Environment Input Object vs AUX

mkruse

I'm using software monitoring, as my mic is USB and my gate/compressor is in Logic.

1. What are your thoughts for processing processing Voice Over on input with a gate and compressor using the Environment's Input Object rather than an AUX. Is one better than the other?

2. Is it possible to turn monitoring off on the Input Object. That way audio is still passed to the track and monitoring can be turned on or off when needed for the processed output.

I strongly advise against using pretty much any processing (more on that later) on either Input or Aux (if that happens to be the path to the recording track).

If the Gate is set too high, you'll ruin the take. And either way you set it up, you will get lots (and I mean *LOTS*) of breaths cut into in the middle which will force you to edit every single one later. And what's the point, really ? You'll be editing the recording later anyway, so why set yourself up for trouble ?

If the Compressor is set wrong, you'll ruin the take. All of them, actually. So you'll have to re-record everything.

You can pull all your stunts directly on the recording track and this is post recording, so if the settings are wrong, no big deal, it's recorded clean and you can readjust later.

The one single exception is putting a hi-pass filter with sensible settings (like, 100 Hz tops) in the Input and record that, because if you happen to record low end or even infrasonic rumble, it is near impossible to edit later without an abundance of fades. But even that can be dealt with afterwards.

The Input diagram in the link is incorrect insofar as there in no input selector on an Input strip, because it is the actual input.

- If you put plugins into an Input object, they will be recorded on any track that uses this input. They also will be audible in any Aux that uses this input.

- The fader, mute and routing of an Input object are independent of any Track or Aux that uses this input.

can the signal be muted but still passed and monitored on the track

If you read that loud, it makes no sense. If you read it quiet, it doesn't either.

The Input diagram in the link is incorrect insofar as there in no input selector on an Input strip, because it is the actual input.

- If you put plugins into an Input object, they will be recorded on any track that uses this input. They also will be audible in any Aux that uses this input.

- The fader, mute and routing of an Input object are independent of any Track or Aux that uses this input.

can the signal be muted but still passed and monitored on the track

If you read that loud, it makes no sense. If you read it quiet, it doesn't either.

You know how you can set a bus to pre fader? That way you can bring the fader down and not hear the audio on the original track, but still be passing it through the bus to another track/aux? That's what I mean, except for the input object. I'm not sure if using an input object and then also monitoring on a track doubles the signal you hear going out to the speakers. Hence I am asking if the input objects audio can be passed through to the track but not the speakers. That's all. I'm probably confusing it but I need to confirm with others to understand why it does or doesn't make sense. Stating that it doesn't, does not help clear anything up for me.

I am asking if the input objects audio can be passed through to the track but not the speakers.

That's the normal behaviour unless you start tinkering with input objects.

As I said, the fader, mute and output selector on an input object are independent from any track or aux listening to that input, normally the fader is closed. You could use it to accomplish things on top of the normal workflow, for instance feed that input signal back to your singer at all times regardless of any track's rec-status.

I am asking if the input objects audio can be passed through to the track but not the speakers.

I almost hesitate to add this extra information to this because as fuzzfilth, I don't believe you should be using input objects in the first place, unless your goal is only to experiment and gain an understanding of how signal routing works in Logic only to end up realizing you shouldn't be using input objects in a real world workflow. But if you wan to experiment, then note that you can set the input objects output slot to no output, in which case the audio still goes to the track but is not passed through to the speakers.

thanks for this thread tho, i didn't know they exist until two days ago, and i actually need it now.

I have a very big live concert template setup, with live input routed to many auxes, for FX, for monitoring etc, and with the recent track the need arised for some 100% wet inline FX, and by far the easiest fastest way to achieve it is to apply it directly to the input strip. :)

nothing is recorded, and even if it were it's not a problem, this saves me rerouting everything through another AUX.

since it's automatable and can be in arrange, it's even better. This is great. Thanks.