Scoring in Logic Pro 7

kirkeeb

This is a very good question and the type of effect you are trying to achieve is seen usually by professionals using Finale or Sibelius. The scoring pages in Cubase, Logic and sequencing applications are fine for conveying basic information to performers or for use in a quick pick-up sessions but if you are trying to achieve the appearance of something you would see on a stage you need to have either Finale or Sibelius. They are designed to provide a graphic flexibility not seen in sequencing applications becuase they were not originally designed to be sequencers but were designed to be essentially "graphic" programs designed to focus on music notation.

I disagree. I recently attended a seminar by an accomplished composer who had examples of his scores written for the Russian National Orchestra that were assembled and printed in Logic Pro 7. They looked as legit as anything I've seen produced in either of the applications that you mentioned. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Logic's scoring abilities.

BTW, you can change text styles, fonts and sizes by going to the Score window's local Text menu and selecting Text Styles. You can add a new text style by going to that window's New menu and selecting New Text Style.

I think with a little work (a bad word in this day and age) you can produce scores as detailed as you need in Logic. Don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and make it happen. You have all the tools you need.

Enjoy!

T.

I disagree. I recently attended a seminar by an accomplished composer who had examples of his scores written for the Russian National Orchestra that were assembled and printed in Logic Pro 7. They looked as legit as anything I've seen produced in either of the applications that you mentioned. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Logic's scoring abilities.

BTW, you can change text styles, fonts and sizes by going to the Score window's local Text menu and selecting Text Styles. You can add a new text style by going to that window's New menu and selecting New Text Style.

I think with a little work (a bad word in this day and age) you can produce scores as detailed as you need in Logic. Don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and make it happen. You have all the tools you need.

Enjoy!

T.

T he asked a specific question about a specific task that cannot be done with Logic's score editor and can be in a dedicated score programs, not an overall assessment of Logic as a score program.

That said:

Logic Score Pros:

(All this assumes you know Logic's score editor well.)

1. If you are also using the midi to be added to whatever you are printing out it is all integrated into the same file. And Logic is by far a more powerful compositional app than any score program.

2. If you are a proficient piano player you can enter the data faster in Logic and get it to look and sound right quicker.

3. When you make a change in the part it is changed in the score. None of this "extracting parts" business.

4. Your parts will be accurate, professional, and you will have no complaints.

Logic Cons:

1. Sometimes you will have to keep two versions: one that sounds exactly right and one that looks exactly right.

2. There are certain anomalies like tuplet configurations that Logic will sometimes not do correctly i.e. like tying from one note into the first 8th note of an 8th note triplet so you have to put in an 8th note, make its velocity zero and attach a slur to it to make it look like a tie. There are other little things like that. All have workarounds but it is a PITA sometimes.

3. While it will look fine it will not look as elegant or engraving quality as a top end dedicated score program.

For me the bottom line is that I use Logic for scoring because:

1. It is my compositional program for my own scores so the data will entered there. And the other composerss I work for are mostly Logic users also so we can send the files back and forth, coma sopre, etc. seamlessly.

2. I know it really well.

3. I am a proficient pianist.

4. In my own scores I generally am adding audio and virtual instrument parts to the stuff I am printing out and this way it is integrated iinto one, or two, files.

5. I hate the whole extracting parts business. When I make a change to the part I want it to be immediately reflected in the score and vice-versa.

6. The parts are accurate, professional, and I get no complaints.

If you are not a proficient pianist, do not care all that much about how the midi sounds or are not adding other things besides what you are printing out, not using Logic as a compositional tool or working with/for other composers who use Logic, or do not know it really well then you would be better off with a fine score program like SIbelius.

I was responding to Runner, not the original poster. I know perfectly well what Logic's score editor will and will not do. What I AM saying is that to dismiss it as second-rate compared to Finale or Sibelius is extreme and invalid. Professional scores can be and are created in it without any help from other apps.

T.

