Logic Pro X has stopped unexpectedly. (many times when start project)

itssofly

Logic Pro X has stopped unexpectedly. Many times when I start the project it crash when loading audio. Occasionally it is possible to open the project, when the project is open there is no problem anymore. And it is a project that I am currently working on (no deadline has been set but I would like to finish it)

It is a big project with more then 200 tracks and manny plug-ins. Once Logic is started, it is no further problem, no delay, it does not crash during the project. I now try to open more than 5 times and nothing happens. So far I know all the plug-ins are up to date.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of this problem?

Edited by itssofly

16GB of ram with such a big project size often mean your HD is used as virtual/paging ram to compensate.

Depending of the HD(s) performance(s) and remaining available space(s), you can expect encountering such issues.

Besides managing the ram resource by decreasing its solicitation, if the remaining HD space is less than 10~15% of its total useful space, one should consider upgrading or adding another HD to supply enough resource to a system's intense activity...

To circumvent same, you could increase your ram and/or use a bigger and better HD. In the latter case, SD are to be preferred to mechanical one, even if external one. Connection type also matter significantly USB3 or Thunderbolt are also preferable.

AFAIK, freezing will be mostly useful to lighten the realtime cpu resource demands in intense DSP projects. Also the freezing mode option choice could make a significant difference into its effectiveness.

Besides, any demo plugin?

Have you tried rebooting Logic in safe mode?

When was the last time you cold rebooted your Mac?

Have you tried SMC & NVRAM/PRAM resetting?

AFAIK, freezing will be mostly useful to lighten the realtime cpu resource demands in intense DSP projects. Also the freezing mode option choice could make a significant difference into its effectiveness.

Besides, any demo plugin?

Have you tried rebooting Logic in safe mode?

When was the last time you cold rebooted your Mac?

Have you tried SMC & NVRAM/PRAM resetting?

I have removed a few plugins that were no longer in use and restarted my mac. It still happens.

The Rebooting Logic in safe mode, thanks for the info I didn't know about that. And I also never tried to reset the SMC & NVRM/PRAM. Is that safe?

AFAIK, having done same many times on both my Mac Book and Mac Pro, it is safe to perform SMC & NVRAM/PRAM reset. It is actually recommended when encountering certain hardware related issues.

Thanks!!

It is a big project with more then 200 tracks and manny plug-ins.

More midi than audio tracks? How many approx?

Lots of 3rd party samplers like Kontakt?

About 170 audio tracks and 40 midi tracks. Some with many effect plug-ins.

No Kontakt, but Vst-plugins like Serum, Spire, Drumazon. One Virus TI 2.

Logic doesn't use VST, but Audio Units.

VST is the plugin format for Cubase and many PC audio programs.

But you are using 3rd party plugins. That was my question.

When you play the project, what does the CPU and I/O meter say. Is any of those peaking?

Logic doesn't use VST, but Audio Units.

VST is the plugin format for Cubase and many PC audio programs.

But you are using 3rd party plugins. That was my question.

When you play the project, what does the CPU and I/O meter say. Is any of those peaking?

Sorry! I mean Audio Units, it's an old habit from when I still had windows.

It's peaking I add an screenshot.

1750742146_Schermafbeelding2020-01-22om16_34_401.png.ff425373515dcc6012abfc1e28202319.png

You're definitely pushing the computer, but it doesn't look maxed out.

To understand your issue, you're having problems loading this project?

Yes problems with loading this project. I deleted couple audio and midi tracks today. Now it looks stable with starting up and loading my project. Hope it stays good now. But then I still have to mixing my song with probably more plugins and a bigger project again, what maybe can causing problems again.

Try to merge audio files to reduce the amount of regions.

Try to reduce your Undo Steps in Logic's preferences to reduce the memory footprint of the project.

Get rid of unused tracks.

I have now 188 Tracks in total and merge audio files and delete unused. Also deleted the undo steps, and it loads now my project perfect :D

I have noticed that sometimes it gives a pop-up with:

System Overload.

The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time.

You can try increasing the I/O buffer size, change the Multithreading option at Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices.

But no further problems. Project is also running smoothly, also with those reports.

Nice to hear it got better.

If you're getting system overloads, increase the buffer and change the multithreading option to Playback.

Only problem with buffer range is i'm forced by this message to do SMALL:

Virus TI has discovered a setup problem. Please change the following preference in Logic to SMALL

Preference > Audio > Device > Process Buffer Range

I had this first on SMALL because on this message, but disabled today so I got this message again. Normal I have the process buffer range on medium.

I had an issue until a recent update (not sure which) that if I tried to use the opening dialogue box it would crash. The only thing that worked was to choose the ‘do nothing’ option when logic opens. And then load projects from the recent projects list or by navigating to folder to open.

Checked the other day and using the dialogue box works again. Not sure if it was a widespread bug or isolated incident but try that.