new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

Yes, folks, it's for the new Mac Pro which looks for all the world like...an old Mac Pro, cheese grater style, with PCIe slots and all. What a lot of people have been wanting, with that kind of configurability, although at what cost it might make your eyes water I reckon.

And what's the bet that the new OS and possibly new Logic won't run on those old Mac Pros that a massive amount of people still use.

Yes, folks, it's for the new Mac Pro which looks for all the world like...an old Mac Pro, cheese grater style, with PCIe slots and all. What a lot of people have been wanting, with that kind of configurability, although at what cost it might make your eyes water I reckon.

And what's the bet that the new OS and possibly new Logic won't run on those old Mac Pros that a massive amount of people still use.

good, the real complaints have started... :roll:

Was so nice to see the Mac Pro unveiled... finally something physical and i love the design. Then it hit... $5999 'starting' price... holy balls! Comes with 256GB storage- over 11 years ago the base spec had 320GB storage and was half the price - this is just criminal and way out of ratio to even make sense to me.

+$1000 for a monitor stand ... Whats that about?! lol

Think i'm done with them, sadly. Spending 6k on a machine that you have to immediately upgrade is just insane. I'll wait to see the business lease options and the standard upgrades, but really, i can't do those prices and justify it/see it back so easily.

If i came back in 5 years time of course, may be a great machine to pick up on ebay, but they may be collectors items as the last 'great' intel macs! :)

Edit: Screenshot looks very Studio One like, will look amazing on the new displays!

*runs off and cries about money to anyone who listens*

Was so nice to see the Mac Pro unveiled... finally something physical and i love the design. Then it hit... $5999 'starting' price... holy balls! Comes with 256GB storage- over 11 years ago the base spec had 320GB storage and was half the price - this is just criminal and way out of ratio to even make sense to me.

+$1000 for a monitor stand ... Whats that about?! lol

Think i'm done with them, sadly. Spending 6k on a machine that you have to immediately upgrade is just insane. I'll wait to see the business lease options and the standard upgrades, but really, i can't do those prices and justify it/see it back so easily.

If i came back in 5 years time of course, may be a great machine to pick up on ebay, but they may be collectors items as the last 'great' intel macs! :)

Edit: Screenshot looks very Studio One like, will look amazing on the new displays!

*runs off and cries about money to anyone who listens*

maybe.... check the specs on these things? the pricing is very apple, and not surprising. but they are giving you some incredible machines/specs. personally, none of it seems shocking, and the specs, and the designs, are incredible.

maybe.... check the specs on these things? the pricing is very apple, and not surprising. but they are giving you some incredible machines/specs. personally, none of it seems shocking, and the specs, and the designs, are incredible.

Oh i was just hopeful there may be something in the $4k (Whatever that equates to in GBP) range - even that was pushing finances a bit, i just can't afford it and feel kinda jealous and pished off with it all really as i really desire them.

I'm just done for financial reasons, feels like a player at the poker table sat with cobwebs on my face right now. guh! :( It's their pricing, can't knock it if it's sucessful for them, just means the end of the road for me on a Mac platform i think.. very sad. Avoiding the trash can pros just makes it worse as i'm sat here with great gear that has just aged and always had trust in the Mac Pros, we need two here really and i can't be putting out 12k plus support package. Unless some maniac offers a great business lease plan in the uk. :)

Trust me, if you were sat here contemplating buying two machines for 12k that you know you have to upgrade as well, you may feel the shock a bit more - it's different reading a price on paper to actually paying that money, especially when the money could be put to better use.

Edited by skijumptoes

Oh i was just hopeful there may be something in the $4k (Whatever that equates to in GBP) range - even that was pushing finances a bit, i just can't afford it and feel kinda jealous and pished off with it all really as i really desire them.

