Is it safe to update to Logic 10.4.7 on OS High Sierra?

Blue Monkey

I'm soon to make the commitment to update my Mac Pro to High Sierra, which is as highest OS my Mac supports. This will demand a firmware update which is irreversible. I was planning on upgrading to Logic 10.4.6 but I missed that boat. Is Logic 10.4.7 working well with High Sierra? If not, is Logic 10.4.6 still available anywhere?

It is crucial that the High Sierra/Logic 10.4.7 combination works for me as I would not be able to go back to my current OS (Sierra 10.12.6) and Logic 10.4.4 due to the firmware update. It would essentially render my Mac Pro useless in my case if this combination does not work.

Thanks!

10.4.7 seems to have a graphic problem with the smart controls area, which doesn't get redrawn in some circumstances. 10.4.6 is ok though.

How big a deal that bug is depends on how you work really - it doesn't really affect me, but then I can always go back to 10.4.6 as I download and keep all the updates for just these reasons.

It's possible the bug won't affect you, but so far, HS users are seeing it, and Mojave users are not, from the few reports in another thread.

I'd suggest you keep using your 10.4.4 version on HS, maybe?

Thanks for the reply des99!

I haven't updated my machine to High Sierra yet since I needed to deal with some things on Logic Pro 9 and an older system due to some sounds not playing correctly in Logic X. I meant to update to HS and Logic 10.4.6 but life got in the way.

It sounds to me like I'm probably not missing out on too much by staying on Logic 10.4.4 and Sierra. I was hoping an update would clear up an issue I've been having with creating Alias regions and I didn't want to be left too far behind but it is inevitable that I'll fall behind since my Mac Pro can't run later versions of the OS than HS and I'm not in a position to purchase a new machine anytime soon at their current prices.

Thanks again for the reply!

Just a note... I have a mid 2011 mac mini running High Sierra and Logic 10.4.6. High Sierra is the highest my Mini supports as well.

BUT...I also have a partition with Sierra and Logic 10.4.4 and another partition with Mavericks and Logic 10.2.2. If I hold OPTION at start up, I can choose which drive to boot from and they all work. Im not sure your firmware information is correct. I have not upgraded my Logic to 10.4.7

I always keep older versions of working systems intact as a clone... just in case.

I'm soon to make the commitment to update my Mac Pro to High Sierra, which is as highest OS my Mac supports. This will demand a firmware update which is irreversible. I was planning on upgrading to Logic 10.4.6 but I missed that boat. Is Logic 10.4.7 working well with High Sierra? If not, is Logic 10.4.6 still available anywhere?

It is crucial that the High Sierra/Logic 10.4.7 combination works for me as I would not be able to go back to my current OS (Sierra 10.12.6) and Logic 10.4.4 due to the firmware update. It would essentially render my Mac Pro useless in my case if this combination does not work.

Thanks!

Im not sure your firmware information is correct.

Thanks for the reply Joe!

When you downloaded High Sierra did it force you to update your Mini's firmware?

I've been told that once the firmware is updated for HS that you can no longer run any "legacy" programs/OS versions on the updated machine.

I also have clone drives for various Logic versions and OS of the past but was concerned about updating the FW because of the above info.

I don’t recall a firmware update but there is something different about drive format. When booted in Sierra the system can’t see my high Sierra drive,so it can’t be chosen as a start up disc from sys prefs. I have to shut the machine down and hold option while restarting to choose the high Sierra drive. High Sierra and Logic 10.4.6 are performing well. I’ll hold here for a while.

I'm already on 10.4.7 with High Sierra (mid-2011 iMac), is there any way to revert back to 10.4.6 if I didn't save a copy of it before upgrading?

I'm also new to Logic, is there a way to reach out to Apple for help, or do we just need to wait for the next update? I just saw communities and FAQs on their site.

I'm having the same Smart Control issue mentioned earlier--they show up at first, but if I change the skin or go to EQ then back to Control, or in the case of the drum machine try to edit a single drum, the image disappears. Oddly I can click around in the area, and if I move my mouse, it still makes changes to the sound...I just can't see what I'm doing, so it's a bit pointless.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Mojave is fully supported on your Mac Pro 5.1, you just need to have a metal-capable GPU and you're good to go. The reason I bring this up is Mojave might be a bit more stable than HS, plus you should be able to squeeze a couple more years out of your Mac. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave-bootrom-upgrade-instructions-thread.2142418/

I've been told that once the firmware is updated for HS that you can no longer run any "legacy" programs/OS versions on the updated machine.

