Combining three midi instrument into one selectable object that you can just click on to start playing

esaruoho

Am using Multi-Instrument objects in the Environment, and all 16 channels, to boot.

Since Logic Pro X has all these fancy ways of stacking AudioUnit instrument tracks and just clicking on a stack like that to play notes through all the tracks inside the stack, am wondering, is there no way to click on an object in the arranger and be able to play 3 or 5 or 6 (or more) midi-channels, without having to use R to arm the tracks for recording?

I tried Create Track Stack but that's just a "group", I can't select the group and then play the instruments inside.

Do I really have to create, say a Monitor object in the Environment, hook that up to 3 or 4 or more new Midi Instrument objects, and then add the Monitor object into the Arrangement View and then send midinotes to that, in order to trigger all of the selected channels?

Am using Multi-Instrument objects in the Environment, and all 16 channels, to boot.

I tried Create Track Stack but that's just a "group", I can't select the group and then play the instruments inside.

Yes this should work. Make sure to create a summing stack. Put two tracks inside the stack with instruments on each. Select the track header for the track stack and play your keyboard...all the instruments will make sound. You can record midi to that tracks tack track, also.

Otherwise, there is always the environment. You don't necessarily need to use a multi-instrument for stacking instruments. Just cable up some channel strips with a single instrument object ahead of it. Multi-instruments are really more about setting up multi-timbral scenarios.

Make sure to create a summing stack. Put two tracks inside the stack with instruments on each. Select the track header for the track stack and play your keyboard...all the instruments will make sound. You can record midi to that track stack track, also.

Otherwise, there is always the environment. You don't necessarily need to use a multi-instrument for stacking instruments. Just cable up some channel strips with a single instrument object ahead of it. Multi-instruments are really more about setting up multi-timbral scenarios.

But the thing is, there can be no Summing Stack with Environment Midi Instruments. Only Folder Stack is enabled, Summing Stack disabled. Unfortunately.

If you want to speed up the process create an environment page of commonly used objects/groups of objects/macros that could can just cut and paste them as needed. I have it as part of my standard template.

Yeah, I think I'm going to spend some time fiddling with the Environment and create "a couple of things" relating to this.

And another object / routing for creating +1 +2 -1 -2 octave midi-pitch-shifting so that can output C3 to a device and it becomes C4 on CH2 and maybe C5 on CH3 and stays C3 for CH1. This kind of stuff. And an octave doubler too.

I'll have to get cracking at this! :) Thanks for the ideas.