Fan constantly running in Logic with new 16" MacBook Pro & not sure why?

D.D. Jackson

I'm just curious the relationship between the Logic Performance Meter's processing thread use and the need for my new MacBook Pro (64 gigs of RAM, i9 processor, etc.) to constantly run the fans as it surprisingly is doing. Here's what the Performance Meter looks like:

2025355578_ScreenShot2019-11-20at10_39_12PM.png.abc5bf5546aef940e0a0f5b6daec2029.png

and Activity Monitor:

60021842_ScreenShot2019-11-20at10_39_30PM.thumb.png.1565647bb8aae8f7039d6ffc83d82f17.png

Yet the fans are still constantly running from the moment I start working in my session. Just curious if there's anything that can be done to reduce this and what might be going on as it's pretty loud and distracting and I was presuming with such a faster computer it might only be noticeable intermittently.

Thanks for any thoughts -

rj

Some additional info: I've already tried resetting SMC and it didn't do anything. Also: when I open Logic without anything in it at all (no plugins, etc.) - the fan starts up this way anyway, despite the fact that the Performance Meter in Logic shows no activity at all, and the Activity Monitor isn't showing anything using more than 14-15% of CPU max (and most of the time everything is under 13%). I am seeing a "Report Crash" in Activity Monitor that pops up and then promptly disappears - not sure what that's about.

Thanks for any thoughts -

- rj

FWIW, the fans are always running on a MBP, it's the speed that varies. The default is full speed so they can keep the computer cool in the event of a crash/OS issue and the OS slows them down. With this being a brand new machine it is possible there is some firmware tweaking to be done by Apple. But it could be that is just how it is, you have !16! processors, a graphics card and !64! gigs of ram in a very small package. That is a LOT of circuitry packed in to a logic board the size of two playing cards. There is a reason they increased the size of the heat sinks by 35%. If I seem unsympathetic, I kind of am. I get this complaint fairly often from my users who think that despite never restarting their computer, having 12 applications open and 25 tabs in Chrome and then freak out because their fan is running. Computers have fans for a reason.

I do fear that this is normal. The excessively high fan noise has died down so it might have had something to do with the computer settling in (since it was brand new). But you are correct that there is still a constant, noticeable (albeit quieter) fan noise and because I have the laptop right in front of me (to my right) as I work (plugged into my main external monitor screen, but functioning as a 2nd monitor to my right), it is surprisingly distracting vs. what I was expecting. It's quite the investment so I'll need to decide if it's too overly distracting, and - if so - perhaps consider an alternative. Sadly, the new MacPro (as quiet and powerful as I presume it is, especially since it would be under my desk should I consider it), seemed exaggeratedly pricey once I added in what I'd need RAM-rise, etc. But the iMacPro's may have similar problems fan-wise (?) and also haven't been updated in a while. Maybe I'll resign to "hiding" this 16" Macbook Pro where my old Mac Pro used to be situated (under my desk) so the noise isn't as much at "ear level". Obviously this may seem picky for so powerful and excellent a computer, but I want to make sure it's the right choice since I just got it and it can still be exchanged...(plus perhaps the fan noise will continue to die down once it "settles in"? - I guess I'll give in a few days)...

- rj

I do fear that this is normal. The excessively high fan noise has died down so it might have had something to do with the computer settling in (since it was brand new). But you are correct that there is still a constant, noticeable (albeit quieter) fan noise and because I have the laptop right in front of me (to my right) as I work (plugged into my main external monitor screen, but functioning as a 2nd monitor to my right), it is surprisingly distracting vs. what I was expecting. It's quite the investment so I'll need to decide if it's too overly distracting, and - if so - perhaps consider an alternative. Sadly, the new MacPro (as quiet and powerful as I presume it is, especially since it would be under my desk should I consider it), seemed exaggeratedly pricey once I added in what I'd need RAM-rise, etc. But the iMacPro's may have similar problems fan-wise (?) and also haven't been updated in a while. Maybe I'll resign to "hiding" this 16" Macbook Pro where my old Mac Pro used to be situated (under my desk) so the noise isn't as much at "ear level". Obviously this may seem picky for so powerful and excellent a computer, but I want to make sure it's the right choice since I just got it and it can still be exchanged...(plus perhaps the fan noise will continue to die down once it "settles in"? - I guess I'll give in a few days)...

