Re: Studio Horns Articulation

ragingcortez
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi all. I've read a couple things on this but none seem to address the issue I'm having - which is probably down to my lack of understanding of what's what here

Basically I am trying to use studio horns but I don't want to use the default. It's too short, mostly - ends before I want it to.

However when I change the articulation, just experimenting mind you, nothing seems to happen. Sustain, expressive medium, staccato - it's all the same. And it only ever says "last played articulation - expressive medium" which is the default. So it seems like I'm changing it but no change is occurring. What am I missing?

Attack and auto vibrato seem to work but release doesn't affect the end of the note either.

Can anyone guide me on this subject? It seems crazy that you can't easily extend note length

Sounds like you're trying to change the articulation of notes that are already recorded? If that's the case then open the MIDI region in the Piano Roll, select the desired note(s), control-click a note and choose your articulation from the pop-up menu.

Thank you!

I have to say it's a little counter-intuitive how it's set up, but all's well that ends well

I have to say it's a little counter-intuitive how it's set up, but all's well that ends well

I can see how it may seem counter-intuitive, but there's a good reason for setting it up that way: the articulation data is actually embedded within the note itself. That means the articulation setting on the plug-in GUI isn't a playback mode for already recorded notes (they already have their own articulation that was determined when you recorded them), it's a setting that determines the articulation of the notes you're recording.

This allows for various notes of different articulations at the same time. For example let's say you just recorded some sustained notes and want to do a second pass, recording a few staccato notes on top of the sustained notes, you can do that because the articulation setting in the plug-in doesn't affect the notes you've already recorded, only the new ones you'll be recording now.

• 1 month later...

I can see how it may seem counter-intuitive, but there's a good reason for setting it up that way: the articulation data is actually embedded within the note itself. That means the articulation setting on the plug-in GUI isn't a playback mode for already recorded notes (they already have their own articulation that was determined when you recorded them), it's a setting that determines the articulation of the notes you're recording.

This allows for various notes of different articulations at the same time. For example let's say you just recorded some sustained notes and want to do a second pass, recording a few staccato notes on top of the sustained notes, you can do that because the articulation setting in the plug-in doesn't affect the notes you've already recorded, only the new ones you'll be recording now.

that does make sense!