Electronic Drum Hi Hat Issue

makeyourself236
Go to solution Solved by makeyourself236,

Hello all!

So I just purchased a new electronic drum set (ATV adrums artist) and module (ad5). The module is triggering everything accurately when using the module, however, when I'm trying to trigger logic drum kit designer, the hi hat is triggering in reverse (open = closed and vice versa). I've tried the different settings in the drop down tab and they don't solve the issue. I've also tried to adjust the parameters the drum kit designer is received from the ad5 by adjusting the output note in the midi environment using different mappings. This also doesn't solve the issue as I can't seem to find a way to invert how the hi hat is being perceived. There are obviously sounds from 100% open - 100% closed because I can hear them when using the hi hat, just in reverse! There is no way to change the midi signal on the way out from the module so I'm going to need an option on the software side.

Then I would suggest checking if the pedal is having a switch to invert its action polarity. Many sustain pedal are equipped with such a switch.

If yours doesn't, check which events (notes on/off, or else) does that pedal is actually sending when depressed and then released. Then, using a Mapper object using a Transformer object in the environment could convert one to another and vice-versa. There could be other methods.

There is no inversion switch on the pedal or hardware side of the drum module. I have been using a mapping object in the midi environment to change some of the setting being sent. However, I’m unfamiliar with the variables (or where to find them) to change values sent by a hi hat pedal/mod wheel/ etc. If I could find where those values were being sent in logic I think iight have a shot at getting them inverted. But, Im unfamiliar with where to find that kind of information that’s being received from the hardware to logic.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I can find the Midi CC information that is being sent by the foot switch in the automation section, but if I could get that inverted on the way in I would be in business!! Is there anyway to do instrument mapping on that sort of thing like there is for just the normal midi messages being sent in?

• 1 year later...
modifier midi plugin should do it

Could you explain this in a little more detail?

I have the same problem using a roland td25. I opened midi modifier and made it as your screen shot showed with input event at 4 foot and re-assign to at 4 foot. Scale at -100% and add at 0 but my hi hat is still inverted. Stepping on it gives a proper closed hi hat sound but when hitting it like that it sounds open and foot off sounds like a closed hi hat.

modifier midi plugin should do it

Could you explain this in a little more detail?

I have the same problem using a roland td25. I opened midi modifier and made it as your screen shot showed with input event at 4 foot and re-assign to at 4 foot. Scale at -100% and add at 0 but my hi hat is still inverted. Stepping on it gives a proper closed hi hat sound but when hitting it like that it sounds open and foot off sounds like a closed hi hat.

which pedal do you use?

Well I really don’t know what to say. I put my Mac to sleep, open it back up and now I get no response from the Roland. It shows positional response correctly on the module and it works great using Logic Studio kits. I just deleted that project, opened a new and loaded kontakt and a kit but no signal. I can open a logic kit and the drums work fine.

Kontakt instruments open with midi CH1 as default, maybe your module is transmitting on CH10 or something (MIDI standard for drums).

There's a channel switch in the scripter, or change incoming channel on kontakt, or change incoming channel on the channel strip (i think that works)

I switched logic midi channel to 1 and did the same on the td25. I dont see the option on kontakt just yet that shows what channel its working on but I'll keep searching

I'm wondering why its intermittent. The setup I follow is new track, external midi, use external instrument plug-in, load kontakt, select kit. Track options have midi channel set to one and I restarted the midi after setting its midi channel to 1. Am I missing any steps here?

Do you shut down at the end of every session?

No, I leave my Mac turned on nearly all the time.

I installed some updates during a reboot and the drums were immediately recognized, but my hi hat controls panning again. Even on Logic drums that are usually just fine. Once it goes above halfway up the plugin mix pans completely to the right. If the pedal is depressed more than 50% it pans all of the drums to the left. Any ideas? I've tried GM, V drum and V drum mod wheel but they all have poor hi hat control