Sample rate and equipment compatibility

Pauly 6 String

Hello all. I have a question regarding sample rate and all my gear. I have the option of 44.1 or 48 kHz for Logic, AX8, XR18, PCM recorder etc. I understand that audio for video should be at 48kHz and stand alone audio is generally 44.1.

Big question is should I set my devices for 48kHz if they're going to be used in a video? What should my default be?

I just did a short video from my nephews birthday party where I used camera audio and recorded guitar from an AX8 through the XR18 into logic then into Final Cut. It all sounded OK to my ears.

Thanks

Big question is should I set my devices for 48kHz if they're going to be used in a video?

Yes.

What should my default be?

What default?

Thanks for your reply

I guess by “default” I mean can I just leave everything set to 48 for general use?

Or only use 48 when specifically recording for video?

I guess by “default” I mean can I just leave everything set to 48 for general use?

Or only use 48 when specifically recording for video?

Music for video is usually at 48k.

Music without video can be recorded at any sample rate, based on your equipment's capabilities, but when you bounce the final master, you have to convert to 44.1k.

Staying at 44.1k for music is fine. Many hit records were recorded at that sample rate.