Beat Mapping, possible bug?

strikingtwice

Hi all. I'm in 10.4.7

I have a video in right now. I'm hitting some (locked) markers with the beat map, which was already made, and the beats are now gone. I don't remember deleting them, but that's neither here nor there. Now, i want to do a new tempo change to get to another new beat marker, but every time i'm trying to make the beat marker, it's deleting my entire tempo track and using one tempo. I've even tried to make like "pins" where it was mapping a beat to exactly where it already is, but it's still not holding. Is this a bug? It works the same way in a brand new project also.

410416963_ScreenShot2019-12-03at10_00_01PM.thumb.png.e4d1e217b35a2d99035bbc7bc45d42c7.png

An overview of the global tracks

That's how beat mapping works: it creates a tempo change at the beginning of the project or at the position where you mapped the last beat (if any). If Logic doesn't see any beat already mapped then it creates the tempo change at the beginning of the project.

You should be able to create markers at the tempo change positions, lock their SMPTE position and map those markers to recreate the same tempo changes albeit with beat mapped so that you can keep going beat mapping your song.

On the other hand that tempo curve you've created is going to have to go if you want to beat map anything further into the song.

Make sure they're all locked to SMPTE before you start. Also when you map one, the tempo change at that position will disappear, that's normal as it calculates the tempo at the position of the preceding mapping. That tempo change will reappear only when you map the following beat. Just... do it and trust the process. It's counterintuitive but it works.

• 1 month later...

This is a follow up to a question i posted here a few weeks ago. The answer i got was "you have to rebuild the beat map", which makes total sense. I may have poked around on it on the previous project but at that point it didn't matter. I am at it again, i want to make tempo changes after the existing stuff that is already in the following vdieo, and it keeps killing my tempo. I've tried to create beats where they belong as they are now, but it's still killing everything. See the video for the example. What am i missing here?

No i haven't really tried smart tempo because i know the beat mapping way so well, but the introduction of smart tempo has seemed to change all of the things that i used to do with my old technique. To be honest i kind of hate smart tempo and all of the stuff that i tried just didn't work the way i was hoping/thinking it was going to work.

How do you think it would help me in this case though? i am not trying to match any new tempo, i am trying to drag beats to existing sources already.

Also, i ended up deleting the tempo set information and re beat mapping it with the markers track from scratch and i have something that works for what i need at the moment

This is a follow up to a question i posted here a few weeks ago.

I've merged the two threads together since the topic is the same. In fact I suggest you re-read my original answer from a month ago, it explains the (expected) behavior you're getting in your new video. If there's something you still don't understand explain which part of my answer is unclear and I'll happily clarify.

Cool thanks for that david.

I get what you’re saying, about the tempo changes disappearing that makes sense.

So I did rebuild them, all of the markers are locked because they have to be, and they still would not change when I was just trying to edit from the existing map. I had to remove all of the tempo changes and start with a new set.

I guess what I’m not getting is why couldn’t I just leave the original stuff in there and add the changes? The entire beginning was identical and I just needed to add a change at the end

I guess my reply disappeared while consolidating topics just like beat mapping lines. lol

I had the same issue. The problem as I understand from your video is, when you open up the project you do not see the previously set beat mapping lines so Logic thinks there is not beat mapping at all. Just tempo changes. I deleted the Logic preferences and it works as before. At least for now.

Aaahhhh now we’re talking, maybe that’s the issue. Did you have to redo all of your prefs or did you find a way to save like default toolbar sets and stuff

Actually I was not using LPX for years and I fired it up for a project so I did not have much customization and I just deleted all. It seems like a rare bug to pinpoint.

• 1 year later...

Hey I just stumbled into the tempo change events being deleted when doing some beat mapping (based on midi events).

There is no doubt in my mind that creating beat mapping lines should not delete all previous tempo events in the session.

In Logic Pro X 3.1 the behavior is that the previous events don't get deleted. For obvious reasons.

Beat mapping is just adding new tempo events (that are controlled by a dynamic process) and should only modify sections where they are created.

I have been working with Logic for 25 years and often have sessions with multiple tracks and tempos in one big timeline, scoring for films and docs.

Yeah I'm stuck with Logic Pro X 4 on my 2010 Mac Pro. Because of this bug I am considering using 3.1 to have proper tempo behavior.

The only work around I have found if I need to work in LogicProx 4 is to copy all the existing tempo events in an alternate tempo list, then do my beatmapping, and when that's done, I copy paste all the tempo changes back from the alternate list into my active list. And then it all exists in harmony. There will be situations where this will drastically slow your workflow but in some cases it works well enough.

I just registered to this site to share this workaround. Had a quick read at the thread and it seems some people believe this is normal behavior. Maybe we're not talking about the same issues but I hope my post helps whoever gets the issue.

I am guessing LogiProX 5 has fixed all this.