Update iLok or not?

Joe Lonsdale

I have an iLok running in my dual-boot OS 10.6.8 / 10.11.6 Mac Pro. I have tempted to by a couple of super cheap Metric Halo plugins in their spring sale but the authentication dialogue is asking me to update my iLok software. According to the iLok website, this will render my iLok incompatible with OS 10.6.8 as the new licensing system requires OS 10.7 or above. According to the iLok legacy page, there is a 2.5.3 installer that is compatible with OS 10.6 which I could download. The big question: should I update my iLok so I can use my new Metric Halo Channel Strip and Character plugins, or is there an element of risk that I'll end up with a non-functional iLok in OS 10.6.8 and lose all my lovely old plugins?

Did you try writing to ILOK and the 3rd party plug-ins? I HATE Ilok, yet am forced to use it, have 100 plug-ins one it. (I also understand companies feel they need to use them). ILOK has gotten their software updaters/activaters up to date so it's painless to add new plug-ins.

But in the past, I got they feeling, they are just there to make as much $$$ as they can.. You don't want to screw up and lose activations.. On occasion, with a major computer crash, I have gotten 3rd party plug-in companies to extend another activation to me.. Sorry I wasn't so helpful.

I am not sure if you can 'roll back' an ILOK.. you should definitely clarify this with them before moving forward.

maybe it's time to move on from 10.6.8? it's a decade old, and, if/when you need to update your hardware, it will be...obsolete.

since you're already working in logic X, why not move forward? you can import your L9 projects (easy), and have one OS to boot to, one logic to work on, one set of plugins to manage.

just my thoughts of course!

I will stop using 10.6.8 at some point, but it just runs so well! My decade old Mac Pro runs like silk and I have all the plugins I need (except the Metric Halo ones obviously!). The Mac doesn't run Logic 10 so well and I am happy to wait another couple of years before investing in the new Mac Pro (!) and once again being up to date for a while...

I will stop using 10.6.8 at some point, but it just runs so well! My decade old Mac Pro runs like silk and I have all the plugins I need (except the Metric Halo ones obviously!). The Mac doesn't run Logic 10 so well and I am happy to wait another couple of years before investing in the new Mac Pro (!) and once again being up to date for a while...

got it. things working is more important than anything else, ultimately...