view mix level while in arrange window...

fisherking

any way to have the mix output level show even if i'm moving around in the arrange window? am fine-tuning details in a mix, but would like to keep an eye on the output level;

when i move around, the info window on the left changes (of course), to show the track i am editing.

but i'd like to have a view of the main output visible while i work (without opening up the mixer). possible?

I put the Loudness Meter plug-in in the very last slot of the Stereo Out, double-click to open it, position it accordingly on the screen and save the screenset. It stays in view no matter what window or track is chosen. (I'm also careful to keep the Master Volume slider at 0.0 dB.)

Might that work for you?

dewdman, that's the MASTER volume; i want to see the OUTPUT volume (& want a numeric value).

What's the distinction between "MASTER" volume and OUPUT volume? I am not sure what that toolbar fader actually does...but the meter seems to mirror what is happening on the stereo out channel...what am I missing?

I agree with David though, the left side inspector normally shows two strips, the channel associated with the currently selected track and the stereo out channel.

there's the master volume, and the output volume; am trying to monitor the output volume; plus, am looking for the numeric value.

the mix channel DOES show on the left, until i start editing tracks (i have everything grouped in track stacks, so the right channel strip (on the left) switches to that stack...

wish i could 'detach' the mix channel and leave it over the arrange window. anyway, plowman's idea helps...

In terms of the meter, there is no such thing as master volume. The master fader in the mixer is a vca fader, not an actual channel, it has no meter. The meter you see on the toolbar should be the same meter you see on the output bus. But the slider itself is effecting the master fader true.

I used to have a floating environment window jus for that (before Logic had a double channel strip in the Inspector). You could do that. Open the MIDI Environment, move the Stereo Out to the top left of a layer, choose View > Framless Floating Window, resize to taste, position, lock your screenset.

do u use track stacks? i understand the idea in the channel strip in the inspector (selected track on the left, track stack on the right). will try your idea, thanx!

Yes, I do. You can click a destination on the left channel strip to update the right channel strip, so if your track stack is a folder stack and track is routed to the Stereo Out, just click the Stereo Out routing. If you're using a summing stack you need to select the stack's main track or any other track routed to the Stereo Out.

With the frameless floating environment window none of this is an issue. Just make sure you turn off the purple link button before turning the environment window into a floating window.

An aside: the Loudness Meter offers an integrated LUFS read-out ( the "I" column) not found in the Stereo Out.

LUFS (loudness units relative to full scale) is important for mastering. Different venues have (slightly) different LUFS standards. For example, Spotify aims for -14 dB LUFS.

This may be an even more compelling reason to keep Loudness Meter plug-in in a screenset towards the end of the mixing process.

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/76296773-mastering-audio-for-soundcloud-itunes-spotify-and-youtube

An aside: the Loudness Meter offers an integrated LUFS read-out ( the "I" column) not found in the Stereo Out.

LUFS (loudness units relative to full scale) is important for mastering. Different venues have (slightly) different LUFS standards. For example, Spotify aims for -14 dB LUFS.

This may be an even more compelling reason to keep Loudness Meter plug-in in a screenset towards the end of the mixing process.

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/76296773-mastering-audio-for-soundcloud-itunes-spotify-and-youtube

i saw that, but none of the mastering ppl i use have ever asked for the lufs measurement, always peak (and generally, around -6db)... so will use the peak reading in 'meter'. good info, tho...

am going to use a meter on the output, think that's the simplest (& best) solution for me. thanks all for your help & ideas!

The Level Meter plug-in always floats on top. Place it in a corner or where ever you like. I sometimes uses the vertical layout of the meter stretched from the top to bottom of my monitor, to the right of Main window, at a cost of some horizontal real estate.

Only remember that you are metering prefader when using the plugin method; If your mixing workflow involves adjusting the master- or stereo out- faders, Davids solution using the environment float window is the best.

Good to know. Thanks.

The workaround is to route all tracks to a submix aux before the main output.

Edited by Mr. V

• 1 month later...

Hi, first post. Thank you, David for writing the book. I just started reading the Logic Pro X 10.4 and am on page 50.

For the loop it says to drag down the Volume fader until the Gain display reads 10.0. However, the area where the Gain meter is in the book is showing peak level on my mixer. How do it get the mixer to display gain instead of peak level?

Thank you!