Logic refreezes tracks on each playback

tinelinen

I have a project where something abnormal seems to be happening and I can't figure out why:

I have a project with multiple instances of Izotope Breaktweaker and Vocalsynth, with 10 audio tracks, ca 25 midi tracks, and plenty of sends. It is weighing on my cpu, so I often use freeze. However, this one project (and its duplicate) refreezes tracks on EACH playback, even if I didn't touch the frozen tracks. I have tried freezing both at Source only and Pre Fader, and it makes no difference.

This project just won't do it in the normal way, and it hasn't been the case before - I often use Freeze, also in the current version. I'm therefore guessing there is something in my project, but I'm not able to find out. Is there anyone that can help? I am hesitant to move it all to a new project, as I have a large amount of automation set up. But this drives me crazy, especially when I have multiple tracks frozen (but didn't touch neither of them), and it refreezes for 2 minutes or so.

Edited by tinelinen

Yes. but this happens when I edit other tracks - unfrozen ones. So the frozen tracks have not been touched at all, and still it refreezes each time. Also, I thought that I had to manually refreeze a track after unfreezing it?

Here is what I do:

1) Click snowflake to freeze

2) Wait for freeze

3) Edit other tracks that aren't frozen

4) Playback - and Logic freezes...something... without me choosing to do so. The original frozen tracks were not unfrozen, and still it does this.

Or:

1) Click snowflake to freeze

2) Wait for freeze

3) Unfreeze track to edit it (but not freezing it again, because I'm still editing it)

4) Playback - and Logic freezes ...something... again.

So - I cannot hear any of my edits without Logic freezing something that I didn't ask it to do, because the second I hit play, it is doing the freeze cycle again.

I can confirm this behavior, but not reproduce it. I have never really tried to isolate the issue in that it is "random" enough in my circumstances to not pursue a "solution." In the past I've sent detailed "proofs" along to apple with nary an acknowledgement or any sort, and in the end, no apparent "fix." So here's hoping.../s~

ps. I spent thirty five plus years as "project manager/lead architect" in software development. fwiw in this context.

• 3 years later...

I am having this issue too. It refreezes tracks I haven't touched ( though can't be sure what exactly it freezes, but I assume everything selected with freeze knob). It even freezes if I just change the audio output  - say switching from computer speakers to external headphones.

Then tried another project where it doesn't refreeze.

Running logic 10.7.2