Dictation and voice commands

rhoulian

Hi everyone

I am testing vocal dictation on mac osx 10.12 and logic.

I manage to get some interesting stuff (basically every menu function : create new tracks, copy/paste, save..., and also some actions linked to shortcuts)

This is really improving the workflow ! and this is our future, with the progress of A.I. !!!

Anyway I have some issues with transport commands (if you want to keep the "space" key, it seems there is no way to parameter a vocal command. Same thing with all "simple" keyboard shortcuts which involve a single letter, or uppercase+letter... that may be fixed by setting complicated shortcuts (alt+cmd+uppercase+$), but making shortcuts impossible to memorize (and messing all existing shortcuts also!)

I did not succeed while trying to use a voice command to grab a tool (imagine if you can change the main tool just by saying its name)... but it seems that's because of logic developers, who did not designed the toolbar to be used with simple and direct shortcuts.

Maybe we'll soon have a version of logic X where you can use the "learn" function to learn a vocal command ? Am I dreaming ?

Anyway if some of you guys have some experience with vocal control, I'm ready to accept your help :-)

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Actually there is an application that does what you did and what you want to be doing, provided you have an iPhone.

It's a voice assistant for Logic Pro X and you can assign functions to voice commands, including selecting tools. You define a voice command you want to say and link it to the function, e.g say "marquee" to select the marquee tool. Once you launch the app it will ask you to import your key commands from Logic Pro, then you to download and launch the iOS app for the voice recognition. (the assistant environment is comprised of two apps running simultaneously, one on the mac and another one on the phone, they can both work in the background. (when phone is sleeping).

You can also select tracks by track name and do other cool stuff.

They run machine learning algorithm to better understand what you say as you go. (machine learning algorithms means the app gets better over time, but it works very well right from the bat and is faster & more accurate than the macOS dictation) since the dictionaries are built from your logic pro project.

You can check the website here:Voice Commander Daw