Logic devs: you have a safety problem

braindongle

Another "me too" here. Although in my case, it was several years ago when Soundtrack Pro was still a thing. If I remember correctly, I had then MOTU's original 828 as my audio device. There was a rather lively discussion at Apple's discussion forums at the time (with lots of similar experiences), but I think the real reason was never found. Nevertheless, the sound blasts (happened twice, I think) were one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

EDIT: just found the old thread I mentioned above: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2144002 . It was 10 years go.

Thank you Dewdman42 for sharing Ice9, just added it into my Logic template.

HeiLei

Edited by heilei

great for you! why are you wasting time polluting this thread with your inexperience in this area?

The issue I have here, is bugs in either LPX or CoreAudio. Sorry if this offends you, your comments here are helpful to no one. Just because you haven't experienced the noise blast of death yet, or you haven't read about it from other people, does not mean it isn't happening. It is actually happening, to mself and others, and there was a surge of postings on various different internet forums in the past few months related to this. This kind of problem could easily be related to a particular version of OSX or any number or things...very hard to diagnose and even harder to do anything about it...and trust me...if it does happen to you you will be wishing you had put ice9 on your master bus.

sorry, i thought this was a discussion, and i was allowed to participate. but if it's just an opportunity for you to rant, endlessly... go for it. ranting always works best with a supportive mob, so will stay off this thread, and you can enjoy yourself. :mrgreen:

I used to occasionally get this problem on my system but since 10.4.8 I'm getting it several times a day. As far as I remember, it hasn't happened with anything other than LPX but, to my great annoyance, I've had to stop cranking the bfm's at the end of each day, just in case - which is a real joy-killer.

Thank you for posting the link to Ice9 Dewdman. Much appreciated.

Schlomojorgensen, you always make me laugh out loud. I hope our paths cross one day.

• 4 months later...

Hmm

So white noise is still an unresolved issue under discussion. Very dangerous for musicians ears.

The white noise blast issue has been around a long time. And the workaround still appears to be using a limiter.

Threads from 10 years ago:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=52845&highlight=white+noise+overload

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66533&hilit=noise

It installs them into the standard place. Recent versions of OSX require you to logout and log back in, in order to recognize newly installed AU plugins. The VST plugin probably would show up in other hosts (not LogicPro).

Just log out and log back in, restart LogicPro, it should be there.

I had this problem once in a while, on os mavericks, using a RME fireface 800. I dont have many non-logic plugins installed, possibly just melodyne, i cant remember.

Never found a solution.

I am on high sierra now. Never had it happen.

I had this problem once in a while, on os mavericks, using a RME fireface 800. I dont have many non-logic plugins installed, possibly just melodyne, i cant remember.

Never found a solution.

I am on high sierra now. Never had it happen.

wonder if there's an issue with one of (or some of?) logic's own plugins? 97% of what i use is 3rd-party (including synths, effects) and have not experienced the problem. just a thought...

have had this happen a few times, but not enough to recall doing anything about it to fix it. I've been having connectivity issues with my scarlett 2i2 interface for a while now and just assumed that's what it was, but everyone is talking about their RME interfaces here and experiencing the same issue.

This happened to me when working with a simple Project, no plugins, one audio track. I loaded two separate audio files onto the track. Same bit sample and similar volume. Trimmed them to what I wanted and used glue tool to join the two audio files/regions into one file. Then off the scale white noise on playback. Distorted the coils in my quested monitors. That was about 10 years ago... From memory, I didn't pay attention to the new rendered audio file in the GUI, just hit play to hear the glued result.

After the mishap it was obvious from the GUI that there was something wrong - LOGIC had rendered a large block of white noise into the new file.

Just tried the same exact steps and LOGIC behaved... I get the message that audio files are non-contiguous and a new one will be made. It played back as per the cuts and glues I made.

I had a MOTU audio interface back then. Running a Pro-Tools Quartet now. However, I don't believe the audio interfaces make any difference, as I said, LOGIC had rendered the noise into the file...

• 1 year later...

It happens to me, too!

RME UFX+, iMac 2020, low CPU usage. Random, not reproducible, and scary!!

Can't mix with headphones until this problem is fixed.

Is ICE9 possible to get now? Might be the best solution as a workaround.

Twice this evening, during playback in a project with moderate system resource utilization (see image), Logic (10.4.8 on a 2018 MBP) output garbled noise at AN INSANELY LOUD +41 DB. The first screen capture of the main window shows this having happened at around 33 seconds. The second screen capture shows that during while repeating playback (both from the beginning) it did not happen.

Any thoughts, community? Bad acting third-party plugins is no answer. This should simply be impossible. Tympanic membranes and speakers will be destroyed.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 6.29.59 PM.png

Try using one of the available mastering settings included with Logic.

MasterSetting.png.df96c5cddc609eff14f2a69f2bea15ba.png

David, thanks for the Ice9 link. I downloaded, installed and tried it. It works exactly like a digital fuse, and you can adjust the threshold. Here`s similar product, with more features: https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod

Funny, main reason I ended up to Logic was that when using Bitwig - and only then - there were occasionally really annoying strong and sudden flashes in the display. After I started to use Logic in the same computer, flashes disappeared. But this problem with noise bursts, which I`ve never personally experienced, looks even more serious.

It seems that this is not so rare than some thought here, quote from VI Control forum:

"Recently Logic gifted me with a truly deafening and absolutely dangerous burst of noise. It did not happen like this before and I could not reproduce it afterwards. Not sure how it actually happened but that is rather irrelevant to the question of how can we protect ourselves from such things in general?

Does anyone know if there is an application out there that can monitor the computer's audio out ports for potentially harming noise and suppress it on detection?

Shouldn't a DAW have such a safety mechanism built in?

- - - update - - -

I found out where the noise burst came from. It was an instance of NI's grand piano The Grandeur. Some stacked clusters with sustain pedal enabled caused triggered Logic to go into a frenzy.

Last night I moved my production to my new Mac Pro (2019, 16 core, 224RAM) for the first time and low and behold, the same issue persisted there too (Catalina 10.15.6 vs Mojave on the Trashcan 10.4.6)

Thanks to the Ice9 plugin I was able to see it happen repeatedly without anything getting hurt. Once I tamed the piano cluster chords it was fine.

I wonder what is actually triggering Logic to create such noise. In a worst scenario, these piano clusters would result in a little bit of clipping, even though my levels are not even high enough for that. Something is weirs, but at least I was able to isolate and reproduce it.

So yes, it would be helpful for anyone to file a bug report with Apple (I did)."

...fwiw...I don't think Logic is alone with this issue, check the other DAW BB's and the same issue will show up, and in my personal experience the problem was always traceable back to some combination of 3rd party plugins. Sometimes it took awhile to figure it out, but that has been my conclusion. Not saying DAW's haven't had their problems, but it pays to look elsewhere as well...hth.../s~