I was responding to Runner, not the original poster. I know perfectly well what Logic's score editor will and will not do. What I AM saying is that to dismiss it as second-rate compared to Finale or Sibelius is extreme and invalid. Professional scores can be and are created in it without any help from other apps.

T.

Well, IMHO you are bothe right and wrong. Yes, "professional scores can be and are created in it without any help from other apps" and I have done this with Logic for years. But that said its capablities are in the literal sense of the term "second rate" compared to a really good dedicated score program. Of course their midi capabilities are fourth rate and their audio capabilities non-existent.

T,

I was going to let this go but you have upset me by taking my words out of context.

First – In my first post I was being constructive and showing another perspective. I even said “this is a good question” BUT you seem to have missed the intention of my post.

Second - If you think I dismissed Logic's Score editor as being second rate you are poorly mistaken, I wrote no such thing. You should read my first post, AGAIN, I didn't even use the words "second rate".

Third - There are many ways to do the same thing in the music world but here is a fact, the engraving abilities of notation programs are much preferred over the notation abilities of sequencing programs. Using Logic’s is FINE, but if you wan to achieve certain graphical nuances you will need a proper music notation program or pencil and paper.

Fourth - You may get by in a recording session using Logics Score output BUT the differences are blatant. Obviously you have never used a proper music notation program or find them a waste of time because you think you know everything.

Fifth – I’m speaking from experience so maybe you should come to one of my scoring sessions sometime and you can talk to another “accomplished” composer and get a new perspective. As for scoring sessions, when I go to Fox, Warner Brothers or Sony or I use and an orchestrator we all use Finale...some of my friends use Sibelius. As for when I have gone to Europe I still use Finale. BUT if I have to do something “quick” I will just use Logic's Score editor which I did for a couple of pick-up sessions recently, or I will use pencil and paper.

Believe me I could go on and shout claims about how I know accomplished people that I met at seminars. Well, I’m doing it and it’s better to know more then not know much. So next time you post think before you post you may learn what these posts are about; getting more then one perspective to be WELL informed instead of arrogant.:D

Runner,

Well, of course, this just goes to show that if you ever disagree with anyone about anything in this day and age you should just keep your mouth shut or risk getting railed against and told that you're incredibly ignorant. I guess the days of intelligent, rational debate are long gone.

Yes, you know all, I know nothing. Are we done now?

What a dumba$$ I am for even responding and trying to be helpful in the first place.

Sayonara, Logic Pro Help!

Signing off,

T. :x

I say this is all Kirkeeb's fault for starting this thread in the first place. Let's hunt him down and beat him up. I know where he'll play next! :P

OK guys, calm down, let's just agree to disagree. I'm not the most expert on the scoring side of Logic and I am not even going to try to enter the debate. Obviously, as in other areas, Logic is great, but maybe other tools can do certain things better.

I certainly think there's no need to get offended over any of this, however the problem with electronic communications, be it emails or forums, is that you never know exactly the "tone" of the other person, so you're left with words to interpret as best as you can, and we all know how we all can get a little paranoid sometimes.

Let's just shake hands and move on. We've got some work to do here.

Terrydrums, don't go anywhere, we need you here! :D

Guys!!!

I only asked this because I was in the studio reading a chart made in LOGIC PRO...

The keyboard player asked why the coda sign was too small and hard to read.

I then went home to my bros...(you guys) got on the boards to ask this question.

We will all figure this out together...let's move on like David said...ok?

David...please don't beat me up...I'm a lover ...not a fighter

just like what Michael Jackson said...

Hee Hee......owwwwwwwwww!!!!!

(':wink:')

How do you make Coda,Sharp and Flat signs larger when making/printing a chart?

Thanks!

You can use the Size Tool to scale the "to coda" and "sign" symbols + or - 16, but not sharps and flats without changing the size of the note it's attached to. I'm in the Score Window, Page View. The tool looks like a lower left corner.

Regards,

Scott