I have a 5,1 and I can run Snow Leopard or Mavericks or Mountain Lion from another boot disk.

There are certain older apps that don't work on HS anymore. You'll see the app's icon crossed out, like Logic 9.

So if you want to keep certain older apps you have to create another boot disk.

I have a 5,1 and I can run Snow Leopard or Mavericks or Mountain Lion from another boot disk.

There are certain older apps that don't work on HS anymore. You'll see the app's icon crossed out, like Logic 9.

So if you want to keep certain older apps you have to create another boot disk.

Thanks for the reply Triplets!

I guess I misunderstood you in another thread I started about upgrading to HS. I thought the firmware update would render my past OS versions and Logic versions unusable on the updated machine. So are you saying that as long as I have those older OS and Logic versions on separate bootable HD's (and I do) I can still run those versions after the firmware update?

Also, if I contacted Apple is it possible to get a link to download Logic 10.4.6?

Thanks!

So are you saying that as long as I have those older OS and Logic versions on separate bootable HD's (and I do) I can still run those versions after the firmware update?

Correct.

Also, if I contacted Apple is it possible to get a link to download Logic 10.4.6?

No, you should always make a copy of the Logic app before you update. That way you can always revert.

So are you saying that as long as I have those older OS and Logic versions on separate bootable HD's (and I do) I can still run those versions after the firmware update?

Correct.

Great, thanks!

you should always make a copy of the Logic app before you update. That way you can always revert.

Problem is that I never downloaded 10.4.6 or I would have a copy (as I have a habit of making clones for the purpose of reverting as needed) and since people are having some issues with 10.4.7 I'm reluctant to update to that version which is why I was hoping to be able to get a copy of 10.4.6.

Oh well, guess I missed the boat on that one.

Thanks Triplets!

okay lets try this - if you send me a proof of purchase (app store) I can try sending you my 10.4.6 app.

If it doesn't work i think you can overwrite my App Store signature with yours via terminal

Thank you very much for the offer Ploki!

1. When I sign-in to my Apple account I only see my devices. I can't find anything that proves my purchase of Logic. I purchased Logic 8 when I started on Logic. Then Logic 9 and again paid for Logic X when it was first released. I may have a physical receipt for Logic X, I would have to check my files.

2. I'm concerned that by accepting your offer I may somehow invalidate my legit copy of Logic X.

3. Playing around in Terminal makes me nervous since I am unfamiliar with the language and would have to just trust info that I would find online to make any changes.

I find it frustrating that Apple makes these kind of situations so difficult. It seems to me that they should keep all updates available for these types of situations and they do with certain updates: https://support.apple.com/downloads/logic-pro

Thanks again for your input and your offer Ploki!

I don’t recall a firmware update but there is something different about drive format. When booted in Sierra the system can’t see my high Sierra drive,so it can’t be chosen as a start up disc from sys prefs. I have to shut the machine down and hold option while restarting to choose the high Sierra drive. High Sierra and Logic 10.4.6 are performing well. I’ll hold here for a while.

Maybe the Mac Mini didn't need a firmware update but when attempting to update my Mac Pro to High Sierra I get a message stating that a firmware update will be necessary to update the OS.

Also, I recently booted up on an old Snow Leopard drive to Bounce some tracks in Logic 9 (some instruments weren't playing right in Logic X on an old song) and when I tried to reset the Start Up drive to Sierra I too was unable to chose the drive in System Prefs so I had to restart holding the Option key and then was able to select my Sierra drive for start-up.

Thanks for the input Joe!

Have you tried contacting Apple support by phone to explain your issue. I'd be surprised they would not accommodate you...

I haven't had a chance to contact Apple yet since I've been sidetracked with several non-music related projects but will hopefully have time this week to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion Atlas!

• 3 weeks later...
Have you tried contacting Apple support by phone to explain your issue. I'd be surprised they would not accommodate you...

Spent at least 1 1/2 hours (mostly on hold) with several different Apple support people today with no luck. They will not accommodate you. If the version is not available on their website they say it's simply not available at all.

Apple continues to frustrate me with their bullshit!

I guess I'm going to stick with Sierra and Logic 10.4.4 even though I have a problem with Alias regions which is the main reason I wanted to try Logic 10.4.6.