consistent crash when opening a project directly

guavadude

I'm getting a consistent crash when opening a project directly in the Finder or choosing it when the Logic app is opening.

The plugins and VIs in the project are loading up until about 3/4 of the way and then it crashes with no crash report being generated.

If I create a New Project, close that and then open the problem project, it again crashes at the same point of loading. This has been happening regularly now

on different projects so I don't think it's just one bad project file.

Now this is what's weird, if I open an earlier version of the problem project, then close that, the problem project opens perfectly and I can close and open it from Logic's Recent list several times with no issue. I've trashed my prefs, I've given permissions to everything in my AU folder. I just can't figure out why it won't work when chosen directly but will work after Logic has been warmed up with an earlier version.

thx

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still struggling with this. When it crashes while loading, I can see the plugins that are used in the session loading and then it crashes at 3/4 of the way through the process. What order are the plugins in a session loaded? It doesn't look like it's in the order as they occur in the tracks. Is it alphabetical by manufacturer? If I knew this I might be able to try to narrow down the list of what could be the issue and if it's plugin related or not.

yes, everything seems to be fine in PM. I have re-organized some things in PM, can that cause issues? I hope not because I couldn't imagine going back to not having my plugins organized.

I was just wondering if there's a method to the loading of the plugins in a session. Seems like it might be in order of tracks but hard to tell. Really trying to nail the issue down now. thx

will you guys with the same issue please send Feedback to Logic team. thx

I've tried EVERYTHING and can't track this down. When looking at the musicapps.log from the Create Support File I am seeing an error from the InstallerHelperTool which I understand to be the app that helps install the Sound Library in Logic. The library manager also looks off, seems like everything has been download when I know I didn't download all the surround files and had those unchecked. I tried moving the sound library to an external drive thinking that might help and it's something I've been meaning to do but no difference.

I'm now trying the option to reinstall the library. I'll circle back if this makes a difference. If I want to reinstall Logic completely, do I just delete the app and use the App Store again?

I did try the crashing session with 10.4.7 and had the same issue.

I haven't zapped the PRAM but I did start up in SAFE mode and then the session did load but that doesn't really count because all the drivers are turned off so no audio loaded and no plugins. I've also checked and updated all the plugins I could and updated the USB driver for my RME UFX. I think it's in the sound library helper somehow and that must be loading in the background while the plugins used in the session are being loaded. That's why it looks like it's crashing in the same place every time.

Try this... open logic and set the audio device input and output ti no device. Then close and reopen logic and see if it crashes when trying to open same project. If not, once project is open set the input and output to whatever you have now. Does it crash then? Also try using macs built in audio for audio and see if it still does it.

If it crashes without any audio device set, it’s probably not related to interface. If it crashes as soon as you connect the interface it’s possibly the interface. If it then doesn’t crash with built in interface, it’s related to your interface. If it crashes when using built in audio, it’s not the interface but maybe could be a core audio issue.

But if it crashes without any interface connected, move on to plugins. Freeze all tracks (post plugins) and change the setting that makes logic not load unused plugins. All plugins should be greyed out when opening a project because all tracks are frozen. If it still crashes, it’s not a plugin issue. If it doesn’t, try unfreezing one track, then close and reopen. Continue to do this until all tracks are unfrozen or it crashes. If it crashes without any plugins being active (all tracks still frozen) it’s not a plugin issue. If it doesn’t crash with no plugins loaded, but does crash at some point after unfreezing a track, a plugin on that track may be the issue. Then just delete the plugins one at a time (closing and reopening each time) until you find the culprit. If deleting all the plugins on the problem track doesn’t fix it, it may be a corrupted audio file on the track. Or maybe a buggy track. Try making a new track and move the audio to it and see if that fixes it. If not try deleting the region and see if that does it.

If none of that makes any difference, then you’ve ruled out plugins, and audio interface issues, as well as a bad track or a bad audio file on a track. If you still haven’t narrowed it down to a particular track, audio file, interface, etc., export the active alternative as a new project and include assets. Now go into the file browser (inside logic) and try deleting audio files one at a time to see if it’s a corrupt or errant audio file.

ok, I'm beat down now, been dealing with this off and on for weeks and REALLY tried to narrow it down for two days straight now. I've pretty much gone through everything you've suggested short of the freezing idea but it's not a problem with the session not working or the interface or I don't think plugins either. It's a loading issue.

If I load the session directly from the alias in the dock, it crashes at the same place in the loading every time. If I successfully load a different session, close that, then I can open and close the crashing session with NO issue. If it were a bad session, or plugin issue, it wouldn't magically be fixed just by opening it in a different manner. And the exact same thing seems to be happening to the other user(s) above.

I've attached the help profile if someone can read through that mess. Logic Tech "Mike" emailed me about it and I sent the file to him but they don't usually write back.

At this point I think I want to reinstall Logic. When in doubt, reinstall is usually a good plan.

Logic Pro X_SupportProfile_20200213_171923.tgz.zip

At some point in the past my issue (though slightly different) went away. I did reinstall logic but didn’t think to check then. At some point recently I tried it and it works correctly now. So don’t know if it was the reinstall that fixed it or not. Definitely worth a try and could fix other issues you don’t even know you have so could be worth it either way. Things got so much more stable after a reinstall, that I think I’ll probably do it on a semi-regular basis from now on.

If you get a crash report, look thru it. There are a lot of paragraphs they are labelled Thread 1, thread 2, thread 3. Find the one that crashed, You will quite often see the name of the problem plug-in mentioned a few times.

Open Logic with a new empty template.. Then go to audio prefs, and shut off audio system. Try loading the problem song. On each channel that has a plug-in make a channel strip for it. I also rename the audio region to reflect the plug-in. or take a desktop picture (several). When all plug-in tracks have a saved channel strip, and channel reset to no plug-in, turn audio set-up back on.

Load in problem song. The reset the channel strips to the plug-in. I would turn the plug-in tracks to audio at this point, reset channel strip to 'no plug-in' This will at least get you to the point, where you should get all your tracks functioning. To find the bad plug-in you are going to have to save the song project, close and re-open to find the troublesome plug-in.

Sometimes you can open a new empty song. then IMPORT the bogus song project. Sometimes that fixes the problem. The song got corrupted somehow, and result in project crashing when it saw a certain plug-in, even though it was ok.

I am familiar with this type of crash - it's typically triggered when loading a plug-in that requires load-time license authentication, or load-time remote version checking. A failure in either of these processes can result in an uncontrolled Logic crash.

The failure and crash occur when loading a plug-in for the first time in a session via a project file.

Opening the same plug-in for the first time in a new or already open project does not cause a crash.

After opening the plug-in for the first time in a session, then loading a project containing the same plug-in results in a normal (crash free!) project load.

I experienced this issue with certain Waves plug-ins prior to V11: I needed to cold-open the plug-in(s) in a new project prior to opening my work project(s). FYI - Waves recently updated their V11 license engine - this is available via the Waves Central application.

I have also observed the crashing issue with certain plug-ins that authenticated with either iLok or eLicenser: updating iLok License Manager and eLicenser Control Center to the latest versions typically resolved the issue.

Another potential crash scenario involves opening projects where the included plug-in(s) have been updated to newer versions since the project was last opened: the newer version of the plug-in may crash when interpreting the older plug-in data.

The crashing plug-in is usually identified in the Logic Pro crash log - this can be examined via the Console application: Console > User Reports or Console > Crash Reports. The plug-in path (location), ID and version are listed near the top of the crash log.

Removing then re-installing the identified plug-in(s) can help.

• 2 years later...