I just remembered that I have BreakTweaker and that it has a feature called "Micro Edit" and by moving the "Tension" knob I can pretty much get the Claw Machine effect I've been looking for, you can watch how it works here:

And below is me moving the Tension knob which produces the Claw Machine effect:

1265341614_BTClawMachine.thumb.gif.ebf2e71b3a3f40f85a54f51c16180ee2.gif

So in short, I already own a plugin that has this feature :) Would still be great if we had some stock features though the way FL does so I don't have to use a third party plugin. Also, iZotope has pretty much discontinued BreakTweaker and dropped all support for it. Plus, it is a CPU hog and has a really strange UI that doesn't make sense... why the heck can't I view 2 whole bars at once???? Weird choice...but iIt has the feature I was looking for so I'm happy enough :)

Let's hope that a developer reads this post. Ideally the rubato or accelerando function would be under "Time Handles" in the Functions menu. Where yet you can expand or shorten selected notes. By let's say adding shift or control while stretching the notes, the rubato or accelerando effect could be achieved. Ideally accompanied by a dedicated controller in the Automation/Midi bar below. Fingers crossed.

Let's hope that a developer reads this post. Ideally the rubato or accelerando function would be under "Time Handles" in the Functions menu. Where yet you can expand or shorten selected notes. By let's say adding shift or control while stretching the notes, the rubato or accelerando effect could be achieved. Ideally accompanied by a dedicated controller in the Automation/Midi bar below.

This is EXACTLY how I envisioned the Time Handles function to work. It seems like Time Handles, along with a few other newly introduced features seemed "half-baked", like the idea is great but it wasn't implemented in the best manner. However, the pattern I'm seeing is they'll introduce a feature and then on a later update, improve upon it. Let's hope this happens for Time Handles as well.

Let's hope that a developer reads this post. Ideally the rubato or accelerando function would be under "Time Handles" in the Functions menu. Where yet you can expand or shorten selected notes. By let's say adding shift or control while stretching the notes, the rubato or accelerando effect could be achieved. Ideally accompanied by a dedicated controller in the Automation/Midi bar below.

This is EXACTLY how I envisioned the Time Handles function to work. It seems like Time Handles, along with a few other newly introduced features seemed "half-baked", like the idea is great but it wasn't implemented in the best manner. However, the pattern I'm seeing is they'll introduce a feature and then on a later update, improve upon it. Let's hope this happens for Time Handles as well.

I think that to add weight to such wish, one should consider filling a feature request on the official Logic Pro Feedback website...

• 1 year later...
How do you automate an accelerando to a region? in region inspector the speed up/slow down via fader tool also totally changes pitch. flex time changes the whole region - or am I missing something? global tempo track changes tempo of all regions at once. Chop up the region and flex each separate section a bit faster, then fade them into each other? Dealing with a midi loop bounced so it obviously isn't something i could just record with the accel myself or I would. (btw you and atlast007 and Nogan seem to be on the same page as I am on so many things. glad this forum exists, while I keep running into things I want to do and can't yet and that likewise that few seem interested in. Hope the above request gets all you mentioned above...And sorry if my accelerando question is very newbie. I'm still catching up post-hiatus and lots has changed).

Have you considered SMPTE locking everything except the region you wish to accelerate. Then use the global tempo track to draw the desired accelerando onto the (flex-timed) region. Once achieved, bounce-in-place that region, disable its flex-time (if still on), SMPTE lock that region, reset the tempo global track to the previous set. Now you can SMPTE unlock the other regions. Bounce-in-place the accelerated region. Then you can finally SMPTE unlock that region as well.

Not at the studio to verify same, But I think that should work...

There might be other methods using other tempo tools.

Is there any way to get the Claw Machine effect in Logic? Here's a link of what it is:

So far I've tried using the Time Handles feature in Logic but it just doesn't work the same way that the Claw Machine does unfortunately... does anybody have any cool workarounds they'd like to share?

Turns out it was a little easier than I thought.

Now I have a Random Drum Pattern Generator in Logic Pro X. :mrgreen:

Turns out it was a little easier than I thought.

Now I have a Random Drum Pattern Generator in Logic Pro X. :mrgreen:

Indeed very cool!

Imagine experimenting with other features (i.e swing) and MIDI FX / audio plugins?

Literally hours of pure fun!

Yes, thanx for sharing! :D

Is this your ultimate goal. Just asking.