- rj

Not much help, but, I have a brand new battery in mine, back from Apple, with some Logic projects the fans are too noisy still, I have it set up to the right, like you, as a 2nd monitor, its on a Hi Rise stand too, doubt the noise will die down tbh, sadly I am not sure a laptop is the best choice, I have talked with a few people with the same problem.

let us know how you get on . Good luck

I thought it might be some temporary cause like that, but the CPU meters didn't seem to be indicating that sort of activity, and when I hit the Spotify icon in the upper right it didn't say "indexing". I'm starting to conclude that there is a noticeable, always-on fan sound coming from my new i9 16" MacBook Pro at all times. Bummer. It's probably not noticable in more ambient, slightly noisy environments (and is much less "frantic" than when I first started using the new computer, where it was running on high), but in my completely silent recording studio it's definitely there. Curious if the iMac Pro fans also run constantly, since that's also an all-in-one sort of design? I seriously would have splurged on the Mac Pro, but that thing needs to be about $2000 less starting price to feel reasonable to me...Perhaps I'll resort to not using the Macbook Pro screen as a second monitor and locating it a little less within "earshot" (curious if others also do this, for the same reason)?

- rj

First off, congratulations on the new MacBook Pro. I kinda wish I had waited, but that just wasn't reasonable for me. My old 2011 MPB was on its last and I didn't want to risk total failure.

That said, I'd agree, your new system is likely indexing things and will settle down some when that's complete. Give it a few days, then if it's still running the fans hard, think about it.

Back to my 2019 i9 MBP, it gets hot running Logic. I use Fahrenheit , see 170, 180 degrees numbers show up all the time. That might pull the fans up to about half speed. The rear left side of the top ( keyboard ) gets real hot.

While that might not cause the thing to fry soon, it's hotter than I'm comfortable with. So I installed a fan controller app, IStatMenus, and when running Logic I put the fans on medium ( half way up ). Yes, it's sucking in dust, and making some noise ( I don't really notice that ), but it keeps the case from getting hot on top. And that's my rationalization for keeping the 2019. I can just turn the fans up. The tiny radiators inside the MBP only really work if air is flowing over them. So that has to happen one way or the other. Either let Apple turn the fans up, or do it yourself. Or, let the thing cook. Lots of heat generated in a very small case, it's got to get out somehow. Its not gonna passively cool very quickly. That's why the fans are in there, and they made them bigger.

I AM seeing some "mdworker" in the Activity Monitor, but it doesn't seem to be sucking up too much CPU:

1507991751_ScreenShot2019-11-21at3_31_39PM.thumb.png.5ea742397d7462922a613d7b8573882f.png

Perhaps I'll just do what you're all suggesting and wait a few days then re-assess...Who knows? Maybe I'll also get used to the fan sound if it's still there :-)...Certainly otherwise love not having constant drop outs (I was previously using a 2015 15" MacBook Pro with 16 Gigs of RAM - quieter, but much less powerful)...So we'll see...

I'll also definitely get an app to monitor fan speeds/temperatures.

Thanks all -

- rj

Either one of my MBP's periodically will rev the fans way up for a while out of nowhere then things settle back down. It's almost always that mdworker thing doing whatever it does, indexing files. There may be downsides to using a fan controller, but I like at least the iStat thing showing what the temps are. This one right now ( 2019 i9 ), with Logic running, a browser open, an external monitor, and USB hooked to my XR18 mixer is at 130 F and the fans at about 4000 rpm each.

I should add, that 4000 rpm thing is where I have the fans set when I'm loading it down. That's iStats Medium fan setting. If I were to put things back to system controlled, the fans would drop back to their idle value of about 2000 rpm. Then the case would get hot. Not hot enough to bake a pizza, but definitely warm.

the i9? or just, in general, too much power in too small a package? maybe apple will get this right with an upcoming system update.

the fans rarely came on with my previous macbook pro (13" maxed-out 2015). seems the newer macbook pros are like jet engines installed into volkswagen bugs... :shock:

My maxed out 2015 fan is noisy, was with the old battery and with the new, not all the time though, but when it is noisy, its noisy, seems especially noisy in my studio in the silence.

I am not sure about a 'FAN CONTROL' thing, the fans are in there for a reason and run harder when its needed. just my opinion,

I would never get another laptop for recording, I am on the look out for a used macpro now, I will keep the macbook pro though, as a back up, apart from the fan noise its fantastic.

Edited by kerochan

the i9? or just, in general, too much power in too small a package? maybe apple will get this right with an upcoming system update.

the fans rarely came on with my previous macbook pro (13" maxed-out 2015). seems the newer macbook pros are like jet engines installed into volkswagen bugs... :shock:

My maxed out 2015 fan is noisy, was with the old battery and with the new, not all the time though, but when it is noisy, its noisy, seems especially noisy in my studio in the silence.

