Replacing regions?

3ple

Is there a way to replace regions in the arrangement window with another one(s) in the Bin?

Example: let's say I have a MIDI snare track with 10 hits. I bounce it and now I have a full audio region with 10 hits (let's call it "Snare 10 hits.wav")

If the hit is always the same, I would like to create a single sample file ("Snare Sample.wav") and then just have it play those 10 hits to save disk space.

Instead of doing it manually, I would create transient markers and have Logic split that "Snare 10 hits.wav" file into individual regions.

Then, I would tell Logic to replace all those 10 new regions with "Snare Sample.wav", making me save disk space, because it's only using a single sample.

Yes, I know that using MIDI is what I'm looking for, but my workflow includes getting rid of all MIDI and just work with audio at a certain point. I rather work with audio when I'm about to finish the song.

Hope it makes sense and someone can tell me if there's a way to do this, other than manually.

I'm asking this, because if I have a huge project with kicks, snares, toms, etc, we are talking about hundreds or thousands of steps I would need to take if I would go the manual path...

am sure someone more knowledgeable here will have an idea, but... how much space do you need to save? what about working off a (large) external drive for your projects?

just seems it would simplify your workflow profoundly if you just used the bounces you made, instead of trying to shorten every bounce in degrees. personally, i'd rather spend time making music than jumping thru all those hoops.

but just my thoughts, of course.

am sure someone more knowledgeable here will have an idea, but... how much space do you need to save? what about working off a (large) external drive for your projects?

just seems it would simplify your workflow profoundly if you just used the bounces you made, instead of trying to shorten every bounce in degrees. personally, i'd rather spend time making music than jumping thru all those hoops.

but just my thoughts, of course.

It's not a specific amount of space. It's just to save space in general.

Since I want to have everything as audio, if I have a kick audio region that lasts for 3 min, it takes way more space than having a 50kb audio file that repeats 100 times in those 3 min :)

Working with external disks is not an option for me. I like to have everything in one single place. Each of my songs are usually around 1GB, so that's not a big issue, the external vs internal drive. It's really just something that I thought about, if there was a feature like that. Think of it like the Drum Replacement but reversed, kinda. Instead of replacing audio with MIDI, it would let us pick an audio sample and it would align with whatever transient markers we had.

If you think about it, it's not a big deal. Not a lot of work. Once you open the region and pick the transients (which most of the time is pretty accurate) all you would need is to have a window that would let you do that. Simple

This isn't an exact solution to your problem, but when I recorded my first album it all had to fit on to a 2 gig scsi drive. (which cost $700!!!!) The way I saved space on repeating parts would be to have the same audio file on two identical tracks and just place the regions in the correct spot. I never had to worry about cross fades this way. Or If necessary have a 1st part, a middle part and the final part depending on overlapping notes and the like.

For drums and other parts with space between the notes you can use the Strip Silence feature.

This isn't an exact solution to your problem, but when I recorded my first album it all had to fit on to a 2 gig scsi drive. (which cost $700!!!!) The way I saved space on repeating parts would be to have the same audio file on two identical tracks and just place the regions in the correct spot. I never had to worry about cross fades this way. Or If necessary have a 1st part, a middle part and the final part depending on overlapping notes and the like.

For drums and other parts with space between the notes you can use the Strip Silence feature.

Yes, doing it manually can be done, but if you have 300 snare hits that are exactly the same (mostly in electronic music, for example), it's time consuming.

Also the Strip Silence doesn't do what I want to do, because that is also creating a long file, but just removing some empty space. The difference wouldn't be huge in the end.

I guess this can't be done without doing it manually, so it's ok. I can live with it :P

one thing i used to do on my macbook pro (come to think of it, i still do this with my imac)... archive finished or older projects to an external drive.

when i ran logic on the macbook, i always worked without an external drive(so i could travel with just the laptop, a cme xkey, headphones, and an apogee groove... good times!).

i keep a lot of open space on my imac; finished projects are moved to another drive, and there's always lots of room for new projects.

one thing i used to do on my macbook pro (come to think of it, i still do this with my imac)... archive finished or older projects to an external drive.

when i ran logic on the macbook, i always worked without an external drive(so i could travel with just the laptop, a cme xkey, headphones, and an apogee groove... good times!).

i keep a lot of open space on my imac; finished projects are moved to another drive, and there's always lots of room for new projects.

