Logic terminates bluetooth connection to Korg's microKEY Air

mclight

When working on the road I got a small and light keyboard controller from Korg (microKEY Air). You can connect it via USB or Bluetooth. The later one is achieved via Audio/Midi-Setup (Bluetooth connection window - connect - done). I had no problems in the past with this setup. But now I have moved to a new MacBook Pro 16'' ... which comes with Catalina (no downgrade possible). It seems like Logic terminates the Bluetooth MIDI connection. As soon as I launch Logic I can see in Audio/Midi-Setup that the connection is killed and Logic displays the message zero Midi inputs are available (which is utterly correct :| )

If I connect via USB there's no problem. Logic knows the keyboard controller, displays "1 Midi Input" and identifies all Midi signals correctly. If I connect via Bluetooth and start Ableton Live instead of Logic the connection is NOT terminated and I can use the keyboard normally. But as soon as I start Logic the Bluetooth connection is history ... :?

Any suggestions? :?:

I know I can use USB instead of Bluetooth. But a wireless connection saves me a USB cable + USB-C adapter (= 2 cables less). And when working in narrow spaces (eg. on the train) no cables are a blessing. So I hope somebody can help - thx! :D

I don‘t recall having been asked for some kind of permission. The process is similar to connecting any other BT-device (like a trackpad). The system searches for it and provided BT was activated on the device it‘s found and then you can connect. This works like it always used to. And the keyboard works with Ableton Live. But as soon as I start Logic it kills the BT connection.

Regarding Logic Controller Setup: do you mean the Control Surface Window? AFAIK the setup window is used for manually adding a control surface. This can‘t be done for a controller that is not connected. As for the Control Surface window: no, there‘s nothing unduly there.

Hm, seems I‘m stuck ... :-(

Thx for the hint + link. But Korg advises to use the standard BT connection and you should even deinstall any Korg drivers if you run OS Catalina. As I have no problem connecting and everything works when using other programs than Logic I'm pretty sure it's somehow linked to Logic ... but how?

Weird. Some light googling turned up what seems to be your issue on a forum for another bluetooth device I have (that works without problem for me).

One user claims deleting all caches solved the issue, another claims to have identified the particular file: Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

https://www.cme-pro.com/forum-index/topic/xkey-air-disconnection-problem-with-logic-pro-x/

No idea - YMMV. Good luck.

Thx a lot Lutefiasco! I had been searching the web too before posting here, but that one didn't turn up. I've read through the thread and want to give this a try.

However, I wondered what else will be gone once I delete this file "com.apple.logic.pro.cs"? AFAIK this are the prefs for the control surface, right? So will this somehow hurt other connected stuff (like my Komplete Kontrol Keyboard or Logic Remote)?

...However, I wondered what else will be gone once I delete this file "com.apple.logic.pro.cs"? AFAIK this are the prefs for the control surface, right?
Indeed...

So will this somehow hurt other connected stuff (like my Komplete Kontrol Keyboard or Logic Remote)?
I would test by moving that file instead of deleting same definitely...

• 2 months later...
Besides messing up my current control surface this didn't solve the problem. Luckily I've followed Atlas' advice and replacing the cs file by the old one cleaned up the mess. However, guess I've to live with this - no more Micro Key Air via Bluetooth with Logic ... at least the cable works. :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so, what with a new laptop and Sod's law, I'm now dealing with this issue in the brand new LPX 10.5. The discussion here (https://xkeyair.com/forum-index/topic/xkey-air-disconnection-problem-with-logic-pro-x/), which I had linked to months ago, now has a solution: deleting the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file and replacing it with an identically named locked text file.

OK, so, what with a new laptop and Sod's law, I'm now dealing with this issue in the brand new LPX 10.5. The discussion here (https://xkeyair.com/forum-index/topic/xkey-air-disconnection-problem-with-logic-pro-x/), which I had linked to months ago, now has a solution: deleting the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file and replacing it with an identically named locked text file.

I've read this discussion you've linked. Did I get this right: the "solution" proposed is replacing the current CS-Pref file by a blank one?!? Won't that "kill" my control surface altogether?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
i've used my cme air numerous times with logic, without issue (altho not recently). will check it out again when i get a chance. connecting is a little convoluted, but i didn't get dropouts, or lose connection. i know i have to connect thru the audio/midi app, to establish a connection... anyway, will report back when i get to this.

Or, if a person were _super_ clever, they would update the firmware of the Korg NanoKey Studio to the most recent version, and the problem would be solved without deleting control surface preference files.

I have updated my microKEY2 Airs (25 and 37) to the most recent firmware, and still have Logic terminate the bluetooth connection as soon as it's formed (if Logic is already loaded), or as soon as Logic is loaded (if I connect they keyboard before I load Logic).

So I can be using either keyboard with Pianoteq, happy as a clam. Then I load Logic, and the BT connection is immediately nuked; the previous "Connected" indicator in MIDI Studio disappears, and Pianoteq stops responding to the keyboard.

If I connect the keyboard AFTER I start Logic, it shows up... for a second or less. Logic displays its little notification indicating it sees the new MIDI input and output. Then it immediately displays another notification showing that the MIDI input and output are gone.

I've actually had it work intermittently but I don't know what's driving that sometimes success.

EDIT: Interesting new behavior. On my Catalina machine, I can connect it SOMETIMES. I try again and again, and eventually it might work. This time it connected after six tries; ten or twenty tries is more common. I played with it, no problems... but the instant I clicked Logic Pro X | Preferences | MIDI, the LPX notification appeared that the input had disappeared. I am running on Catalina without the Korg USB MIDI driver, removed as recommended by their current uninstaller.

• 1 month later...
You can add me to the list of frustrated users. I have the exact same symptoms using the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio in Bluetooth Mode in Logic. Works fine when connected via USB, but I bought it specifically to use wirelessly! The moment Logic has finished loading, boom, there goes the bluetooth connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In my environment, the following method was connection successful.

1. Launch the Audio MIDI setup apps.

2. Open MIDI Network Settings from MIDI Studio in the top menu.

3. Click to "+" button on bottom of session window.

Session1 will be added.

screenshot01.png.691d57e08eed9b13c7c2e67c900bdc80.png

Attempt to connect to Micro key air in this state.

I don't know if this method will work for everyone.

screensho02.png.dd697488456782e03625f86c9958247e.png

P.S. Sorry if my English is unnatural.