I'm just done for financial reasons, feels like a player at the poker table sat with cobwebs on my face right now. guh! :( It's their pricing, can't knock it if it's sucessful for them, just means the end of the road for me on a Mac platform i think.. very sad. Avoiding the trash can pros just makes it worse as i'm sat here with great gear that has just aged and always had trust in the Mac Pros, we need two here really and i can't be putting out 12k plus support package. Unless some maniac offers a great business lease plan in the uk. :)

what about a high end imac? honestly, my new i7 21" imac is killing it; best logic experience i've ever had.

but i get it, apple is expensive, it always has been. it's why i give blood twice a day, rob banks, and sell empty macbook pro boxes at the tunnel entrances on highways; whatever it takes to own the hardware i prefer to use.

Screenshot looks very Studio One like, will look amazing on the new displays!

Am I missing something here? To me this looks just like good ol‘ LPX 10.4.

Perhaps, i've been using Cubase lately and the screenshot looked nice to me, maybe the 6k resolution makes it look better but it seems to be so much cleaner, flatter to me and more definition?!

Screenshot looks very Studio One like, will look amazing on the new displays!

Am I missing something here? To me this looks just like good ol‘ LPX 10.4.

nothing under-the-hood revealed in these screenshots, of course. a flatter GUI, etc. but exciting as it suggests the next logic version will be here soon...

I'm not particularly surprised at the price. this thing is really aimed at visual developers - video, cinema and games people who need a lot of horsepower and will pay for it. And Hans Zimmer wannabes. For the rest of us who don't plan using a thousand tracks and three orchestras, you can work fine with a decently priced iMac. A souped up Mac Mini would be good - i.e. iMac without the screen - and better spec'd than the most recent one.

what about a high end imac? honestly, my new i7 21" imac is killing it; best logic experience i've ever had.

All my imacs have had problems in the past so i'm really hesitant on getting one - not saying these will fail of course, just my experience previously.

I struggle on 2x 24" screens, I think if i were to stick with Mac it'd be i7 Mini as i can keep my monitor setup, but i like a proper machine that i can manage myself, swap the drives on it, use it for diagnosing other machines (Plugging components in/out), upgrade easily etc.

Not hating on Apple really, i just don't think i fit their demographic so much now - but i'm not the guy who walks around with an apple watch or latest iphone either, i just like things to be functional really. Perhaps they'll bring out Abacus Pro for me. :)

The specs of this new macPro are simple staggering. I think it sets a new bar for what a desktop computer can be. I am SOOO happy to see that they went back to a tower design with PCI slots, etc..like the cheesegrater, but just better and updated to 2019 specs.

All that being said, its likely going to be 2025 before I can afford one of these beasts. It will be a long slow process as software is improved to make use of such monster specs. I think only relatively few high end pros will need this kind of power in the immediate future. But I am happy, no ecstatic, to see that Apple went back to a tower design and PCI slots... this gives me a lot more confidence that I will not need to leave OSX for Windows for at least another decade.

I'm not particularly surprised at the price. this thing is really aimed at visual developers - video, cinema and games people who need a lot of horsepower and will pay for it. And Hans Zimmer wannabes. For the rest of us who don't plan using a thousand tracks and three orchestras, you can work fine with a decently priced iMac. A souped up Mac Mini would be good - i.e. iMac without the screen - and better spec'd than the most recent one.

then i feel lucky, as i only need 900 tracks and two orchestras. but the specs and design of the new pro (and the monitor) are seriously impressive...

Found this on the Mac Pro page. I mean this with absolutely no sass or snark - I wouldn't have guessed performance power for Logic Pro usage was measured in Amp Designer instances? I would've guessed Alchemy.

From the keynote photos the only difference I see is an enhanced Performance Monitor. 9 to 5 Mac claims the following from the keynote:

"Brand new version of Logic with focus on performance."

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/apple-unveils-new-modular-mac-pro-at-wwdc-2019/

709213042_Screenshot2019-06-0315_48_32.thumb.png.f444db933982856d617a8e402bd98c0c.png

Be interesting to see if the new version of Logic will require MacOS Catalina (or even Mojave) which, if true, leaves me out as my 2012 MP won't run either.

seems a bit premature to worry; we'll know when apple lets us know (as always)... but i doubt catalina would be a minumum requirement, ie an OS that no one's yet installed...