Select of Remove overlapping audio regions

TequilaKez

Ok so I'm a no overlaps guy, colleague loves his overlaps and whenever I get a session back there are always sections next to cuts with Extra overlapping pieces of audio laying underneath the playing regions. If it's all playing nice, no harm, but when I want to start warping, looping, chopping, grouping, these things are are real pest!

So I'm looking for a command like 'hold alt' or something when selecting a region to select the one underneath thats not playing so I can delete them.

'Remove Overlaps' sounds like a good idea, but it's erratic and usually decides to delete the topmost playing region which is obviously not what I want.

Moving regions out of the way temporarily is a nice workaround for small unlinked clips, but when you're working with 8ch multitracks that are grouped and phase aligned, this is a world of pain.

So is there not a simple way to select underlying regions?

My main issue with overlaps is that I can't see some of the regions (or portions of regions) that are on the track, and that may in some case be playing back! Huge no-no for my own personal workflow.

When I get a section like that the first thing I do is choose Track > Other > New Track For Overlapped Regions. Now I can see everything.

Now keeping in mind that for audio, Logic will always start playing a new region when it encounters a region start, giving it priority over whatever region was currently playing, I can tell what's playing when.

Next, I always work in No Overlap and with Limit Dragging to One Direction selected in my Tracks area, so all I have to do is decide on which track is going to be the final track (usually the top one), then drag the regions I want to hear from the other tracks to that track. Once I'm done I can delete the other tracks.

My main issue with overlaps is that I can't see some of the regions (or portions of regions) that are on the track, and that may in some case be playing back! Huge no-no for my own personal workflow.

When I get a section like that the first thing I do is choose Track > Other > New Track For Overlapped Regions. Now I can see everything.

Now keeping in mind that for audio, Logic will always start playing a new region when it encounters a region start, giving it priority over whatever region was currently playing, I can tell what's playing when.

Next, I always work in No Overlap and with Limit Dragging to One Direction selected in my Tracks area, so all I have to do is decide on which track is going to be the final track (usually the top one), then drag the regions I want to hear from the other tracks to that track. Once I'm done I can delete the other tracks.

Yep I'm pretty immunised to it in my own workflow, in fact I never seem to generate these stacked layers of regions, just they are always present when I work with some other people as they have different setups. I think the main culprit are the functions in "Cut/Insert Time". It's generally not a huge problem, but when things are just being really wacky and I can't figure out why because it looks right ons screen, without a doubt every time it's these pesky little slices that end up underneath other regions, sometimes only a few ms long. And yes I've used 'New Track For Overlapped Regions' but try that on 10 mic multitrack group that's got flex time on it and see how it goes! For some reason these little wayward slices play havoc with flextime markers which is generally why I need to eliminate them. But it can be an hour job cleaning a whole project when there's no freakin way to select the damn things!

I hear you! :( But I can't think of a better/quicker way to do it. Maybe Edit > Select > Overlapped Regions (Shift-O) can be of some help if you would rather work one section at a time?

Oh nice I missed that one actually! Better than hunting for those dashed lines. I think a combination of that, and making friends with the event list is the best way to go. Thanks for the tip.