Solo Mid or Side

mkruse

Fantastic to see you here again Eric and thank you for your most excellent demo project!

For anyone who wondered (like I did for a moment) "why doesn't my Multipressor look like that?" Remember, many of Logic's FX plugins can be instantiated in a 'Dual Mono' mode that allows this output viewing option. My second thought was "Isn't there a simpler Logic plugin that can do this?"

David figured out a nearly perfect solution using Logic's 'Gain' plugin. But in the back of nearly everyones mind is the question. "Will it pass a null test? I don't think I can live with -96 dB of bleed."

Fortunately, for people like me who can't be bothered to download any of the excellent, free and simple to use 3rd party alternatives, Logic's 'Echo' plugin (setup as below) allows for 100% muting of the Mid or Side. (Just like Eric's solution above but without resorting to silliness like soloing a bypassed and NOT EVEN ENABLED 4th band of the Multipressor.) Is this genius or madness...? Loved trying to reverse engineer your patch, thanks again for the great post Eric! ...and to all who contribute here.

1510024021_EchoPluginMSMute.png.aa498467d7b568d7f8b51b9d07e87020.png

Edited by Mark R

I have a similar question. does anyone know if any of the built in LPX plugins have separate L/R level controls? Not a pan, but actual Left and Right level controls?

Never mind I think I figured out my own solution, just use Gain plugin in dual mono mode.

Yes, if you set the output to 'Stereo mode' instead of Mid/Side you get a one control at a time. Stack 2 gain plugins if you need to see both at the same time.

In case you change your mind, the bx_solo plugin is very easy to use and totally transparent.

bx_solo2.jpg

I was just kidding about not willing to be "bothering" with downloading the free plugins. I have them and they are preferable. I just enjoy the challenge of finding ways to do things with Logic's stock plugins. It increases my understanding of what is going on under the hood with many 3rd party plugins.

I think that is what David was suggesting in the 4th post above. He was building on what Eric showed. By the way, I think I'm the only one who has downloaded Eric's demo project. It is brilliant and humorous to look at his use of the Multipressor.

put gain plugin in dual mono mode. Then instead of choosing L or R, choose the tab with the gear icon. You will see the picture I posted above. At the bottom is a popup menu that says stereo. Change it to mid/side. Then you can mute either M or S.

Eric did essentially the same thing but using the Multipressor. You can do it with the gain plugin too for perhaps more transparency.

put gain plugin in dual mono mode. Then instead of choosing L or R, choose the tab with the gear icon. You will see the picture I posted above. At the bottom is a popup menu that says stereo. Change it to mid/side. Then you can mute either M or S.

Eric did essentially the same thing but using the Multipressor. You can do it with the gain plugin too for perhaps more transparency.

You're misunderstanding Eric's solution, and therefore my adaptation of his solution. There is no way to mute M or S in the plug-ins, you're just bypassing the plug-in for M or S.

hmm, ok. Seems like it works to me.

I'm not sure what that means. Bypassing a Gain plug-in will not mute the signal (try it, you'll see for yourself). That's why I suggested turning the signal down to -96 dB then bypassing the Gain plug-in.

But the best solution so far has to be Mark R with the Echo plug-in, that actually offers an easy way to mute the signal.