Ultrabeat appreciation thread

Ploki

Ultrabeat is amazing. I love it. It has incredible synthesis engine + very flexible sampling engine.

It has plenty of feature, good filters, good modulation.

External samples can be saved with Logic project.

It's free.

It's unique, there's literally no sampler with the same subset of functionality on the market.

It's also ugly af right now, and i'm afraid Apple will deprecate it because of Drum Machine Designer, that's why i'm afraid to depend my workflow on it.

It's also ugly af right now, and i'm afraid Apple will deprecate it because of Drum Machine Designer, that's why i'm afraid to depend my workflow on it.

That's the big issue with Ultrabeat right now. Rather than reworking its interface Apple came up with yet another one of their numerous hacks that are starting to make Logic completely illogical with its highly inconsistent interface: choose a DMD patch and suddenly it's impossible to position the Library-pointing-triangle toward DrmMchn. What appears like an instrument plug-in is not one. Open it, and there's no plug-in header. No way to save DMD setting. You can save a patch, but not a setting. Can't enable Patch Merging on a DMD patch. Can save your chain of Audio FX Plug-ins but change the drum plug-in for another one. Unlike all other plug-ins, DMD isn't visible or accessible at all in the MIDI Environment. Etc etc....

I agree that resigning Ultrabeat instead would be infinitely wiser and more powerful. Make DMD available as a Smart Control pane for Ultrabeat! That's what it truly is, so why make it look like an instrument plug-in since it doesn't behave like one? Boggles the mind.

I use Ultrabeat in every single thing I do. I have Battery as well, but Ultrabeat more than justifies it's existence. Drum Machine Designer can die in a fire, there isn't a single thing I like about it and regret every trying in a few projects that now have so many useless channels full of plugs I need to delete.

A more straight forward interface would be nice, but I don't expect that.

i've been using new sonic arts' 'nuance' plugin for years for drums. just simpler, better interface (anyway, i',m used to it). but, if/when ultrabeat gets a reworking (and hopefully beyond a facelift), will revisit it.

I love nuance, so far its replaced Ultrabeat and battery for me. I just wish it had time stretch functionality which new sonic arts has said they are looking into.

Here also!! UB has everything, drum programmer grid, drum synth module, multi-timbral capabilities, drag and drop, crazy side-chain capabilities. Don’t really hate the GUI but I can understand the weirdness people say it has. Spaceship control deck-like shape, which kinda proves the Logic devs might be from another planet... but one more advanced than Earth. :D

Blink

I really hope Ultrabeat will be redesigned in 10.5. I hope the same for EXS 24. I'm afraid that with the time that this update takes to be made (I thought it would be available last year), Apple is in the process of integrate a clip launcher like Ableton Live, which already exists in Garageband iOS. That would explain why the update takes so long.