Logic of Logic's cmd-option-shift-ctrl combinations

rmachin

Getting used to Logic and becoming more familiar with the key combinations, but I can't figure out if there's a method to the madness of those combinations -- when it's with cmd, when it's option, when its ctrl-shift etc. I'm thinking all those combinations just emerged over time without any masterplan -- kind of 'what's left for this function?' but anyone know if there's a way to predict, given a function, what the likely modifier keys are going to be for the shortcut (then guess the alpha key)?

Just trying to avoid the random change and rushed cmd-z or the dreaded white flash of stupidity when making a guess.

-- Richard.

I'd venture there is some compromise between already common key combination used in other apps, some relation with previously similar commands and ever additions of new ones.

In Logic, key commands are customizable. Creating different sets for different project types could improve your workflow. And since your signature mentions that you are using Pro Tools, you might benefit about using the Pro Tools preset readily available in Logic.

Edited by Atlas007

Good point re using a familiar key set, but I plan to take the certification so don't want to confuse the issue too far! It's surprising how those things get into muscle memory and you don't actually remember which keys you push in a given circumstance.

"I'm thinking all those combinations just emerged over time without any masterplan -- kind of 'what's left for this function?'"

That is generally the case.

You'll find that occasionally you get a "run" of similar commands. For example, hold shift-control-command in the Score window, and that plus i is score styles, s is staff styles, o is score colors, and there are numerous others.

Another run comes with select commands. Shift plus e is select equal regions, o is overlapped regions, p is subpositions, etc.

Command plus number 0 through 9 will open a given stand-alone window.

Here's two very helpful, similar commands: hold control-option-command (the big modifiers all in a row on most keyboards) plus T shows / hides the Toolbar, and plus C shows / hides the Control Bar -- great for maximizing screen space, and easy for the fingers to find.

So, as I'm sure you've already discovered, there's enough similarities to make you *think* there could be a master plan at work. But the deeper you look, the harder it is to make universal connections. There's just too many KC's to accommodate.

One last thought: after a season of book-learnin' a few years ago -- with David's book and a couple of others -- I decided I would stay true to as many default KC's as possible. As I refresh my Logic skills from time to time and return to those same resources, it keeps things simpler.

Thanks - yes, I think I'd rather get them down once and not have any interference with other DAWs - it helps my only other experience is PC-based, so I can retrain myself inside and outside of Logic to help make it stick.

I guess I was hoping for a magic formula that would make everything completely intuitive, but never mind -- it's great as it is and certainly my favorite way of working so far (I'm no expert, but I have struggled far, far more to accomplish the same tasks elsewhere).

Logics master plan is to put the most common actions on single keys, less common with a modifier, even less common with multiple modifiers. And it uses keys that make some type of sense, like first letter of the action being the letter of key used or other logical connection. Like B ( with a modifier) is bounce, arrow keys move stuff, T (+ modifier) is Trim,

This is at the cost of a more logical layout (as in, like functions being on adjacent keys, grouped together in physical locations).

Personally I prefer having a less physically logical layout in favor of logic’s approach because they are easier to remember.

A useful tool that helps learn them is to have tool tips active (so hovering over a button shows the key command for an action). Then instead of using burtons to perform an action, hover over the button until the key command shows up, and then use the key command. After you learn and remember the key command for that action well, remove the button and add new ones.

The Option modifier is often involved when there is question about copying.

There are so many KC. I would concentrate on those mapped to the commands you do often or repeatedly.

I don't think that it is really useful to know them all by heart. Those worth customizing are those related to tools selection.

I have no intention of sitting at anyone else's machine, and even if I did, I wouldn't worry about looking like a moron (it's happened too many times), I'd just use the mouse. I largely use the same few commands. I don't mess with the common ones like select all, etc. I just zero the rest, and when I find I'm doing something repetitively, define a keyboard shortcut. But to each their own. Configurabilty is one of LPX's major attractions for me.