Logic Pro X (NEW EQ)

jimdilian

I find the channel eq is fine for standard eq needs. But when I want something with a little more flavor I use one of the vintage models.

They recently added several eq’s. The vintage parametric eq’s are good. There’s also a graphic eq.

Other than eq’s that emulate particular hardware, an eq is an eq. If it can adjust q values, gain and frequency, and doesn’t color the sound, transparent eq’s pretty much all do the same thing as far as I’m concerned.

I don't feel the need for another EQ in Logic, no. I believe where the EQs you mention shine is in the beauty and design of their interface, which make them a breathe to use visually... but IMO you should steer away from that and go back to the old days of EQing blindly without any display or analyzer or anything. That's truly the only way you'll learn to use your ears, which is where it's at, in my humble opinion.

Ideally one should get a controller for applications such as EQing and compression so that you can close your eyes while you adjust it using only your ears. Wasn't there a one-channel-strip MIDI Controller that offers all sorts of channel strips controls such as EQ and Compression for the selected channel?

I use Pro-Q3 instead of Channel EQ for couple of reasons:

- I prefer the display

- i like "natural phase" mode

- I often pull up the dynamic section of it

- i like "undefined number" of bands better than the 8 "semi" fixed bands. Nothing in particular but sometimes i grab a frequency so the 1st band ends up being 5k, and next band is 2k and I hate how that looks because of my OCD. :D

My other go-to is Gullfoss which is pretty unique and different.

EQuick would bring absolutely nothing in this regard so... meh.

I have recently relearned and grown to love a few stock plugins, such as: Compressor, Vintage EQs, ChromaVerb, Phat FX.

I personally think the stock selection is pretty good as it is.

What I would absolutely LOVE to see is different:

- the ability to load any plugin as a multiband instance, kinda like you can load them "dual mono", but you could load them "3-band" and set up crossover at the top.

Right now, if you don't use multi-band plugins, you need to create three busses and screw up your routing.

- more routing capabilities, sort of a "routing matrix". But i'm spoiled because RME.

Ideally one should get a controller for applications such as EQing and compression so that you can close your eyes while you adjust it using only your ears. Wasn't there a one-channel-strip MIDI Controller that offers all sorts of channel strips controls such as EQ and Compression for the selected channel?

Yes. But it really works well mostly with Softube plugins

https://www.softube.com/console1

I use Pro-Q3 instead of Channel EQ for couple of reasons:

- I prefer the display

- i like "natural phase" mode

- I often pull up the dynamic section of it

- i like "undefined number" of bands better than the 8 "semi" fixed bands. Nothing in particular but sometimes i grab a frequency so the 1st band ends up being 5k, and next band is 2k and I hate how that looks because of my OCD. :D

My other go-to is Gullfoss which is pretty unique and different.

EQuick would bring absolutely nothing in this regard so... meh.

I have recently relearned and grown to love a few stock plugins, such as: Compressor, Vintage EQs, ChromaVerb, Phat FX.

I personally think the stock selection is pretty good as it is.

What I would absolutely LOVE to see is different:

- the ability to load any plugin as a multiband instance, kinda like you can load them "dual mono", but you could load them "3-band" and set up crossover at the top.

Right now, if you don't use multi-band plugins, you need to create three busses and screw up your routing.

- more routing capabilities, sort of a "routing matrix". But i'm spoiled because RME.

another vote for pro-q3. i love my fabfilter plugins (comp, limit, gate... even the reverb is useful); they're my go-to (along with some other 3rd party stuff).

I think the "look" of logic's EQ's is just fine. I also prefer to use FabFilter though...not just because of the "look" of it, but a lot of little workflow details...and...the dynamic EQ feature is the fundamental thing missing from Logic's EQ's at the moment, which is kind of a new thing....lots of EQ's don't have that..its a new trend. But a useful one that I think would be a welcome addition to Logic's built in EQ.

I'm very much a fan of the Logic selection of EQs. If I had the opportunity to request changes/additions, I have 3:

1) The ability to solo a band in the Channel EQ

It's nice to have the ability to solo a parametric band when I'm chasing my tail. A great feature of the Fabfilter Pro-Q 3.

2) Eliminate the latency of the Vintage EQ Collection

I love the Vintage EQ collection! However, I always notice latency when I adjust the controls of any of the Vintage EQs. Twist knob, wait a split second, then the adjustment is made audible. It's kinda like singing with latency. It's just odd and disrupts my mix flow.

3) Dynamic EQ

I use the dynamic EQ all the time with the Fabfilter Pro-Q 3. It's such a great way to tuck nasty resonances that aren't present throughout a performance.