Listing unused key modifiers

Akitru
Go to solution Solved by Akitru,

This is either a tip or a question...

As a Question:

How can I get a list of the currently unused key modifiers, so I can know what's available for adding some of my own?

As a Tip:

If there's no good answer, then maybe the workaround way I've used it so far will serve as a tip:

Bring up the Key Commands window (Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Edit ⎇K). With All selected, click on the settings icon in the upper right of the popup and choose Copy Key Commands to Clipboard. This will render it as a tab-delimited text file in your clipboard. Open Numbers (or LibreOffice, Excel, etc.) and it should paste properly in multiple columns. Sort the entire spreadsheet by the third column (keystroke).

You can now scan through this list, sorted by keystrokes actually in use, to visually find gaps implying keystrokes not used, thus avoiding blind trial and error when assigning key combos.

Example attached (based on LPX 10.4.8 default assignments), after a bit of cosmetic column shifting.

(I think some spreadsheet maestro could probably create a spreadsheet that would bang this against a master keystroke list to generate a more succinct list of key combos not used.)

Anyway, if someone now has a better way, please let me know! Tx

Logic Key Commands - Used Sorted.pdf

• Solution

As a follow-up to my own question, I created a spreadsheet that generates a list of unused key commands by munging on the exported used keys list from the Key Commands Window. The first attached pdf is a list of over 400 unused key combos for factory default Logic Pro X version 10.4.8. That can be a useful reference to avoid a lot of trial and error to find unused key combos for a command you want to assign.

Logic Pro Unused Key Mods.pdf

This second pdf provides some comments and caveats about this list, as well as instructions in case you want to create your own similar list (to reflect keys you've already used in your customizations, for a different version of LPX, etc.).

Logic Pro Unused Key Mods Guide.pdf

Lastly is the spreadsheet (zipped).

Logic Pro Unused Key Mods.xlsx.zip

I shall now emerge from this interesting but claustrophobic rabbit hole...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

@Bilbo Calvez,

Logic Pro menu > Key Commands > Edit assignments... or Option + K

J.

Thank you and sorry, I found it already. My window has a white background, that's why I didn't recognise it ! For anybody, who didn't notice: if you select "pressed", you can actually press a keyboard combination an see where it is used! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for leading me there)

• Like 1