Apple Loops

blaydonrob

Hi all

I want to audition apple loops while my project is playing by clicking on the loop that I am interested in. I'm sure this used to work, but now the loop won't play when the project is playing. I really don't want to have to drag every loop into the project before I can hear it playing along with the project. Have I inadvertently checked or unchecked a field somewhere?

Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Is there any update to this? I'm having the same problem - the loops will play on their own, and they will play in the track - but only if I drag them into it. When I am just trying to audition them whilst the track is playing (i.e. 'shopping'/window browsing for loops) they do not play. I have checked the volume slider and speaker button at the bottom of loops. I have checked the preview channel in mixer. They all seem to be fine, but still the loops won't preview whilst playing the track. Can you please help?

If on the other hand Apple loops are 'going to the dogs' nowadays and the above suggestion to dump them and go for Loopcloud still prevails, please let me know - it just seems crazy that Logic Pro X can't perform this very basic function!?

Thanks very much for any help...

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

Is there any update to this? I'm having the same problem - the loops will play on their own, and they will play in the track - but only if I drag them into it. When I am just trying to audition them whilst the track is playing (i.e. 'shopping'/window browsing for loops) they do not play. I have checked the volume slider and speaker button at the bottom of loops. I have checked the preview channel in mixer. They all seem to be fine, but still the loops won't preview whilst playing the track. Can you please help?

If on the other hand Apple loops are 'going to the dogs' nowadays and the above suggestion to dump them and go for Loopcloud still prevails, please let me know - it just seems crazy that Logic Pro X can't perform this very basic function!?

Thanks very much for any help...

Cheers

Simon

I’ve never experienced this, but as I mentioned before, Loopcloud is just a better solution for many different reasons. Logic’s loop browser is just outdated. Maybe one day Apple will decide to update it, but for now I rarely use it. Sometimes for something quick, instead of opening Loopcloud and creating a new track, I just the browser. Other than that, it’s just crap. Loopcloud is free and it gives you so many different options including not having to convert to an Apple Loop.

Try it, if you haven’t yet

Thanks 3ple, and Ozinga, I've downloaded it... Is there some way to get it working as a plugin in Logic though?... it doesn't seem to come up anywhere... or do you just drag the loops in? and does this mean you can't use any of the Apple loops (I quite like some of the newer 'live' drum loops and am using them on a track right now).... Des - are you asking or telling? (wasn't sure with the '?')! Thanks!

Ok so I have accessed Loopcloud through Logic using a new software track... maybe this is just me(?), but (1) it seems a bit unintuitive; and (2) the styles seem to be limited to House/Dub/Hiphop/Chillout etc. Now I've got nothing against those genres! - but they are not mine. eg. right now I'm looking for some decent/classy live drums, maybe some decent Fender Rhodes sounds, and tons of other stuff. All I'm getting is dance based sounds that are also pretty hard to access?.... and it also does appear that there is no obvious way to access the Apple loops either, for what that's worth. Now not all Apple loops are good, for sure, but there are plenty of good ones in there and I have to say that compared with what I've heard so far on Loopcloud, my personal preference is with Apple Loops! (which seemingly no longer works in any meaningful way as you can't audition the sounds along with your track). So I come full circle - Any thoughts? 3ple - can you tell me what I am missing please?..... thank you in advance anyone that can shed some light on this for me/others!

Let's see if I can help and explain everything...

Loopcloud is not a plugin that runs inside Logic, per se. You create a new software instrument and then insert as such, but then you have to launch the standalone version (this is actually something I dislike and wish they would come up with something better, but oh well...). Logic then will create a connection between the plugin and the standalone version.

It comes with some "welcome" sounds, but then you can import your own folders by just dragging them into the Loopcloud window (standalone version). In this case if you want the Apple Loops, just go here:

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops and drag the Apple Loops folder.

Loopmasters give you some credits that you can use to buy loops so you will have access to their store and you will for sure be able to find endless options, not just electronic music stuff. They also offer free loops and samples everyday, depending on your subscription (if you decide to buy one, of course, but even with the free version you get a few free loops and samples everyday. You just can't pick which, but...

I would suggest that you take some time to read the manual and even watch videos on YouTube so you can get familiar with it, because as I said, it's a great tool. It would be great if it was a real plugin, but overall I rather have it that way than Logic's loop browser.

You can edit the loops before importing them, change the starting point, change the pitch, speed, etc, something that you can't with Logic's browser.

As with everything else, it takes time to learn all the paths and shortcuts, how it works, but it's not hard once you get familiar with it. They are also very responsive when it comes to bugs and all that, so it's also a plus when you experience some kind of bug.

Hope this helps everyone here :) anything else, let me know

3ple, thanks so much for taking the time to explain everything, that’s very kind and much appreciated. I’m a complete novice where loops/plugins are concerned as you can see! Thanks again.

You're more than welcome! We are all novice at some point, right? ;) We learn from each other as well so I'm glad I can help.

Take time to explore and you will see how great that plugin is. It can literally save you so much time!

Also, you can tag the files with custom tags. For example, let's say you have a drum loop that sounds "soft" to you and one that sounds "hard". You can tag them like that "Soft Drums", "Hard Drums". The more you customize your files, the faster you work.

When you import a folder, it automatically analyzes and start some automatic tagging, so it saves you some time. It's not 100% accurate when it comes to some tags, but I would say it's 90%, which is great :)

Another great FREE tool that I would recommend, if you don't know it yet is ADSR Sample Manager.

It also works with loops, but there are some features there that I think they still need to work on for it to be as good as Loopcloud for loops.

But for samples, it's better than Loopcloud for sure. You can also use custom tags and it works as a plugin, meaning you can have 10 instances of it, unlike Loopcloud which limits you to 1 instance per Logic Project and doesn't save the state (unless you subscribe to a plan that includes that option). But those 2 tools are great time savers ;)

Sorry I am late but 3ple explained it quite well.

Being standalone is my gripe too. ADSR is another good one as suggested. But I love the fact that you can use or create patterns and audition your samples with patterns in Loopcloud is great. For example auditioning different snares while your song is running on downbeats instead of a one shot manner is great. BTW you can hide all the promo stuff that came with it and only show your own sample folders.

Sorry I am late but 3ple explained it quite well.

Being standalone is my gripe too. ADSR is another good one as suggested. But I love the fact that you can use or create patterns and audition your samples with patterns in Loopcloud is great. For example auditioning different snares while your song is running on downbeats instead of a one shot manner is great. BTW you can hide all the promo stuff that came with it and only show your own sample folders.

Not sure if you’re aware but Loopcloud receives midi as well so if you have a sequence in Logic, just copy it to the Loopcloud track and now you can listen to it as well. It even lets you transpose the sample depending on the pitch of the midi note.

The only advantage for me when it comes to Loopcloud is that you can save patterns, which I wish Logic would have an option for that. I have an idea for a plugin that does that but I need to find a developer that wants to build it with me