Audio region gain suggestion

3ple

What do you guys think of a feature that allows us to increase/decrease the gain of an audio region, the same way we add a fade in/out?

Maybe pressing a key while at the top/bottom edge of the region to make it more obvious that we are about to change the gain, for example Shift or Alt/Option.

Here's 2 images. Let me know if this would be useful for you. I will send Apple this suggestion. I see myself doing this over and over again and going to the inspector is a bit of time consuming.

increasing-gain.jpg.f17eea8cafa06edb6b96ca5a5ce0b5ea.jpg

decreasing-gain.jpg.4edfaa8535e7910acbf80e6327fa684c.jpg

It’s more clunky than that but you can use region gain in the inspector to accomplish the same task.

He did mention that doing just that is a bit time consuming.

I do think that this way of doing it just feels simpler than selecting, going to the inspector, altering by clickdragging, then deselecting and selecting the next region, etc. It feels like a more "flowing" way of doing it, and to implement it shouldn't be too hard. Also, it would be "typical Logic Pro" to have an alternative way of changing region gain. I think it is a sensible and valuable suggestion, where the inspector would obviously be coupled to it to act as a visual confirmation.

It’s more clunky than that but you can use region gain in the inspector to accomplish the same task.

He did mention that doing just that is a bit time consuming.

I do think that this way of doing it just feels simpler than selecting, going to the inspector, altering by clickdragging, then deselecting and selecting the next region, etc. It feels like a more "flowing" way of doing it, and to implement it shouldn't be too hard. Also, it would be "typical Logic Pro" to have an alternative way of changing region gain. I think it is a sensible and valuable suggestion, where the inspector would obviously be coupled to it to act as a visual confirmation.

Yes, I can see the Inspector being useful as well, when selecting several regions and changing the gain on all of them, as it is now. It's not a "one or the other" situation, for sure. :)

I hope they add it. It would save so much time

Yes, this is what I would like to avoid, because it's time consuming, as I mentioned. I've been using the Inspector, but it just feels "unnatural" to go back and forth.

You can use the inspector to add fade ins/outs as well, but Apple added that (super useful) feature where you can just click and drag in the region itself. Wish they could do it for gain as well ;)

What do you guys think of a feature that allows us to increase/decrease the gain of an audio region, the same way we add a fade in/out?

+1

While they are at it, allowing the gain to be applied to marquee'd segments would be helpful to do surgical gain editing without having to break it into sub-regions & re-join (though I could imagine their internal region data structures might make that impractical for non-destructive gain edits).

Did you check out the function "Normalize Region Gain..." under the funtion-menu? It tries to normalize the region gain in all your selected regions. I don't use it often, but have used it.

All the best,

jan

Yes, I use it once in a while.

But it doesn't do what I'm suggesting here. The goal is not to normalize, but to adjust the gain manually without going to the Inspector.

I find myself changing the gain quite often. Maybe a region needs 2dB more, then next one maybe 5dB or maybe increase one, while decreasing the other.

+1

While they are at it, allowing the gain to be applied to marquee'd segments would be helpful to do surgical gain editing without having to break it into sub-regions & re-join (though I could imagine their internal region data structures might make that impractical for non-destructive gain edits).

I can see that as an option as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I had that thought before as well.

I think it would probably be a bit more tricky to implement that, though, compared to applying it to separate regions...

If they could at least include the feature I suggest, that would already be a great thing for my workflow, for sure :)

Yes, I use it once in a while.

But it doesn't do what I'm suggesting here. The goal is not to normalize, but to adjust the gain manually without going to the Inspector.

I find myself changing the gain quite often. Maybe a region needs 2dB more, then next one maybe 5dB or maybe increase one, while decreasing the other.

Right. And I'm with you on this one: I would love to be able to adjust region gain more easily.

You guys are aware of this thread, yes ?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128703

I wasn't, but this sounds more like a headache than just selecting the region and using the Inspector :P

Too much stuff to be aware of, like "you have to have the Inspector open and the control bar open, etc...

You also need an extra app (which is not free, but also needs to be running, along with the Apple Script).

For such a simple task like changing the gain, I rather just do it manually and wait for Apple to maybe add this feature.

Thanks for sharing though. I will check the app that was mentioned, maybe for other tasks ;)

There are simpler ways to change gain in the inspector!

Select a region. Double click on the Gain: parameter. Press return - nothing changes, except that 'Gain' is the last parameter modified.

Now you can use '=' and 'shift-=' to increase gain...'-' and 'shift-minus' to decrease gain. As long as you don't modify any of the other inspector parameters the 'last-modified' remains true, so you can select a different region or track and have the increment/decrement keys work...

The other thread (using scripts) is too fussy for me. I just select the gain in the inspector and use keyboard commands as desired.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=8%26section=0

There are simpler ways to change gain in the inspector!

Select a region. Double click on the Gain: parameter. Press return - nothing changes, except that 'Gain' is the last parameter modified.

Now you can use '=' and 'shift-=' to increase gain...'-' and 'shift-minus' to decrease gain. As long as you don't modify any of the other inspector parameters the 'last-modified' remains true, so you can select a different region or track and have the increment/decrement keys work...

The other thread (using scripts) is too fussy for me. I just select the gain in the inspector and use keyboard commands as desired.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=8%26section=0

Thanks for the new approach :)

This thread was not so much focused on workarounds, because there's always some, but more about a new feature that Apple could apply.

My suggestion not only changes the gain, but lets you see the amount in real time and also has a visual cue, so when a region has some gain changes, you could see them ;)

Regarding your suggestion: instead of double clicking and hitting return, you can simply click the field for the value while holding ALT/OPTION (this is usually to reset the value). Of course, if you have a value already, this would reset and in that case it's better if you use your technique, but if you don't, then you save some clicks by using mine ;)

this sounds more like a headache than just selecting the region and using the Inspector

Since this actually is a feature request (which I totally subscribe to) and not so much a workaround list, I'll just add this last bit and be done with it:

Of course it makes no sense to 'buy an app, get an Applescript working and make sure that the Inspector is shown' when you can just point to the Inspector and click-drag and continue doing so every once in a while, if at all.

However, if you're dealing with 100s or 1000s of Regions on a regular basis, factors like mouse (and eye) travel between the Region and the Inspector (especially on a screen larger than 13") or mouse accuracy vs mouse speed begin to add up dramatically and things look different. Like, drastically different. This, and I don't have the patience to wait for Apple to figure out whether that's a thing worth doing.