Dual monitors and MCU switch between Mixer and Arrange

ralphonz

Hello fellow music makers,

I've a new Qcon Pro X control surface (which works using the MCU protocol). I have two monitors, one with a full screen mixer and the other with a full screen arrange window. As some key commands are only available in one window or the other I'd like to be able to switch focus from one window to the other using my control surface, otherwise I have to move my arm all the way to the track pad and click the other window! (i know, I know, super lazy first world problems!!) But this really would improve my workflow.

Anyone know of a command to switch windows rather than open and close them? Opening and closing windows just gets rid of my full screen view and I want both windows visible on their respective monitors at all times.

And many controllers can send ascii information (computer keyboard key combinations) that is user configurable. So you could program those buttons (if your controller has them) to send those key command combinations. Then you can do this from the controller itself and not have to use the computer keyboard.

It's just a case of knowing what the key commands are called. The names aren't always obvious or logical... I can assign them within seconds once I know what they're called!!

Cool. Didn’t know if you knew that or if your controller could send them. Figured it could as it’s an awesome controller. How do you like it?

Yeah, actually it got a lot of bad reviews online but it's working great for me. Support have been excellent. There are one or two gripes - lack of master fader meter (which apparently is apples/MCU protocol fault) and the second display doesn't really do anything (by the faders). I suggested to Icon that it be used to mirror the primary display up by the meters as it would be useful to see track names right next to the faders. Also, using the USB ports on the back of the Pro X makes my whole system crash and Icons advice was to buy a different USB hub! It's okay as long as I use a different port on my computer for the extender unit. The faders can be a bit jumpy as well, sometimes touching one causes the value to jump a dB or so which is annoying.

Those are all the bad things though, it's an amazing controller, I'm discovering quicker ways of doing things every day. By and large it's working great with Logic X and Live 10.