Logic 10.4.8 GUI Lag/Slow

Kraft

Hi guys,

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.4.8 on macOS Catalina 10.5.1 in a nMP 12-Core; 32GB Ram; 1TB SSD; Radeon Pro 580x. I'm using a Dell 32'' 4k monitor as my main (DisplayPort to USB-C) and a Dell 27'' 1440p as my secondary (HDMI).

I did a fresh install of everything so I didn't migrate from a previous machine.

Everything is working great except some serious lag in the Logic Pro GUI. It shows the most while zooming in and out in arrangement, while copying and dragging large amounts of midi/audio regions and also, when I split something with the scissors, the dialog pop asking If I want to split is not fluid. If I move the Logic window to the 27'' screen the lag is a bit less but still a lot.

Does anybody know what's going on here? I can't remember having this issue with my iMac 2013.

Thank you

I just did some tests and the problem is much worse when I'm completely zoomed in the arrangement and try to copy stuff. If I zoom out it's pretty fast and responsive.

Also, using just the 27'' screen improves it more than I thought. It's still not snappy but I don't have to wait so much time for stuff to duplicate and move around.

Sorry to hear that, did you sort it out?

I’m running my Mac Pro with low resolution (in the system OS not logic) engaged and it’s helping a bit.

When the project gets crowded though it starts to lag.

It turned out to be RAM pressure. Even with 64GB if I have my template loaded in VEP and then I start adding some other ram heavy instruments I run into the issue. Working on a couple solutions for that.

• 1 year later...
It's not a RAM issue. I have the same problem. On two machines, one with 64GB RAM and one with 128GB RAM. My problems start with high track count, even if there's nothing loaded. Sometimes it helps restarting Logic, but usually not. I watched your video @Kraft, and it seems we have similar issues. If I can't solve this, I'm going to have to switch DAW, this is increasing my frustration levels with 1000% everytime I have to work (which is every day).

It's not a RAM issue. I have the same problem. On two machines, one with 64GB RAM and one with 128GB RAM. My problems start with high track count, even if there's nothing loaded. Sometimes it helps restarting Logic, but usually not. I watched your video @Kraft, and it seems we have similar issues. If I can't solve this, I'm going to have to switch DAW, this is increasing my frustration levels with 1000% everytime I have to work (which is every day).

Funny you brought this up as I had gotten used to it, but after working in Cubase for a recent project when I went back the large template just was very laggy as well. I'm having to use a scales resolution because the MP6,1 wants to run the 32" 4k monitor at 1080 and that's a big nope. It only seems to be an issue with a large template...even with disabled tracks. My issues seem the same as @Kraft.

I should see if I can load the template with having all the plugins handing in my M1 MBA.