How can i sample external source with Maschine VST inside of logic pro X?

SoSpiro

I'm not even sure if it'd be best to ask this in the maschine forums, but i was still unsuccessful with the advice they had and all the other threads i've researched over there and tutorials i've seen (which all used older versions), so this is just a shot in the dark at this point.

I'm using maschine as a VST inside of logic and trying to sample external source (sounds from youtube through my computer etc.), but i am not getting any input signal from either maschine OR logic. when i use maschine standalone, it works fine, but i am lost with this maschine VST mode. These are my current settings, and i'd be happy if someone, ANYONE, can just take me through each and every step because i've went over everything multiple times and cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong for the life of me.

route1.png.f965b2fe245db591e022bd44eb5bdb2d.png

route2.png.0a27bd554ef07db0b47bac0744046110.png

route3.png.f5b40990c771dbbca597fc2ca1b51392.png

route4.png.cfde3692df805e46e70c4c1fac6f5299.png

route5.png.3177738c4c5b5dacf393f5931ffa1119.png

route6.png.f4c37cb7bc26b3d7370cc511270be34f.png

Ok, so you want to route audio which exists outside Logic into that sidechain channel in Maschine. I've done this countless times (but not with Maschine), so I'd be shamed of myself if I can't help a little!

The way I do it is I made an Aggregate Device which contains my main soundcard ins and outs, AND SoundFlower (which can download here https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower ) 2 channel ins and outs. Then I go to MacOS Sound Output preferences and switch it to SoundFlower, so the sounds from your browser are redirected through SoundFlower. And then in Logic set the input device to your new Aggregate Device (which has both your sound card and SoundFlower defined). Finally, assuming you're on the latest version of Logic, you can select Input from the SideChain menu in Maschine and there you go!

You can check the Audio Devices window in "Audio/MIDI setup" (in Applications -> Utilities) to find out which channel your SoundFlower routed audio is coming into Logic on, but it shouldn't take you long to figure out.

Ok, so you want to route audio which exists outside Logic into that sidechain channel in Maschine. I've done this countless times (but not with Maschine), so I'd be shamed of myself if I can't help a little!

The way I do it is I made an Aggregate Device which contains my main soundcard ins and outs, AND SoundFlower (which can download here https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower ) 2 channel ins and outs. Then I go to MacOS Sound Output preferences and switch it to SoundFlower, so the sounds from your browser are redirected through SoundFlower. And then in Logic set the input device to your new Aggregate Device (which has both your sound card and SoundFlower defined). Finally, assuming you're on the latest version of Logic, you can select Input from the SideChain menu in Maschine and there you go!

You can check the Audio Devices window in "Audio/MIDI setup" (in Applications -> Utilities) to find out which channel your SoundFlower routed audio is coming into Logic on, but it shouldn't take you long to figure out.

thank you for explaining this. I see soundflower being recommended a lot, but figured i wouldn't need a third party device since i already have a loopback system set up with my MK3, soundcard, and even my SP404? Do i need this because logic does not allow external source sampling??

It isn't a case of "Logic doesn't allow external source sampling" because it does! You just have to direct your sound into the soundcard device so Logic can 'extract' it. I'm not sure of the routing capabilities of the Maschine device so I can't really talk about that.

Without another experienced Maschine user to help here, I would just go with the SoundFlower and Aggregate Device solution.