Desperately need help: Logic X freezing in the beginning of an offline bounce

KikkoAndMoonman

Hi all,

Having some real issues here. My project constantly freezes in the beginning of an offline bounce (realtime works fine). It starts with the progress bar, then just stops and totally freezes Logic. Other projects work totally fine so this is linked with this project in some way.

So far, I have tried:

Making a brand new project and importing all tracks

Trying to isolate each track to find the culprit (none found)

Ensured there were no hidden track hijinks

Tried restarting many times

Ensured nothing unwanted was going on my master channel

Tried turning on and off all the channels

Got rid of any unused tracks

I've reinstalled Logic

I would love some advice as I have a big deadline...

Thank you so much!

Edited by KikkoAndMoonman

No worries, it's not forbidden to bump your thread.

Are there any 3rd party plug-in in that project? Have you tried making a copy of the project and removing all 3rd party plug-ins?

Thank you for your reply, David. I have many third party plug-ins but I've tried isolating every element in my project to find a culprit; none found during each individual bounce, no conflicts. I've tried reinstalling Logic from scratch, I've tried making a brand new project and copying over the instruments; nothing works sadly. What's weird is live bouncing seems to work but offline not at all. My system isn't being pushed. Apple support refuse to help me and treat me like a plague-bearer because I had my Mac Pro custom built and I am running Mojave :lol:

Custom built... by Apple?

So I bought it off a website (www.create.pro) who custom build you 5.1 systems, using the older Logic boards but other new hardware and such. I totally understand that it's outside of their support network and I theoretically shouldn't be able to run Mojave on here, but based on all the symptoms I'm having, I know this is an internal software problem linked with the project, as it's behaving fine with other projects. It's frustrating they're unable to help me on that side, as I'd be great to just show them my project via screenshare.

it's reasonable to be concerned, but... if realtime bounce works for this one project, why not just do that?

I do get your point, but I suppose yeah, I have this concern that something is seriously wrong with the project if you know what I mean. There's clearly something dodgy going on. It also saves me a huge amount of time! I just find it so peculiar that realtime works but offline doesn't. I would've thought it would be the other way round based on CPU-use, though my system isn't being pushed that hard by this.

something's causing the problem (a 3rd-party plugin likely), but, either way... you can do a bounce.

if this was happening with every project, you'd have to solve it. and no harm in trying to do that now. but be happy you CAN get the music bounced... imho, you're in good shape, and should just get it bounced, and move on.

Freeze on bounce sounds exactly like the bug introduced in IK Multimedia T-racks 5.2. If that’s the case they recently updated to 5.2.2 and that seemed to fix it.

Just throwing it out there because it sounds exactly like the issue I was having with the T-racks tapes plug-ins.

I've tried isolating every element in my project to find a culprit;l:

I'm not clear on wether that means you've tried my specific suggestion?

Sorry, I meant to say I had tried to isolate each track to find the plug-in or instrument causing the issue; would you mean grabbing all of them but just not loading any of my plugins? Though right now, I unfortunately got a freeze in a project and now I can't even force quit Logic! Any ideas about that? :(

what presence said, above... check all your 3rd-party plugins, make sure they're up-to-date...

I'll double check but as far as I'm aware they are all up-to-date. They are also all legit!

Regarding your other point, I was able to consistently real-time bounce one track alternative, so I agree it's good to have that option, but I'm still perplexed why real-time is fine but not offline. Right now, though, I got a huge freeze when loading another alternative and can't even force quit the app via Terminal!

I meant you save a copy of your project, remove ALL 3rd party plug-ins from the entire mixer and try to bounce, see if the issue is still there?

Sorry, I had misunderstood. I'll do that. Also, I don't know if this information is helpful but it's within a project that has alternatives. It's also sometimes really making Logic crash with it being unable to even be closed fully!

That's another test to run in the copy you save: remove all alternatives. Basically try to elminate whatever variable you think could potentially be the culprit.

Well I've tested a few times now without any 3rd parties (including going back and forth between the project) and it's bouncing fine, so it must be a plug-in problem. Question is, how on Earth do I isolate the single culprit out of all them? I have 153 tracks! Thank you for helping me with this btw

i understand wanting to resolve the issue, but... isn't getting work done more important? anyway, if you decide to dig deeper, make a copy of your project, and test that; you can remove plugins in groups (& keep track of what you remove); easier to start there then to check them one-at-a time.

perhaps remove the same plugins (ie one particular eq in a number of tracks, etc). see how that goes. at some point (hopefully), you'll isolate the problem. or not :mrgreen:

am sure david or others here might have other suggestions on how to troubleshoot...

i understand wanting to resolve the issue, but... isn't getting work done more important? anyway, if you decide to dig deeper, make a copy of your project, and test that; you can remove plugins in groups (& keep track of what you remove); easier to start there then to check them one-at-a time.

perhaps remove the same plugins (ie one particular eq in a number of tracks, etc). see how that goes. at some point (hopefully), you'll isolate the problem. or not :mrgreen:

am sure david or others here might have other suggestions on how to troubleshoot...

Oh absolutely, I set aside some time today to try and sort this as I had a bit of room to do so! Thankfully I can at least bounce live, otherwise I'd be in real trouble. Thank you for your replies on my thread. Out of interest, do you know if there's any logical explanation for why the live bounce behaves correctly but not the offline?

Out of interest, do you know if there's any logical explanation for why the live bounce behaves correctly but not the offline?

It's too early in the troubleshooting process to tell. You can't tell why your car makes a noise when going in reverse but not when going forward until you've observed where exactly the noise comes from.

i've had a couple of projects that didn't bounce correctly offline (in one, i tracked it down to an automation event that somehow stalled the bounce offline), so... too many possibilities.

getting a project bounced any way is so much better than it not bouncing at all, or crashing logic... etc etc.

anyway, keep us posted, if you find the culprit.

Out of interest, do you know if there's any logical explanation for why the live bounce behaves correctly but not the offline?

It's too early in the troubleshooting process to tell. You can't tell why your car makes a noise when going in reverse but not when going forward until you've observed where exactly the noise comes from.

Haha a good analogy

i've had a couple of projects that didn't bounce correctly offline (in one, i tracked it down to an automation event that somehow stalled the bounce offline), so... too many possibilities.

getting a project bounced any way is so much better than it not bouncing at all, or crashing logic... etc etc.

anyway, keep us posted, if you find the culprit.

I shall do, I'm certainly pleased there's a workaround for this.