How to tell META Event 50 what Project to load?

Frances O

I have used Meta 50 years ago to load songs in a set.

I am now looking at this feature in Logic Pro.

I can create the Meta Event 50 on a midi track but cannot figure out how to tell the Meta event where and what project to load?

Can anybody shed light on what I am missing or Is this still a working feature of LOGIC?

You are of course right about the actual question.

1412249306_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-14um10_52_03.png.0a1e56c81542ee89aec8924a72be854b.png

And here is what the almighty Len Sasso stated about Meta 50:

50 Sends “Song Select” MIDI message to other MIDI devices.

I just checked and it does. The MIDI LED on my interface flashes when I send that event to it. While I sold my last drum computer in 1997, I'm pretty confident that this works.

However, Logic itself does not react to this, at least not in my quick and dirty test over IAC. It might if the command comes from another app, I dunno. This only applies to projects that are already loaded, mind you, as the command says select, not load.

To load projects per command, there's OnStage, but there's very mixed reviews about this.

Besides, I would not want to wait for Logic to unload and load projects during any kind of live performance, if that should be the goal of this exercise. There's other and better ways in Logic to sequence songs live

To load projects per command, there's OnStage, but there's very mixed reviews about this.

Besides, I would not want to wait for Logic to unload and load projects during any kind of live performance, if that should be the goal of this exercise. There's other and better ways in Logic to sequence songs live

What other way do you recommend? With SSD storage I never find the loading time to be too long. I use an older version of OnStage. It doesn't always close songs properly so I set up a key command to do that, otherwise I don't have any problems with it. I do NOT like the new version of OnStage and am incredibly not a fan of the company.

Ultimately I may end up switching to Keyboard Maestro for a bunch of things, including using it to launch Logic projects on stage.

First, we need to really define what the setup is.

Will you be going through a maze of previously set up processings, tweaking every minute detail of it live on stage or do you need a solid set of backing tracks or do you need the occasional cowbell sample because for some reason the percussionist has phoned in ill AGAIN ?

In the first case, you'll quite probably best off loading the actual projects, no doubt, and you can bridge any loading times by noodling a bit on your Hammond B3, telling a good joke to go with it.

But for the others, you can prepare bounced versions (stems or full mixes) of everything including any sophisticated processings so you don't have to load/instantiate plugins, the computer is playing plain WAV files.

These can easily be put all in one project and you jump by markers, automated even.

Or, for even greater flexibility, you can put all stems into EXS and start any song with but one key.

I work in two bands and I have 57 songs in one project and 21 in the other. Starting any of these songs requires one mouseclick and one hit on a drum pad, so if Frank yells "Montana - wait a minute, Whipping Post - no, Montana", I'm right on the money (until we get to the drum break 15seconds in, but that's another matter)

681013920_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-14um15_52_15.png.087ae48e2b7366bb78954eca3fcacdb1.png

I definitely need each project to be it's own thing, I use EXTENSIVE midi mapping in the environment and am doing a lot of recording of parts on stage. Because I hate hate hate talking on stage (which is funny because in real life I will talk your ear off) I have historically used a SP-404 to trigger samples between songs as well as using it in songs. I've been transitioning to using Beatmaker 3 on an iPad instead and while it is a little less flexible for how I work on stage it packs much smaller, which is key.

LOL RGB I have the same hangup that I need to get over about talking on stage. I only do concerts once in a while and realized on my last one (and now that I am deep in marketing my own music online) that taking people in the journey also means going outside my comfort zone and talking to them. It makes it more personal and the audience will have a much closer connection with you...sells more music and merchandise, etc.

That being said all my work in the studio is done in LPX but for live I run DP10 and MainStage. I haven't tried the latest version of OnStage but it worked for me in the past.

Pros of using MainStage...VI's can ring out as a patch change occurs, entire set is ready to go, big notes for my forgetful brain, all the LPX instruments

Cons...PITA to set up before hand having to map everything when using multiple controllers, multiple patches means setting up the same instrument over again.

DP has chunks and that make for a great show. You can do all sorts of various midi routing with it. However having said all that I am really considering another method for my next one...and I do have some live streaming shows to do soon for the fans worldwide. Time to revisit OnStage I guess.