New Logic update 10.4.5 is here!

DRC Music
Go to solution Solved by gnubee,

i have never had this problem. check your snap settings. try a different template. something's up; i do this sort-of thing all the time, and it always works...

Oh yes, this is most definitely inherent in Logic. It doesn't happen in any tempo though. That may be the reason you haven't noticed that.

For example, in 120bpm all is fine. Try 122bpm, cut a region between bar lines and use the repeat function to create 40-50 repeats.

See if the last region is still ends on a bar line....

i just tried exactly what you suggested (122bpm, cut a region, made 50 repeats, and... ends on a bar line. try playing with snap settings; maybe someone else here has some ideas... are you working from a template??

EDIT: i never work that way, i tend to option-drag regions around, never an issue. perhaps try that instead?

Oh yes, this is most definitely inherent in Logic. It doesn't happen in any tempo though. That may be the reason you haven't noticed that.

For example, in 120bpm all is fine. Try 122bpm, cut a region between bar lines and use the repeat function to create 40-50 repeats.

See if the last region is still ends on a bar line....

i just tried exactly what you suggested (122bpm, cut a region, made 50 repeats, and... ends on a bar line. try playing with snap settings; maybe someone else here has some ideas... are you working from a template??

EDIT: i never work that way, i tend to option-drag regions around, never an issue. perhaps try that instead?

Did you zoom ALL the way in?

since the whole forum is not stressing about this, perhaps look at your setup, template, etc. or, at the very least, try option-dragging regions (ie if you copy 2>4, then you can copy 4>8, etc etc). but if it were me, i'd want to figure out what's happening at my end...

Thanks for you input. This doesn't apply to MIDI. Only audio. So many people on the web, in this and other forums have corroborated it, it's been like that for many versions too.

I'm sure you'll be able to quickly recreate it too. Blank new project, 122bpm (for example) (no template, factory settings). Record audio for 4 bars. Split region on a bar line, create 50 repeats, zoom ALL way in and look at bar line at the end. It looks fine when zooming in just a bit, like in your video.

I've tried this on many different computers, Logic versions etc. Never saw a different (good) result. :-(

Now when I try to install High Sierra, the installer wants to do a firmware update again, but fails every time.

I know there are other workarounds (like this one), but I don't want to mess around too much on my professional Mac as it might decrease stability and I can't have that. If anyone else with the same Mac Pro did get it to work successfully, I'd like to know ofcourse. I'd like to update to this version of Logic, especially because of the optimized Project loading feature.

Mark

Re: the firmware update phase failing every time for you: you may want to try with all peripherals (USB hubs, USB drives, thunderbolt accessories, etc.) disconnected.

since the whole forum is not stressing about this, perhaps look at your setup, template, etc. or, at the very least, try option-dragging regions (ie if you copy 2>4, then you can copy 4>8, etc etc). but if it were me, i'd want to figure out what's happening at my end...

Thanks for you input. This doesn't apply to MIDI. Only audio. So many people on the web, in this and other forums have corroborated it, it's been like that for many versions too.

I'm sure you'll be able to quickly recreate it too. Blank new project, 122bpm (for example) (no template, factory settings). Record audio for 4 bars. Split region on a bar line, create 50 repeats, zoom ALL way in and look at bar line at the end. It looks fine when zooming in just a bit, like in your video.

I've tried this on many different computers, Logic versions etc. Never saw a different (good) result. :-(

is this it? i followed your instructions exactly, and zoomed all the way in...

zoom.png

does it only happen at this tempo, with 40 or 50 copies? and, is there no other way you can work? and.. are all your songs at 122bpm, with 50 copies of an audio measure?at the very least, there are easy workarounds.

fisherking, this was confirmed as a bug 4 years ago by the mods here.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=119464&hilit=Audio+Regions+moving+when+cutting+%5BBUG%5D

Very disheartening that it is still lurking, and makes certain workflows impossible, particularly if you want to cut and paste audio and expect new regions to be cut and pasted accurately.

what i had to do to recreate the issue is very specific. does it happen at all tempos? with less (or more) copies? before my test,i have never experienced it. and there are workarounds. it does seem to be a bug, but it's not insurmountable (and yes, it should be fixed).

fisherking, this was confirmed as a bug 4 years ago by the mods here.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=119464&hilit=Audio+Regions+moving+when+cutting+%5BBUG%5D

Very disheartening that it is still lurking, and makes certain workflows impossible, particularly if you want to cut and paste audio and expect new regions to be cut and pasted accurately.

Thank you maceasy,

This bug and all the problems people seem to be having with controllers since the 10.4.5 update, well, I am staying put in Logic 10.3.2, for my workflow I get no bugs.

I hope you get things sorted anyways.

So I downloaded this update, and suddenly my Korg nanoKontrol 2 stopped working. I tried deleting it from the Control Surface setup and then re-adding it, but it won’t add.

I haven’t been using the Korg driver for a while because the nanoKontrol worked fine without it, and it caused stability problems when it was installed. It hasn’t been updated for a few years.

I’d love to hear from anyone with a similar experience or suggestion.

Did you resolve this? I have a Korg nano but haven't upgraded to 10.4.5 yet

Tested My nanokontrol2 on my MacBook Pro and it don't work with 10.4.5. Still works well in 10.4.4. So 10.4.5 is a bad guy!

Tested My nanokontrol2 on my MacBook Pro and it don't work with 10.4.5. Still works well in 10.4.4. So 10.4.5 is a bad guy!

