How do I make curved automation for sustain? cc64.

millerme

I'm working with a disklavier piano that continuous MIDI sustain information must be transmitted and received from. CC64 (sustain) controls how far on the grand piano the pedal is pressed physically. It's not just an on and off message.

Logic doesn't seem to allow making automation curves for sustain, and snaps sustain to either on or off. How do I change this to work like any other automation channel such as modulation?

If unable to do this, how do I remap cc63 to cc64 so I can draw curves and edit automation correctly?

Not at the studio presently to verify same...

Have you tried editing with the automation curve tool?

To remap cc64 to cc63 and vice-versa (in realtime) I would try using a Transformer object (although a regular Fader object could act as such) in the Environment. Probably that would require using same (Transformers or Faders), both at the input (connected between the Physical input and the Sequencer input objects) and at the output (before the Standard instrument or Multi instrument object) assigned to feed your diskclavier.

Edited by Atlas007

• 2 weeks later...

To remap cc64 to cc63 and vice-versa (in realtime) I would try using a Transformer object (although a regular Fader object could act as such) in the Environment. Probably that would require using same (Transformers or Faders), both at the input (connected between the Physical input and the Sequencer input objects) and at the output (before the Standard instrument or Multi instrument object) assigned to feed your diskclavier.

Thanks for the answer. I'd love to be able to use the automation curve tool, but it's disabled for cc64 due to logic.

I'll try to get the MIDI environment to transform in real time CC63 to CC64. What I really need to get setup is so that any incoming MIDI sustain data is recorded as CC63, then sent as CC64 if routed to the disklavier. Thanks for the help.

1. In the Piano Roll editor, create your CC63 curves.

2. Open the Step Editor, select the CC63 lane and choose Lanes > Convert Lane.

3. In the "to" parameters at the bottom set Number to 64=Sustain.

4. Click the Convert button.

cc64-curves.png

Thank you! Trying to make a more permanent solution for this setup though. Any incoming MIDI sustain info should be recorded as CC63 for editing, then sent as CC64 to the disklavier.

Trying to find the best way to tackle this. Usually the MIDI is recorded from a software instrument, and then regions are moved to the external MIDI track. So when on the software instrument track the sustain also needs to be recorded as CC63 for half pedaling (the sustain pedal on the keyboard sends information based on how much it is pressed, so half pedaling is enabled), but transferred to CC64 before being sent to whatever virtual instrument. Hopefully we can get this setup so that it can transition well between the software instrument, then being moved to the external MIDI track.

Could you run me through how to convert incoming MIDI sustain data to the sequencer to CC63, then out of the sequencer as CC64? I'm not super familiar with the MIDI Environment.

Not every software instrument respond to half pedaling...

I understand that. The instruments we use responds to that though.

For a particular software instrument and the disklavier, I need to do the following.

MIDI Input -> Transform CC64 to CC63 -> Sequencer Input -> Sequencer Output -> Transform CC63 to CC64 -> Input of Software Instrument or Disklavier.

How can I set this up in the MIDI Environment?

For the most part, your diagram reflects how to cable/connect the various elements, which I translated in the "=" URLed Environment's equivalent ones.

The only part that differs from your diagram is at the (Sequencer) output that I set in parenthesis. To route the recorded MIDI out of Logic to the Disklavier or Software Instrument (providing the latter is the independant version from Logic), you would have to create in the Environment the Standard (or Multi-)instrument object prior to reassign the track to (that Standard (or Multi-)instrument object)...

MIDI Input = Physical input object -> Transform CC64 to CC63 = Transformer object -> Sequencer Input = Sequencer input object -> (Sequencer Output = assign or reassign a track to the Standard instrument or Multi-instrument->) Transform CC63 to CC64 = Transformer object -> Input of Software Instrument or Disklavier = Standard instrument or Multi-instrument object