Horizontal scrolling slow

question

I did a search and have not been able to find an answer to my question.

I have a Logitech mouse with a scroll wheel and am using OS 10.12.6.

I suddenly began having a problem with the global "horizontal scroll" function on my mac.

This is not a Logic problem, it is a global problem in all apps, that is slowing my Logic workflow.

I tested the funtion in a Logic 9 version and it has the same problem.

In Logic the vertical and horizontal scroll speeds used to be identical, now when using "scroll wheel and shift" as is the apple default, the horizontal speed is roughly 10% of the vertical speed. It does work, just slower.

I have read other users having the same problem, but still no solution.

I have tried all variables in the system preferences as well as the accessability settings. I have also tried installing the Logitech sotware, which allow you to assign the various mouse buttons and wheels, but it was no help.

What is really myserious is that I have not updated any hard or software.

Anyone have an idea!

Thanks!

Edited by question

Thanks for the tip Atlas,

I tried resetting the PRAM, no change.

Just to be clear; the vertical scroll works fine, the horizontal scroll (adding shift when srolling with the scroll wheel) also works but at about 1 tenth of the speed.

I am pretty sure that I can rule out the mouse as the problem, as the modifier for vertical scroll is just adding shift on the computer keyboard.

I need to try another mouse just to be sure.

This horizontal scroll is so integral to my workflow that, although there are many work-arounds, I find myself being often annoyed.

Any other ideas?

The tower is the last generation 12 core mac.

The mouse is Logitech wireless to a USB dongle receiver; I don't know what the wireless protocoll is from the mouse to the USB.

I tried another mouse on the tower and it works, but only after starting the computer then disconnecting/reconnecting the (cable) mouse.

Also, when starting up the mac, the mac doesn't recogognize the my USB dongle until I unplug/re-plug it. This is a recent problem that I am pretty sure is related.

This happens wheather the dongle is plugged into the computer or on the computer keyboard's USB connection

I suspect that there is something going on with the USB upon startup. I read that upon startup that the mac "looks" at what mouse is connected and sets its parameters based on what is connected.

Maybe there is a voltage issue with the USB ports? How can I measure the USB voltage on startup?

So basically you're doing bluetooth over USB, which on the old towers was very flaky.

Even the native bluetooth, which is 2.0 on those towers, is weak, especially with 3rd party mice.

Have you tried the Magic Mouse 2?

I use it on the same machine as yours and it's great. I actually upgraded the Airport/Bluetooth card to 4.2 so I can do Airdrop with my phone.

Triplets,

thanks for the response. I have not tried the Magic Mouse 2, I will have a look.

This Machine and mouse have worked reliably for years, so I don't think it is related to the mouse itself. The mouse also works correctly on my laptop.

After I finish my current job, I will update the OS (Still on 10.12) and Logic to see if anything improves.

If anyone can think of another possible cause of this problem, let me know.

• 2 months later...

Im having the exact same thing happening! I'm on a 2018 MacBook pro with Logic 10.4.8

I just upgraded to Catalina since my U/A Apollo was finally compatible. Has been screwy since. Its driving me bananas! Has anyone found anything to fix this problem?

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks

-Taime