Drummer playing beats in 3/4 HELP

dk2429

I'm having a problem with the drummer designer....

I'm trying to re-record a song from a while back from scratch (I deleted the original project a while back.)

The song is in 3/4 at 172bpm. The drums should be playing in half time. For whatever reason, I can't for the life of me get the drummer to play the pattern I want. It worked just fine the first time I recorded the song, but no matter what I do I can't get him to do it this time. I tried going to 6/8, tried going to 86bpm, he's still playing some weird funky waltz or something. Here is the recording of the song... Skip to 1:07. This is the way I need him to play

It's just a simple 3/4 rock beat.

Any help? I've tried everything I know...

Update-

Tried the 3/8 method still nothing.. I just noticed that if I put it in 3/4 timing, with kick/snare slider on half time, everything plays as I want EXCEPT the snare.. He literally never hits the snare unless it's a fill. The snare isn't muted because I converted to midi track and there are no snare notes.

This starting to drive me crazy.. It worked perfectly fine the first time I did the song months ago. Any other ideas?

Thank you all for your help by the way, and Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried using groove track, starring the original recording?

If possible, try isolating the percussion pieces on different drummer tracks.

As one can realize, the drummer has a "life" of its own... Meaning that there is a part of randomness, making its outcome at least partly unpredictable. So when you get what you want, even partly, convert same to MIDI, and either work from there, or use same as groove to lead drummer onto another track.

Have you tried using groove track, starring the original recording?

If possible, try isolating the percussion pieces on different drummer tracks.

As one can realize, the drummer has a "life" of its own... Meaning that there is a part of randomness, making its outcome at least partly unpredictable. So when you get what you want, even partly, convert same to MIDI, and either work from there, or use same as groove to lead drummer onto another track.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the groove track method with no success.

I'm not to sure how to go about isolating the percussion pieces....

It's really annoying because as you can hear in the link I provided, it gave no issues whatsoever the first time we recorded song. The drummer did exactly as I wanted

Can you save a copy of your project, clean up what's not needed for resolving this issue (delete all other tracks, all audio files from the Project File browser, delete alternatives, undo history etc...) and attach it here so we can have a look? How to attach files to your post

I assume you mean only post what the drummer is doing? So no guitars, bass, vocals, etc...

The closest I can achieve is:

Tempo=86

Sig: 6/8

Cymbal pattern variation=1

Kick&Snare pattern variation=1

Swing=60%

And maybe change the X/Y pad a bit.

Assessor,

Man, thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.. Only thing I did different was put the cymbal slide on 4 and it's perfect. Again, I can't thank you enough. Y'all rock!