As I mentioned, I always keep everything on the same place, for different reasons:

1 - If I want to travel, I don't have to travel with extra hard-drives. Let's say I want to revisit an old project while not in the studio. I would have to travel with that extra drive, which is not an option for me

2 - I have 2 backups of everything on my computer so I have 3 hard drives: the main one on my laptop with everything, 2 external hard drives for backup. That being said, I would have to travel with the external hard drive with the archived projects and another one for backups (unless I would buy a bigger drive, which is not necessary, for the time being, at least).

Archiving not always reduce the size that justifies the hassle of zipping a 1GB worth of files and then unzipping it when I need it.

My wish was that Apple could offer this kind of feature to make it simpler, in a way. Since it doesn't, I will have to live with it, as is. Not a huge issue :)

i had a (mini) sd card, with a card holder, that kept it flush with the macbook's edge... with 200gb, plugged into my macbook pro; so that was always there; a great place to store archived projects you might want to revisit.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=macbook+pro+sd+card+adapter+flush&crid=2FARC34PPKJFX&sprefix=macbook+pro+sd+card%2Caps%2C149&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_19

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=mini+sd+card+512gb&crid=196WNM4YAVL2H&sprefix=mini+sd+card%2Caps%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_9_12

you could also use a large-capacity flashdrive (i always have one around my neck...)

i had a (mini) sd card, with a card holder, that kept it flush with the macbook's edge... with 200gb, plugged into my macbook pro; so that was always there; a great place to store archived projects you might want to revisit.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=macbook+pro+sd+card+adapter+flush&crid=2FARC34PPKJFX&sprefix=macbook+pro+sd+card%2Caps%2C149&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_19

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=mini+sd+card+512gb&crid=196WNM4YAVL2H&sprefix=mini+sd+card%2Caps%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_9_12

you could also use a large-capacity flashdrive (i always have one around my neck...)

It still amazes me how memory is getting smaller and smaller in size and yet bigger and bigger in capacity... damn!

Back to the subject, my "issue" is really with the feature itself. For example, a few days ago I was struggling with space on a project and that feature would help me deal with it. Now that I solved it, I'm back at 150GB of free space, which is a lot. As I said, my projects are usually 1GB so there's a lot of music I can still make, plus all the stuff I know I have that is taking space that I will eventually delete (old photos, videos, music, etc)

And well, I have 1TB internal disk and if anything, I can always buy a new/bigger one in the future and also sell the external HD and buy bigger ones as well. ;)

as always... whatever works. but i used to keep a lot of projects (already backed up elsewhere) on the sd card, and just moved one to the internal drive if i wanted to work on it.

something like idrive (online backup, which i use) is incredibly useful too. i remember being far from home, and unable to find a file... and downloading it from my online backup, and then getting back to work.

as always... whatever works. but i used to keep a lot of projects (already backed up elsewhere) on the sd card, and just moved one to the internal drive if i wanted to work on it.

something like idrive (online backup, which i use) is incredibly useful too. i remember being far from home, and unable to find a file... and downloading it from my online backup, and then getting back to work.

If I have everything on my laptop, then I won't need to carry an extra card or HD, that's my point. Having extra SD cards, then when they are full, buy new ones... we are back to the DVD era where you would have 50 DVDs with backups? Nope, not for me haha

I rather buy a 2TB disk, sell the old one, sell my old backups drives and buy 2TB drives as well.

I'm a minimalist kind of guy, I guess you know that already ;) The less stuff I have (and that goes back to the old thread of me loving using stock plugins instead of third-party stuff), the better. At least for me, that's what works. It helps me focus more on fewer things and make less decisions. That is how I work with everything, not just music.

When it comes to storage, I like having 1 disk with everything, I know where everything is, so I don't have to go back and forth between 2 or more storage places (either external drives, cloud services - which I'm really not a big fan of for many reasons).

But yeah, Logic doesn't offer that feature, no big deal. I can live with that.