Piano Roll Standalone Window: Can I set the default viewing value to be the selected region rather than playhead?

the sinner

Basically I want to select a region in Logic and go to a separate window - piano roll stand alone window - and begin editing it.

Yet by default logic displays wherever I left my playhead marker at - in this case 50 bars prior - aka off the screen.

So I have to scroll horizontally to find this selected region.

Is there any way to set that so it mimics the behavior of the arrange window's mini piano roll?

In your screenshot, the catch playhead button is lit, try disable that. Also, in the 'view' menu in piano roll, make sure 'selected regions' is checked.

Piano Roll.png

Hi Jacob.

I have "One Track" selected and also blue playhead selector button doesn't influence the result one way or the other.

So I've uploaded the file below in the attachment:

I have to regions in this file - left and right. I invite you to select the left region and hit 5 (to open my piano roll window) and then hit 1 (go back to arrange).

Now Select the right region in hit 5 and you will see it has not been queued on the piano roll window.

Now in older versions of logic - going back to 7 - this behavior would queue the second region. But even with correct (or incorrect) settings this never happens now.

Is this a bug now?

At this point I am thinking this is a bug

LPH - Example.zip

File In Question

...I have "One Track" selected and also blue playhead selector button doesn't influence the result one way or the other....

I tried your file; In screenset 5 I changed the view from 'one track' to 'selected regions', and disabled the blue catch button. Now the piano roll displays the selected region as it should. Since I am on an older LPX version, things might be different on your system. I Don't get what you mean by 'queueing regions'.

Hi, Thanks for your assistance.

I've now tried every combination of one track/selected regions and playhead catch button and none of them moves the default screen zoom to the area of the selected region.

Now interestingly enough the behavior of the piano roll works expectedly if I open a piano roll window on screenset one ("Main Window" previously known as the arrange window). Here it follows appropriately.

But it doesn't work in this manner when opening a new screenset.

I think this may be a bug as I am certain this worked correctly going back to logic 7.

BREAKING EDIT: I just tried your uploaded project and also in another project of my own - what I wrote below DOES NOT WORK :(

The Piano Roll Window does not behave like a Score Editor window ... whenever you shift the playhead the Piano Roll region changes and updates/disappears no matter how one has the Link or Screenset settings.

Back to the drawing board

Basically I want to select a region in Logic and go to a separate window - piano roll stand alone window - and begin editing it.

Yet by default logic displays wherever I left my playhead marker at - in this case 50 bars prior - aka off the screen.

So I have to scroll horizontally to find this selected region.

Is there any way to set that so it mimics the behavior of the arrange window's mini piano roll?

If I understand you correctly you want to open a window with a particular piano roll region and for that window always to display the region no matter where the playhead is?

Here's what to do:

1/ Select the Region and open it up and size it as you want it.

2/ Switch off ALL the links... ie no coloured links activated Purple or Gold

3/ Lock the Screenset so that the black dot is visible

No matter what the playhead does that Screenset will display that Region - not matter which other regions are selected deselected etc

( the same principle applies if you want to display the Score of a particular Region without it changing with the movement of the PLayhead)