Should I have buyer's remorse about getting the new 16" MacBook Pro vs. an iMac Pro?

D.D. Jackson

The subject heading is obviously overstated as I'm very excited about the 16" MacBook Pro I just ordered with the following configuration:

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

2TB SSD storage

However, in observing the Geekbench scores: https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

it's (understandably) still not able to compete with the iMac Pro (Late 2017) as far as multi-core performance. I guess I shouldn't be entirely surprised as obviously there are limitations with the inherently smaller and more portable footprint of a laptop vs. a desktop. I guess what I'm wondering, though, is: if my goal is to max out and future-proof as much as possible my computer for my main use of it (writing music for film/t.v. with many, many virtual instrument plug-ins, etc., etc.) - how much a difference IS there, in the end (especially factoring in the 64GB RAM and more up-to-date architecture of the new MacBook Pro vs. the iMac Pro? (I should add that I obviously also appreciate the portability of the laptop configuration, which is what ultimately also swayed me).

Thanks for any thoughts -

- rj

I think 64GB of RAM is an overkill for most applications (especially if you use NVMe drives!).

I'm surprised at how not expensive 2TB upgrade is right now. 600$ is not bad for upgrade from 512GB, might really not be worth getting an external NVMe Thunderbolt3 over it...

But no, you're comparing apples to oranges. If you need a laptop, you need a laptop. If you don't, then a desktop will always be a better choice for numerous reasons. If you make use of a laptop even 15% of the time, its probably worth it, no?

My previous template was up to 31GB of RAM so I'm hoping this will just give me more "headroom" and future-proof myself a bit more. I AM curious if the extra RAM will help offset overall slower benchmarks compared to the iMacPro I was also considering. Certainly, even "souped up" the MacBook Pro I just ordered is also CHEAPER than a comparatively equipped (and older) iMacPro, so as long as I won't hit the upper end of it's speed limitations for (several years?) I'm hoping it's the best choice between the two...

- rj

It won't offset benchmarks, it's not how it works :) iMac Pro has better cooling and is designed for continuous load, and even it has issues compared to a true workstation.

If you're using Kontakt, running a NVMe drive and overriding prebuffer can significantly drive down RAM usage.

if you're gonna move around with it, the macbook pro is obviously the right choice; if you're not going to go anywhere with it... maybe the imac pro. either way, 64gb ram does seem like overkill, but... more is more, i guess.

if u get the macbook, am looking forward to a report on it with logic (it should be amazing).