IAC MIDI Mess (Loopback in Logic) [Solved]

dysamoria
Go to solution Solved by dysamoria,

• Solution

Public service announcement!

Just in case anyone comes looking around here like I did...

If you're using Logic and the IAC MIDI driver to send MIDI from Logic to another app (maybe to control a WINE-hosted Windows VST synth, in my case), you will probably encounter problems with MIDI loopback. It may sound like insanely loud playback, with hung notes, insanely duplicated notes, crashing software, etc. This is because Logic is sending MIDI out to the IAC driver AND listening to the same port for incoming MIDI data.

The solution for me was to go to Logic's Preferences -> MIDI -> Inputs, and disable/uncheck the IAC MIDI ports in the list of MIDI Input ports.

I knew there must be a loopback, but didn't know where to find the settings or the specific causation. Then I stumbled onto it, remembering that Logic treats MIDI ports more globally than some other DAWs (I came from Cakewalk Sonar, years ago, where in/out MIDI ports were configured per track). Once I found the appropriate preference area, BAM, an hour of troubleshooting ended in a couple clicks.

Cool. We used to solve this by cabling the IAC port from the Physical Input object (MIDI Click and Ports layer of the MIDI Environment) into a dead end, for example a Monitor object, which would subtract it from the SUM input that is cabled into the Sequencer input: viewtopic.php?t=10161

Oh! Thanks for mentioning that. Is that a better method for any reason that I might benefit from?

Thanks for confirming the difference between these methods. It sounded like the difference was per project or global. In my current usage situation, global works well for me. I was just wondering if there’s a situation where that would be problematic and therefore maybe I ought to also get used to editing the environment objects for this. I don’t currently need to have Logic receive inter-app MIDI.