I cannot move audio regions to a new track [SOLVED]

aurorah
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi all,

This is infuriating and stopping me from getting my work done, hopefully someone can help. I cannot move audio (live recorded) regions to other tracks and I have no idea why. The SMPTE setting is unlocked, my snap is set to smart and drag to X-fade.. I can move the regions within the same track, but I can't transfer them to another. When I tried copying and pasting to another track, I could do so, but there's no sound in the copied track. Help?!

Aurorah

every one now... This was never a problem before...

I think what happened is that I was working on a project that had multiple tracks on it for multiple songs, and I tried to lock the tracks so that when I was working on another section of the project I wouldn't mess up the regions of other sections, except the only regions that I cannot move now are the audio ones, and I don't know what I pushed to make that happen (it's always just a button isn't it?!)

When you say 'move' do you really mean to move the selection? You might have the setting 'Limit dragging to one direction' enabled for Tracks. This exhibits itself as an inability to move a region to a new track (above or below) if you start by dragging left/right to put it in position.

I have no idea why your copy/paste doesn't work. It works as expected when I try it.

when I say move I mean move a selected region to another track, so the "limit dragging to one direction" setting sounds like it might be the problem... how do I undo that setting?

maybe that will fix the copy/paste problem as well... that one is weird as all the sound is still there, but the visual regions are gone

the audio region is already in an audio track, I still cannot move it to another audio track, and I don't know what a track stack is, sorry... If you mean the thing that comes up when you do multiple takes, I have not done that (because I don't know how to deal with it).

when I say move I mean move a selected region to another track, so the "limit dragging to one direction" setting sounds like it might be the problem... how do I undo that setting?

Preferences>General>Editing

there should be a setting at the bottom of the page

k, I may have found a workaround... when I copy and paste each audio region into another track, open the track stack and drag the audio region into the first track in the stack, it works... but I still don't understand why I can't just drag the original audio recording to a new track... I always could (been using this program for at least 7 years - though my knowledge is rudimentary).

• Solution
I can move the region between the track stacks, but no matter where I put it, when I condense the track stack I still cannot move the region to another track

Ok that's normal (even though not intuitive), the audio region is not on the main track of the stack, that's just a representation of the contents of the stack. You have to open the stack to access the region that is actually located on a subtrack inside the stack.

• 2 years later...
WORKAROUND.... I have just replaced my hardrive and had to reinstall osx etc and somehow I've ended up with same problem never encountered before..... record your audio onto an plain audio track which doesn't involve a preset ie I have guitar or bass available.. there may be more now in later versions. Once you have done that with input selected etc set up your channel effects manually or by copying and pasting from a preset of your choice...and away you go ... you can move/edit as before.