Load Only Plugins Needed...FYI

Eric Wikman

"Load Only Plugins Needed"...FYI if you have any programming still inside something like Maschine... LPX 10.4.5 won't know it's there (since there's no regions on timeline) and it won't playback until you select & wakeup the track. Not that big a deal but I noticed something wasn't playing that I hadn't bounced as audio yet.

I was wondering about that, i have some older projects that use Spark (Arturia drum machine) and i'm thinking that may be the case too. I wonder how it is with Superior Drummer if people use that for sequencing within the plugin only using the Toontrack grooves?

Could be a cause of confusion for some people.

A workaround would be to open old project and deselect the option in project settings, then save and close. When you reopen it won’t bypass any plugins. Since it’s a project setting, you’ll only have to do it once for each project. Would have been better implementation of it were off on old projects by default unless you enable it.

Would have been better implementation of it were off on old projects by default unless you enable it.

Right.

Fwiw, not entirely sure yet (especially as I don't feel like jumping completely onto 4.5 - there's just too many "vague" and buggy things), but I think I'll end up not using this feature but go for manually unloading channels by option-clicking their on/off buttons. That way I avoid to accidentally select a channel (and hence load everything on there) and will also be able to keep certain things always active (yeah, I could as well get that by placing fake regions onto the appropriate tracks).

I have simple uses but I love it, despite a few minor issues it seems less buggy than it has for a while. Feels much snappier and graphics don’t bother my eyes as much. They seem smoother, especially the metering (but I did update to Mojave’s around the same time so that could be Mojave related)

Biggest thing for me is performance boost. My projects that had completely stopped working now run no problem without even closing everything else (google chrome even). So buggy or not, it’s at least working for me again.

I’d say if you have a stable system right now and don’t need any of the new features, there’s no compelling reason to update until they come out with a bug fix minor update.

... i may disable the load plugin as needed thing, but... not sure yet...

You can do that on a per project basis depending of the needs of the situation.

i hated having my workflow disrupted, so a plugin could load, but... i see the benefit of this, and am going to live with it (for now). the idea is a good one...

• 4 weeks later...
A workaround would be to open old project and deselect the option in project settings, then save and close. When you reopen it won’t bypass any plugins. Since it’s a project setting, you’ll only have to do it once for each project. Would have been better implementation of it were off on old projects by default unless you enable it.

Well, this doesn't work on my mac. A project with several instances of the Aria player (Garritan) is half and half activated and loaded. In a few channels, no matter what I do, the plugin + the native channel EQ won't activate. I have turned off the setting for loading only as needed, reopened the project, tried to activate the channel with the right click command at least 20 times, clicked the plugins incessantly. Nothing wakes up the plugins, not even loading them in mono or inserting them anew. Now I want to edit the effects in that very plugin, and can't access it. Pretty sure it is a bug, but if not, head scratcher is a very mild term for what I'm feeling.