Audio Interface Cutting Out At Random!

Gareth Williams79
Go to solution Solved by Gareth Williams79,

This is the first problem I’ve had with my set up since I set it up in 2014. I am using Logic Pro X on a Mac with an Apogee Duet sound card (attached via USB) with a vocal mic and a guitar into the Apogee and sending the output into a cassette four track (Tascam Porta 2). This has been working perfectly well for years. You get the decent mic levels you get through the Apogee as well as the effects from Logic on the guitar and vocals and get it on a tape so you can listen to it later when your computer is not on.

However, on Monday for reasons I have not yet worked out, the output in Logic suddenly started cutting out at random and I get this error message …

The previously selected audio interface is not available. The built-in inputs and outputs of the computer will be used instead for this session . OK”

I can’t work out what could be wrong or what to check. I thought maybe it was because on that day I had my 4 track on already when I turned the computer on and opened the Logic file. I usually don’t turn the 4 track on until the computer is on and the Logic file is open. Anyway, when I tried it again today turning things on in the usual order it happen again.

To be fair, today it didn’t happen again at all until I tuned the 4 track on. I played a few songs before turning it on, so I suspect that that is the culprit in the set up but I don’t really know. I’m pretty sure this only happens when I have had my four track on though it still happens afterwards when you turn it off.

Also, I don’t know if it is relevant but I thought I’d better mention it in case. When I tried using the 4 track without the computer later today it appeared to be knackered. The microphone would not come in through either input but the guitar seemed to be coming in both inputs even though it was only in one of them! The microphone input was registering some sound (on maximum gain) but hardly any, yet loads of guitar was coming in through that channel somehow. It’s really hard to explain but basically it seems to me like the 4 track is now knackered but as I haven’t got another one to compare it with I can’t really be sure about that.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

Gareth

That's worrying! I just bought another one. Well, I can conform that the issue did not happen when the Tascam was not attached but that doesn't prove much. I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. I won't be using it again until Monday now. This will be without the 4track again as the new one won't have arrived yet! Thanks again for your help.

The USB lead looks Ok. I seem to remember in the instructions of some of my gear (I can't remember what now) it told you not to have things on already that are attached to the Apogee when you turn the computer on. Such as the guitar amp that goes to the Apogee input. Also, Logic has crashed when I turn the amp off when Logic is still running so I always quit Logic before turning the amp off. The reason I wouldn't like to risk trying the Tascam again is because it now seems to not even work properly as described above. I will however test it with my new one when it arrives. If I get the same problem with the new Tascam attached I'll have to start again with working out what's going on! Thanks again.

Um, it doesn't make sense because it is NOT fixed! Unfortunately it happened again today with the new 4 track attached. I was able to just restart Logic and finish what I was doing because I only had one song to play and luckily it didn't happen again during that one song but, yeah the issue is not resolved I'm afraid. I won't be using it again until Tuesday of next week at the earliest. I will have to wait and see if it happens again! Nightmare!

Um, it doesn't make sense because it is NOT fixed! Unfortunately it happened again today with the new 4 track attached. I was able to just restart Logic and finish what I was doing because I only had one song to play and luckily it didn't happen again during that one song but, yeah the issue is not resolved I'm afraid. I won't be using it again until Tuesday of next week at the earliest. I will have to wait and see if it happens again! Nightmare!

It makes more sense now. Analogue inputs from a faulty device shouldn’t cause that problem. It would be possible that if there was a closed circuit on the output of the analogue device and the audio interface has a protection circuit, it triggers that (protection circuit). But even then it doesn’t seem normal that it would cause the entire interface to quit working (cause computer to no longer see interface). Perhaps a few other possible scenarios could cause it but would also be odd.

Since you now know it isn’t the four track I would try two tests. First, run the audio interface without the 4 track connected long enough to determine that the interface does indeed consistently work without it plugged in. If it passes that test, try plugging an MP3 player (or any other analogue audio source) into the same inputs on the interface. Does it start to happen again? If so, I would suspect the apogee has an issue with the inputs. Maybe a feedback loop. Maybe it has an issue that results in processing the extra audio (analogue to digital conversion) crashing the unit.

The 4 track is attached to the Apogee OUTPUTS. Jack instrument cables go from the Apogee output sockets to the Tascam input sockets. One into each of the two inputs. I have tested it without the 4 track attached and it didn't happen (worked fine). One thing I did do today, which it hasn't happened again since, even with the 4 track attached, is plug the Apogee USB lead into a different USB input on the Mac. I thought maybe it wasn't in quite properly or something. Anyway, I only played one song after that so that doesn't prove much! I'll just have to see how it goes next time I use it now which won't be until next week. Thanks again for your help.

One more thing... do you have a power conditioner of some sort? Maybe some type of surge gets through the 4 track and causes the issue. If you don’t have any conditioning, try pulling the surge protector conditioner from your television and entertainment system to try it out. Maybe run an extension cord from another outlet...

Thanks. Interesting I don't have any power conditioners on any of my appliances but I don't see what could be different now to the previous 3 years. I have been running a signal from the Apogee outs into the Tascam for years now without issue in Logic. I know I might have an obsession with this idea but it's a big coincidence that the only time I ever fired up with the Tascam already on was the first time I got any of these problems. Unfortunately, it will be some time before I need to use this set up again but when I do I'll post on how it goes. Thanks again.

I've had some more strange issues! When using Logic now I get an error message saying “Number of Midi inputs and outputs is 0”, flashing up on screen and some of the tracks disappear. It doesn't let you do anything while this is going on. The color wheel just spins round and nothing works. Basically it's gone berzerk! Also, the Apogee has the logo constantly flashing. I have restarted the machine but it has not solved the problem. Does anybody know what is going on. Thanks.