I have a nonoKontrol 2 and nanoKontrol Studio. Both work fine with 10.4.5. It initially didn't show up but when I un-replugged it while LPX was running, it worked and has since.

Um... worked for a moment in a new project (still don't work with and old project), turned the first channel's pan knob and LPX 10.4.5 crashed. I must point out that the rewind,ffwd and stop buttons were staying lit which is not normal.

Again, works as usual in 10.4.4.

Good news it works for you!

I'm on Mojave and I can't upgrade...I tried in System Prefs and in the App Store - I'm not given the option in either. Ideas?

Same here ... i have a late 2012 imac - i5 2.7 Ghz processor (4 cores) running Mojave 10.14.5 - i'm not getting the option to update in the App store either - why ??? Please do help -

I will say this, please understand that I am not denying anyone's issues, or faulting anybody, staying they are doing anything wrong, etc.

I have used Logic since 1.0. I don't remember even a single update that didn't work OK for most users, not ok for some. Same for my friends with Cubase and DP. Because there are so many Macs with so many OS versions, so many third party plug-ins, etc. this will probably always be the case.

I will say this, please understand that I am not denying anyone's issues, or faulting anybody, staying they are doing anything wrong, etc.

I have used Logic since 1.0. I don't remember even a single update that didn't work OK for most users, not ok for some. Same for my friends with Cubase and DP. Because there are so many Macs with so many OS versions, so many third party plug-ins, etc. this will probably always be the case.

That is all fine and dandy but still absolutely no excuse for Apple not fixing some longstanding, partially essential and nasty bugs. And no, I'm not talking about my pet peeve, namely the messed up zoom functions (which they should've fixed anyway, but at least I can work around it), but about something such as beatmapping which is just horrendously broken and seems to never have worked properly in LPX at all while it was one of Logics strengths in previous versions. They could as well release a version entirely without beatmapping, saying "sorry, you gotta live without this from now on, we simply don't manage to fix it" - because that is exactly what it looks like, unless they don't care about it. And no matter what it is (ignoring or not being able), it's not how I expect such an issue to be dealt with.

I rather have them return to the drawing board instead of adding "impressive" stuff such as content or whatever. And even being able to run a gazillion tracks and what not won't help you when certain features that simply just *have to* work in any of nowadays sequencers are broken.

For obvious reasons, I can't tell exactly why things are what they are, but to me it absolutely smells as if QA has been getting worse during the last years. Not sure whether this has anything to do with Logic being done by Apple (maybe not too likely as LP9 IMO is friggin' great in it's last incarnation), but all I know is that in the old Emagic days certain releases would've simply been withhold. They need some expert commitee of people being allowed to say "Stop - no release!"

Same here ... i have a late 2012 imac - i5 2.7 Ghz processor (4 cores) running Mojave 10.14.5 - i'm not getting the option to update in the App store either - why ??? Please do help -

I spoke with a very helpful Apple Support guy and we found a dumb solution: drag Logic from the applications folder into the trash and then download Logic from the App Store. Worked for me!

Or maybe just rename the app something like LogicProx10.4.4 or anything else and open the App store. That way you keep a backup of the previous version that you wont delete by accident.

Which is pretty important - really, there seem to be several folks going back to 10.4.4 (myself included), inspite of some new and great features. Seems to break more than it fixes/adds for some people.

I know there are other workarounds (like this one), but I don't want to mess around too much on my professional Mac as it might decrease stability and I can't have that. If anyone else with the same Mac Pro did get it to work successfully, I'd like to know of course. I'd like to update to this version of Logic, especially because of the optimized Project loading feature.

Mark

I just did this the other day. I had previously installed Sierra on my 2008 MacPro using this same method, and it has been running great, so I thought I'd take the plunge and upgrade to High Sierra. I was reluctant to do it as I'd read reports that the Apogee Duet firewire would no longer work with High Sierra, but then I saw several people had managed to make the upgrade and retain Duet functionality so I decided to risk it. So far, so good. Everything seems to be working fine, though there was an issue with an Apple security update installation hanging and preventing startup which meant I had to reinstall High Sierra again.

Since then it has been pretty good as far as I can tell. I've been opening Logic projects and recording with no major issues. Logic feels a little snappier overall. Templates definitely load a lot faster :) I also use my Mac for fairly heavy Photoshop use and it all seems fine. I definitely made sure I had a complete backup ready just in case it broke something seriously though and I'd always recommend doing the same.

That is all fine and dandy but still absolutely no excuse for Apple not fixing some longstanding, partially essential and nasty bugs.

That is a different issue, how they prioritize fixing long terms bugs. My guess is that it is like the news, "if it bleeds, it leads." If there are a lot of users complaining and it is relatively easy to fix, it gets fixed, If it is only a handful or it is hard to fix, it doesn't get priority for getting fixed.

What I am talking about are new reported bugs.There are what I call "system specific issues" and what I call "bugs" and I know not everybody agrees with me about how I define them. For me, a bug happens on on many users rigs, or all users. If it is only e. g. 5% I call it system specific, not a bug.

A perfect example: My friend says that when he has some software instrument tracks and some audio tracks and he chooses Export All Tracks as Audio Files it only exports the audio tracks. I just tried it here and it di all of them fine. So is that bug or a system specific issue? If a bunch of people can reproduce it, a bug,. If not system specific, in my view.