Imported MIDI not playing

airproofing
Go to solution Solved by Fred B,

I had an interesting thing happen using MIDI that puzzled me. I exported a file of a trumpet part as a MIDI file from Finale. Then I created a MIDI track in Logic, imported it, and inserted a trumpet sample using SampleTank. No sound. I created a new MIDI track with the trumpet sample inserted and copied the MIDI track to it. No sound. I can create a note in either one of the track and that note plays, but none of the imported notes play.

What could it be?

Replace the instrument with a Logic synth, do you hear sound?

Yes, it does.

I did an export from Finale of a single trumpet part using a piano as the instrument and I can hear it. If I export that as a trumpet using the Garritan samples of a trumpet, THEN I cannot hear it. It appears to be the Garritan samples. I did the same with a sax and trombone part - can't hear them. Switch to piano and export from Finale as MIDI, then I can hear them.

Ages ago I had a similar issue. The imported would not play on the created track. I solved it by making a duplicate track in the arrangement and then copying the region to the duplicate. (Just ‘option-dragged’ it to the dupe). It worked, I didn’t feel the need to figure out why the import didn’t work.

• Solution
Replace the instrument with a Logic synth, do you hear sound?

Yes, it does.

I did an export from Finale of a single trumpet part using a piano as the instrument and I can hear it. If I export that as a trumpet using the Garritan samples of a trumpet, THEN I cannot hear it. It appears to be the Garritan samples. I did the same with a sax and trombone part - can't hear them. Switch to piano and export from Finale as MIDI, then I can hear them.

All wind instruments from Garritan have volume controlled by the Mod Wheel.

Probably the MIDI file contains a reset to 0 and thus you get no sound.

• 3 weeks later...