Buy a new computer without Catalina?

kerochan

I need a new computer, would it be best to buy it from the Apple store and suffer Catalina until the OS problems are solved?

Or

Buy it new from this place, they can install High Sierra or later.

https://www.macstoreuk.com/product/apple-imac-pro-5k-3-2ghz-8-core-32gb-ram-1tb-ssd-radeon-pro-vega-56-8gb/

In the meantime I am using a 2015 Macbook Pro for Logic etc, which I can carry on using whilst installing whatever on to the new computer.

europe consumer law grants you 14 days no-question-asked return policy when you buy new.

buy, install, test, if it doesnt work, return and look for alternatives.

i wouldn't run a T2 mac (the one you linked) with High Sierra, a lot of bugs were fixed in late mojave and catalina re: t2.

plug in your time machine drive, and migrate over everything you want (ie apps, user files, settings, etc). remember, if you're on catalina, that 32bit apps will no longer work...

Cheers Fisherking

I am now looking at a 2019 iMac, high spec, no T2 chip, and comes with Sierra if I want, any thoughts?

https://www.macstoreuk.com/product/apple-imac-27-2019-3-6ghz-i9-8-core-32gb-ram-1tb-flash-ssd-radeon-pro-570x-4gb/

i don't think sierra can be installed on a 2019 mac. think it would need mojave, mimimum (and if i'm wrong, someone correct me). sierra is from 2016.

also, why does it say "grade: modified", then later, "condition: new"? is it just because of the customized specs? (hmmm that's probably it). just confirm the OS it comes with, or can actually come with...

EDIT: and get applecare; 3 years of hardware/software support, well worth it.

I am so paranoid.

wouldnt it just be safer to get the new Mac form the place that can install High Sierra?

If you're paranoid then walk the Apple line as they want you to walk it and you should be much safer, after all my years with Apple any severe problems have only come to me when i've sought a different route or not done as per their recommends.

I can't think of any instance where i've put blind faith in them and it's cost me downtime. YMMV of course, but i'm a strong beleiver that with Apple you're best to go with the flow longterm - i'm not sure how reliable these machines are from companies who refurb and put older O/S's on macs where it's not supported, i guess there's a market there.

I am now looking at a 2019 iMac, high spec, no T2 chip, and comes with Sierra if I want, any thoughts?

You can't put an earlier OS other than the one it came with. If they claim they can do that, I'd be suspicious of the results besides the fact that it can't be done.

This iMac came originally with Mojave, so I would stick with Mojave if you're afraid of Catalina.

I'm running the latest Mojave on a 2009 Mac Pro!

I am so paranoid.

wouldnt it just be safer to get the new Mac form the place that can install High Sierra?

If you're paranoid then walk the Apple line as they want you to walk it and you should be much safer, after all my years with Apple any severe problems have only come to me when i've sought a different route or not done as per their recommends.

I can't think of any instance where i've put blind faith in them and it's cost me downtime. YMMV of course, but i'm a strong beleiver that with Apple you're best to go with the flow longterm - i'm not sure how reliable these machines are from companies who refurb and put older O/S's on macs where it's not supported, i guess there's a market there.

I agree with you ski,

I have always bought from Apple direct, never been a problem. Thanks for that.

plug in your time machine drive, and migrate over everything you want (ie apps, user files, settings, etc). remember, if you're on catalina, that 32bit apps will no longer work...

Thanks for this discussion guys. May I chime in to ask one additional thing related to this? I'm too considering replacing my current 2014 MBP (very happily running Sierra, yes, I know...) to a brand new MBP that'll run Catalina. Regarding TimeMachine, everything on my setup currently relies on HFS+ technology, while I know that one of the OS (I guess that was High Sierra) introduced APFS (and forced the shift). So same question of Kerochan, with a little addition: When I buy my new MBP and migrate everything to it, can I simply plugin my (HFS+) TimeMachine drive to do the migration and, if the answer is yes, doesthe fact that Catalina will have everything APFS on my internal SSD drive risk scrambling anything on my TimeMachine drive? In orther words, if I plug an HFS+ drive to a Mac running Catalina, will Catalina enable reading / writing data on that drive while keeping it HFS+, or will it force changing that drive's file system to APFS and, if so, do I risk loosing anything in the process?

Good question Arnaud!

The worst case scenario I guess we just have to reinstall everything on to the new computer.

Best If you can keep your current computer whist sorting out you new one, the transition period might take some time.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I think I am now leaning towards a maxed out 2019 iMac direct from Apple, as it doesn't have the T2 Chip.

if I plug an HFS+ drive to a Mac running Catalina, will Catalina enable reading / writing data on that drive while keeping it HFS+, or will it force changing that drive's file system to APFS and, if so, do I risk loosing anything in the process?

Nothing will happen to the Time Machine drive.

The new computer will just copy the information it needs.

if I plug an HFS+ drive to a Mac running Catalina, will Catalina enable reading / writing data on that drive while keeping it HFS+, or will it force changing that drive's file system to APFS and, if so, do I risk loosing anything in the process?

Nothing will happen to the Time Machine drive.

The new computer will just copy the information it needs.

this. migrating to your new mac from time machine is a read-only experience. and you can continue to use external drives that are HFS+; you'd be writing data to those drives, not replacing the drive's format (all my externals are still HFS+).

Guys, (Triplets, Fisherking, Ploki), thanks for sharing your experience and answering my question, that's very helpful (and comforting) :) Kerochan, when I make the move (not instantly by all means, I have a few projects in progress at the moment), I'll sure keep all of you guys posted. The other thing that worries me a little is that, neither iZotope (some key plugins I'm using), nor NI (my master keyboard and a couple of additional plugins) appear to have any clear cut statement regarding Catalina (even NI's "all current products OK" isn't clear cut, as my keyboard is mkI and the current one is mkII, for instance...) But reading on this forum, it seems things are okay in that field.

Thanks Fisherking! Btw, I don't plan to install plugins, I already have them on my current system and expect to port them to the new one when I restore my whole user account using TimeMachine. So it's good to know they run fine on Catalina :) And thanks for your comment re Massive X, in my case I use Komplete Kontrol, I guess I'll see what happens :)