Mac mini Core Overload Solved - a surprising solution

songseeds

Okay, I'm one of the ones who can't afford the new Mac Pro so I moved from a Mac Pro cheese grater ('09 2.93GHz 8-core) into that snazzy new 2018 3.2GHz 6-core Mac Mini after reading the impressive Geekbench benchmarks. It's got HDMI out so I got me an awesome 4k 40-inch monitor (which works well for me since my seated position is 43 inches from the screen). However running that monitor at 4k makes for some pretty small text (love the screen real estate though!). So I decided to use it scaled down to the 3200 x 1800 resolution just to make things a bit more legible.

All was going great and then I decided to bring out my Waves Abbey Road Chambers reverb plugin for a 60s tinged song I was producing. Absolutely could not use this lovely little CPU hogging plugin. Hit play and snap crackle and pop filled my monitors. Did ALL of the system optimizing tricks but to no avail. Searched and searched the internet but nothing worked (Apple docs say nothing about the solution to my problem). Then I came across a video talking about monitor resolutions deteriorating effect on Mac mini performance. I thought that couldn't possibly be it but I was desperate so I gave it a try.

Turns out that was EXACTLY the problem. Once I clicked the "Default for display" checkbox in my System Preferences/Display window the core that was overloading went from over 100% to about 40%. YES THAT big of a drop!

So I post this here not because I'm seeking the answer to a question but instead hoping someone else having the same problem will find it. I do not know if this is a problem with just Mac minis or whether other machines without a separate video card also have the same problem.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: if you want to buy a 4k monitor for this machine be ready to use it at the 4k resolution for maximum performance. You may not like how small the screen components (text and layout items) are at 4k though so be forewarned.

I had the exact same experience. I couldn't figure out why the mini was so good generally, but could't keep up with my 2015 MBP when tracking VI's. In fact, the mini was terrible at this and since I use VI's all the time it was threatening to be a deal breaker. I was running my 43" 4k monitor at 3360 x 1890 and remembered that someone had posted about having to use the default resolution with the crappy gpu on the mini. Since I'd tried everything else, I moved the resolution to native 3840 x 2160 and, like you, I saw the cpu drop like crazy and all the crackles and audio pops disappear. It seems strange to me that the one and only core that's processing Logic's live audio should also have to manage the screen resolution processing since there are 5 other cores doing almost nothing, but that seems to be the case. So, my solution is to leave my system display panel open and switch resolutions when I'm working in Logic. The machine switches over quickly and I have everything laid out in both resolutions so I can use whichever resolution works best for the job I'm on at the moment. I'm still considering adding an egpu, but this workaround is pretty good for now. I do love all the screen real estate!

Having lived for a few days on a fairly big mix I'm currently doing I have to say after doing a restart and running the mini WITHOUT screen scaling THIS is the performance documented on Geekbench and which I was hoping for.

Check this out:

I'm running an Abbey Road Chamber, 11 Fab Filter Pro-Q3s, 8 Sonnox Oxford Limiters, 8 Slate Virtual Mix Racks, 5 TH-U Slate amp sims, 6 Soundtoys Microshifts, 1 Waves CLA-2A, 1 Waves MaxxBass, 1 Native Instruments RAUM reverb, and 1 Slate FG-Red Virtual Buss Compressor.

With all of that, my Performance meter is showing work on 6 of the 12 threads (6 are doing nothing). The AR Chamber thread floats around 40-50% and the other 5 are UNDER 25%.

This mini absolutely smokes my old '09 Mac Pro 8-core.

i have a 4K screen, LG Ultrafine, but i used it at exactly 2x resolution (4096x2304, looks like 2048x1152), it performs better this way.

I did notice that switching it to non-retina (lo res 2048x1152, so every pixel occupies 4 pixels on the panel) performs even better.. but looks blocky.

so no need to use 1:1 resolution, but 1:2 is a good idea. odd ratios become sloppy on the POS GPU that it has.

thinking of getting eGPU down the line.

Thanks for this... For years I've been running my 2009 Cheese Grater (though I'm lactose intolerant, so I use the Nutmilk Cheese Grater :)

It's a great machine (pun intended) but at some point, all good things must pass. So I'm glad to hear there's a nice alternative with the M.M. Plus.. it's so cute!

For years I've been running my 2009 Cheese Grater

Same here. I'm on Mojave with a Metal graphics card and that's the highest this amazing Apple product (probably the best they ever did) will go.

So the moment Thunderbolt or USB-C is the only option, that's when the switch will happen!

tbh that's pretty amazing, for all the flak apple gets for "killing products" and "planned obsolence"

11 years and still running nearly latest os (and probably latest most audio people would touch) is incredible imo.

I had the 2008 2xQuad, it was a fun lil bugger.

I just transitioned to a 43" 4 k screen

Is that sitting on your desk or did you put it up higher?

It is sitting on my desk (Ultimate Support Nucleus Z) but the desk is taller than average. This actually works for me because I like to be able to play standing up. I have a keyboard and trackpad on both levels and using a combination of Logic Remotes and Automap Key Commands I can do a lot without touching the computer keyboard and trackpad.

(for some reason this photo posts upside down, i've rotated it but is still happens)

IMG_6053.thumb.JPG.d92fcc3c1f873f93f9652baa5901cccf.JPG

Edited by redgreenblue

jesus do you have super eyes? i struggle at the largest scale resolution.

Far from it, I've had bifocals since I was 16. The size of the display makes the type not too small for Logic. I have increased the font size a bit on browsers but this is like having 4 displays, whereas before I had two 21" displays, so this is a big improvement. I also do a lot of the work standing up and I'm not that far away from the display. And, you know...glasses.

• 3 months later...
Interesting. The system does warn you about performance hits on scaling. I never noticed on my MP6,1 but see now this is meant for Macs with the integrated graphics. I’m running 3 monitors with the center being a 32” 4K but have it scaled up so I can see it better...forget the exact resolution. The default though is like 1024 so no I’m not using that Apple.