I am not sure about a 'FAN CONTROL' thing, the fans are in there for a reason and runner harder when its needed. just my opinion,

I would never get another laptop for recording, I am on the look out for a used macpro now, I will keep the macbook pro though, as a back up, apart from the fan noise its fantastic.

yeah, I would strongly advise against manually adjusting fan speed, this is a case where (barring the occasional bug) the computer knows best.

I think I'm the person that brought up the fan control thing. Yes, I agree, in most cases it's best to let the system control the fans. There are perhaps some downsides to overriding Apple's temperature curves. The fans might wear out sooner. It will certainly clog the heat sink radiators with dust sooner. The fans will make more noise.

So, don't do it. Let the system run itself.

If anyone wants to discuss system overheating or fried graphics chips, I've quite a lot to say about that. Somewhere else, some other thread.

Just an "OP" update: I finally threw in the towel and put my new 16" Macbook Pro in a compartment under my desk, for which the rear is exposed to the "outside", and the front of the compartment is lined with some extra Auralex foam I spray-glued to the walls/door of it, to reduce noise. I have the MacBook Pro hooked up to my existing 4K monitor, plus I also have a 2nd HD monitor I plan to use to the right. I've now found that even when the fan is running 100% it's manageable. At the same time, I DID do what people recommended and installed the "Fanny" app into Notification Center so I could get a better sense of fan activity. What I've found after having the new computer for a few days is that the fan noise and the extent to which it runs on high has definitely subsided anyway, significantly, from when I was first using it on my desk and it was blasting 100% a lot of the time with Logic open (hence the anxiety I expressed in my original post). I'm hoping that I've now achieved the best of both worlds: manageable noise management when at home, plus the option of quickly unplugging and bringing with me on the road. Thanks again all -

- rj

Logic enables the discrete GPU, which adds 35W to the cooling equation.

15" (and now 16") with discrete GPUs were always running hot, but this is especially true for the 2018-2019 models.

13" never had discrete GPUs so they run the same regardless all the time.

I can run a 50-track live-concert session on my 13" 2018 and the fans don't even turn on for the first 20 minutes, it idles at 0 rpm.

The 2016 onward 15" seemed louder to me than the previous gen. For the brief period I had my i9, i knew i wouldn't be comfy working with it in the studio so i went the Mini +13" route instead.

Frankly, for an acoustically clean studio environment, going with something that has fans in front of your face all the time doesn't seem like an ideal option.

Hey I just came here to see if anyone else was having the same issue!

I was so excited I picked one of these up last week, but I didn't get to really test it until today. I'm coming from a late 2012 iMac that bit the dust the day before the 2016 was announced. I think I was so excited that I completely forgot to think about adding fan noise into my studio.

Opening up one instance of Omnisphere 2 got the fan going pretty dang loud, and I immediately felt a sense of regret flow over me. I rarely noticed the fan on my old 2012 iMac, and when I did I felt like it was not too bad at all (external hard drives spinning behind my desk were more audible) . I can't imagine using my microphone with this thing in my room. I don't think it's a nitpicky thing at all, these things cost $$$, and that sound adds up in the audio production studio.

I guess I'm going to have to look at those current iMacs...or maybe look at that iMac Pro? iMacs just got an update in 2019, maybe I'll just stick with the family. Maybe those iMac Pro's are way more than what I need.

Also, I was wayyyy excited to have my full work-rig with me on the go for live performances and mobile recordings, and also picked up a beautiful Apollo x4 <3. If this is just the way it is, in regards to fan noise, it may honestly be a deal breaker for me, especially coming from a pretty quiet desktop. I don't really like the idea of hiding this thing in my desk (I have one of those Output Platform desks, so there really isn't a good spot for it). Also, as I'm getting older, I like being able to sit back in my chair, and i find that its a lot easier to keep good posture with my iMac than the MacBook Pro, which I'm constantly hunched over on when I'm using it. I feel like these two things are enough for me to go right back to my desktop setup.

Edited by skylerdavid

If I hadn’t bought the new Mini last year I would have found a way to get the new iMac. That is a lot of machine. Would I like an iMac pro? Sure, but it is paying for a lot more power than one actually needs for audio. And think about what you replaced, a machine that was probably used every day for 7 years, and that is a pretty good return on the investment.

We recently procured the 2019 iMac i9 at the college I teach at, and it might be the best audio platform I've worked on. Fans are silent for us, no issues. Running Mojave and wired peripherals that nobody wants to steal.

I'm thinking this is what I'm going to do. I just priced out the comparable iMac (3.6 GHz i9, 32GB ram, 2 TB SSD) and it only came out to 100 bucks more than my 16" MBP (not counting my educator discount). Fan noise is just a deal breaker for me. There's absolutely no way I can do a mix while having to ignore the fan noise that is coming out of this thing.